Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke30 With 4K Troubles.

Featured Replies

  • Author

Ok after many questions with friends and some mechanics at work they said it could be due to the torque converter coming too far forward on the shaft causing it to misalign. This seems to make sense as everything else seems good.

I'll try gain access to it over the next couple of days and see if it free spins like it's meant to and get it to align again.

 

Will post if successful.

 

Thanks guys

I thought the torque converter bolted to the flex plate, the plate that replaces the flywheel in a manual. So the torque converter is fixed in place.

 

Mind you, I've never owned an auto, only pulled them out.

Thats my understanding also,auto has a flex plate mounted to the crank,not a flywheel and the converter is mounted to the flex plate and then when you fit the auto you slide the splines into the converter,this was the case on my 4k auto anyway!

How far forward converter goes on shaft would depend on thickness of plate between bellhousing and block.

 

don't know if it matters tho. Could be different thickness of 3k / 4k plate

don't know if possible or what it looks like, but if flexplate is dished and flipped it could also

cause the converter to be in the wrong place

Nah- flexplate is flat.

 

maybe possible to put it on the crank backwards. The torque converter bolts on via the the holes at the outside edge.

post-7544-0-69116400-1358802701_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Is there a difference between the 3k and 4k ring gears? I highly doubt there would have been.

However that said, working in spare parts for Toyota I've seen more than my fair share of stupid supersessions and minor design changes for no particular reason.

 

I don't believe I've bolted the ring gear on incorrectly. That middle protrusion in the ring gear should recess into the hole at the back of the crank area, where the otherwise spigot bush/bearing would sit if a manual if I'm not mistaken?

If I am, well....that's probably my problem hahaha.

That middle protrusion in the ring gear should recess into the hole at the back of the crank area, where the otherwise spigot bush/bearing would sit if a manual if I'm not mistaken?

 

I reckon. It was quite random, but the flywheel and the flex panel are the same way up in each photo. If you enlarge it you can see where the starter gears hit the flex plate in the top photo, so that side goes onto the crank.

  • Author

So it appears I have installed it correctly. I'm hoping the issue is a simple misalignment and nothing more.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll keep you posted.

Is there a difference between the 3k and 4k ring gears?

 

 

Didnt mean ring gears.. I meant the thin sandwich plate that goes between the gearbox and engineblock.

It comes in at least two different thicknesses. Should be ok if you used the one from your original 3k auto setupp

  • Author

I had given up by Wednesday night and took it to a local workshop my workplace has a good relationship with.

Torque converter was slightly misaligned, but not badly enough I couldn't engage any gears at all.

No vac leaks.

Needed another 2.5L of trans fluid - which is strange as I dumped 4L into it as per owners manual said. Even for a dry fill it should have only been about 4.5?

Perhaps the torque converter itself had dumped all its fluid.

 

Still hunts for idle a bit, not nearly as bad though and appears to be quite drivable and it feels amazing to be behind the wheel again.

 

Thanks to everyone who provided knowledge and assistance as usual.

Members on here are so helpful in comparison to nissansilvia haha.

 

Thanks guys!

Josh

  • Author

Would have to be a substantial leak to drop 3L of fluid in my garage, would also need to be magical as I never saw it hahaha.

Torque converter was just dry I reckon.

 

Hasn't being leaking yet. Things are looking up.

Now you know why they have a dipstick!

 

Nice that it was a cheap and easy solution.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.