Ke30 With 4K Troubles.

shiryo

Ok after many questions with friends and some mechanics at work they said it could be due to the torque converter coming too far forward on the shaft causing it to misalign. This seems to make sense as everything else seems good.

I'll try gain access to it over the next couple of days and see if it free spins like it's meant to and get it to align again.

Will post if successful.

Thanks guys

Members dont see this ad

Thats my understanding also,auto has a flex plate mounted to the crank,not a flywheel and the converter is mounted to the flex plate and then when you fit the auto you slide the splines into the converter,this was the case on my 4k auto anyway!

Is there a difference between the 3k and 4k ring gears? I highly doubt there would have been.

However that said, working in spare parts for Toyota I've seen more than my fair share of stupid supersessions and minor design changes for no particular reason.

I don't believe I've bolted the ring gear on incorrectly. That middle protrusion in the ring gear should recess into the hole at the back of the crank area, where the otherwise spigot bush/bearing would sit if a manual if I'm not mistaken?

If I am, well....that's probably my problem hahaha.

That middle protrusion in the ring gear should recess into the hole at the back of the crank area, where the otherwise spigot bush/bearing would sit if a manual if I'm not mistaken?

I reckon. It was quite random, but the flywheel and the flex panel are the same way up in each photo. If you enlarge it you can see where the starter gears hit the flex plate in the top photo, so that side goes onto the crank.

Is there a difference between the 3k and 4k ring gears?

Didnt mean ring gears.. I meant the thin sandwich plate that goes between the gearbox and engineblock.

It comes in at least two different thicknesses. Should be ok if you used the one from your original 3k auto setupp

I had given up by Wednesday night and took it to a local workshop my workplace has a good relationship with.

Torque converter was slightly misaligned, but not badly enough I couldn't engage any gears at all.

No vac leaks.

Needed another 2.5L of trans fluid - which is strange as I dumped 4L into it as per owners manual said. Even for a dry fill it should have only been about 4.5?

Perhaps the torque converter itself had dumped all its fluid.

Still hunts for idle a bit, not nearly as bad though and appears to be quite drivable and it feels amazing to be behind the wheel again.

Thanks to everyone who provided knowledge and assistance as usual.

Members on here are so helpful in comparison to nissansilvia haha.

Thanks guys!

Josh