Sticky Tyres On Stock Rims- What's Available??

altezzaclub

The Girl's KE70 runs stock 4.5JJx13 rims, which in theory should have tyres up to 165 profile. Actually we're running 175/70s as I expect everyone does. The suspension is slightly lowered in the nose and it has a fat sway bar in the rear, with stiff rear shocks and stock wet struts in the nose.

The tyres are Falken Sincera and Bridgestone Turanza, a pair of each, and can best be described as 'adequate'... When I fit the 14x6 alloys with a 15year old set of Falken FK452s on, the grip is much greater and the steering sharper. Sadly the suspension & steering noise, the steering kick and the wheel bounce are also greater, so those rims sit on the Datsun 1600.

I'd like to stick to the stock rims, the cops don't give youa second glance with stockies on, but it appears the only tyres in that size are pretty awful. Sports tyres kick off in 15" these days it seems.

What is the best that people are using on stockies? Somewhere like Sydney's Putty Road or the Bylong Valley Way are the testing grounds, lots of 40-60kph corners. Anyone tried Toyo R888, or Yoko Advan A050, or Dunlop DZ03G?? Seems a shame to put out $1000 for 4x13" skinny tyres, but maybe that's what it takes.

Members dont see this ad

the toyo R888 is INCREDIBLE under all circumstaces....except wear. They have a treadwear rating of 100 i think. Ive tried it on an turbo rx7 (185/60R13) and ive driven my mates Westfield kit car with R888 (205/50R13 i think). Amazing tyres.

As you say, they cost a fortune though.

Its just a 4k powered corolla yeah? i woudlnt be spending that much on tyres.....

I had the kumho ke31 a few yrs back, i was impressed with it, especially in the wet, cheap too, do they come in stock sizes?

Edited by ke70dave

the toyo R888 is INCREDIBLE under all circumstaces....except wear. They have a treadwear rating of 100 i think. Ive tried it on an turbo rx7 (185/60R13) and ive driven my mates Westfield kit car with R888 (205/50R13 i think). Amazing tyres.

As you say, they cost a fortune though.

Its just a 4k powered corolla yeah? i woudlnt be spending that much on tyres.....

I had the kumho ke31 a few yrs back, i was impressed with it, especially in the wet, cheap too, do they come in stock sizes?

I'm with Dave on this one. Semi's will give huge amounts of grip but only last maybe 10,000km if your lucky.

Pretty sure the kuhmo ku31's come in a 175 for a 13" wheel. The other ones I've found that are really good grip for the money are the federal 595's.

Cheers Dave- The mighty 4K would never wear R888s out, but the cornering would..

The Khumos look good, but they only make a 185/55x14 the straight into 15s on their website. Maybe there is some old stock around..

http://kumho.com.au/products/ecsta-spt-ku31/

I'll check out the Federals thanks kickn.

I have the federal 595 RSR on the subi atm, which is sorta a semi slick apparently, but it has a treadwear of 140. great tyre i reckon, and my 16" ones were only $150 each. but i don't think they sell them in 13".

Ah I should have been a bit more specific sorry.

It's the 595ss your after.

Yokohama A-Drive 175/70 R13 haven't let me down and I do 50km of 80/100kph windy and straight road each way, for work everyday.

Lets just say, the thunder run from Beaudesert to Yatala is far from a good quality road.

Edited by GJM85

It sounds like those Federals are good.

So really, the stock 4.5" rim has got limitations in choice these days, although its probably more truthful to say the cheap tyres that fit it now as just as good as the best in 1980! Anyway, tyre tech has got way ahead of the 175/70 13s.

So the Yoko A-drive is a start, but otherwise it looks like getting wider 13" rims or going to 14", which I'd do if I'm going to change rims. That would open up the Federals the Khumos and Advans and all the other really good stuff.

Anyone know what the stock rims on a 1980s Corona are??