Super Newb Here But Happy To Be Here.

slamburglar

Hey all, (hopefully I don't get flamed for this because its in another thread just looking for help)

I'm Brian, just picked up my first Corolla. Been eyeing a few online for a while and finally found one with the right amount of miles, owners condition ect. Looking to get pointed in the right direction. As I don't know much about these cars yet all though I am learning. I started out with european cars such as Audi, Vw and now Volvo. Lost my precious Volvo wagon to a jackass that should have his license removed. So moving on from that decided to pick up a Corolla.

I showed some pictures to my friend and he said its a KE-30. Looking around on this forum ive been trying to figure out the differences between different Corollas. Such as KE-55, KE-38. Was thinking you guys could help me out. Super excited about this car. It is the daily for right now because of its awesome MPGs. can't wait to find something else to daily and get this baby in the garage full time.

Any input would be awesome. can't wait to put the right wheels on and lower it.

1978 Corolla "Deluxe" 5-spd.

I am the new proud 3rd owner.

150,000 original miles.

photo.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

IMG_20130125_152750.jpg

Edited by slamburglar

Members dont see this ad

This is no KE30, it would be a TE3* or something. Which are way better than KE30s because of the stronger engine/gearbox.

PS. That bonnet vent is dope!

Cool deal. Yeah like i said still trying to figure out everything on this car so i know what i can do to it as far as coilovers etc. When we checked out the car. The metal plate on the firewall says 2T or T2 can't remember exactly. And my drop light is toast or else id run out and double check.

And thanks I do really like the vent. When i drive it i tend to stare at it lol.

EDIT

------------------------------

Just looked at my title. Not sure if this means its TE3 or not (I'm assuming it does) The first 3 letters of the vin are TE3

Edited by slamburglar

Itll be a TE31, the T denoting that it has a T series engine. In your case it has a 2T. Aussie got KE30s, which had puss K engines. Youll also have a stronger drive line which makes engine conversions easier. The US got the better bersions, the only real better thing on Aussie KE30 is the full chrome bumpers.

As for chassis codes :

A 6 denotes panel van ie KE26 KE36

An 8 denotes 4 doof wagon ie KE38

A 5 is a coupe ie KE15 KE25 KE35

A 7 is the sprinter model KE17 TE27 TE37

But, i have a KE18 which is a 2 door wagon and the KE16 are pretty much the same car. It seems after the E3 series the different codes were dropped. E5's are all KE55, just coupes sedans and wagons. Same with KE70s. At least in the Aussie market.

Once you start digging there are so many differsnt versions in so many different markets it becomes hard to keep track.

I'm sure my info will be corrected, been playing with them for 5 years and i still feel like a noob.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Itll be a TE31, the T denoting that it has a T series engine. In your case it has a 2T. Aussie got KE30s, which had puss K engines. Youll also have a stronger drive line which makes engine conversions easier. The US got the better bersions, the only real better thing on Aussie KE30 is the full chrome bumpers.

As for chassis codes :

A 6 denotes panel van ie KE26 KE36

An 8 denotes 4 doof wagon ie KE38

A 5 is a coupe ie KE15 KE25 KE35

A 7 is the sprinter model KE17 TE27 TE37

But, i have a KE18 which is a 2 door wagon and the KE16 are pretty much the same car. It seems after the E3 series the different codes were dropped. E5's are all KE55, just coupes sedans and wagons. Same with KE70s. At least in the Aussie market.

Once you start digging there are so many differsnt versions in so many different markets it becomes hard to keep track.

I'm sure my info will be corrected, been playing with them for 5 years and i still feel like a noob.

Either way if its corrected or not its a lot of help to me man! Thanks. and btw Love the name haha.

now i guess my next question. In looking for coilovers for my fronts ive been looking on https://technotoytuning.com/ as far as the suspension goes. they list they have product for ke-20,30.70 te-27,37.... just not sure what i can use. not sure if because mine is a 3rd gen. it just falls under ke-30 stuff as far as that goes..

Thanks

Brian

All their ke30 te37 stuff will probably be identical. I'd avoid their Coilover kits, they are a slip on sleeve with a weld on plate.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah i just went out and looked at my metal plate. Guess i coulda checked that first haha. Well glad i know more about my car. Now just need to lower it to make it look better lol.

Brian

I saw an AE71 once where the guy had cut the springs so short it was sitting on bump stops.

lol! I know a Corona where he had smashed the bumps stops from riding on them, then the lower arm jammed on the chassis and the tyre sidewall was the only suspension he had.... No names... a member on here!