De Ja Vu

TOMMYS Ke 11

Well what can i say this time last year we were all ready to cruise to Picnic at Hanging Rock when we had a major engine failure destroying a new cam&lifters well you would'nt beleive it the same f--king problem has happend again.So it brings me to ask if any one else has had this problem 5k engine solid lifter conversionand if so did you find a solution cause this is realy starting to piss me of and is also costing a lot of money any help/info would be much apprciated and yes i've read all the articles on this conversion and havent done anything different so it realy has us stumped.

Cheers:-Stuart (Thomas dad).

Members dont see this ad

Hi there ;well the first time it totally destroyed the cam lobes and smash the bottom out of the lifters all this while running the new motor in on the dyno would not have done much more than 1hr of running time :bash: :bash: :bash: . This time we have managed around 6-7000km before destroying a full set of Isky lifters(not cheap) and left us trying to work out WHY.After a lot of talking with engine builder and my machinest we think we may have found the problem :yes: it looks like we may have been getting inner valve spring bind possibly at around 5500/6000 rev mark wich would be hammering the lifters to the cam :hammer: with the end result being we won't be making it to Picnic at Hanging Rock this year :lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry: any way we will keep you all informed as to progress as we move on (we don't QUIT) to much money spent to change paths now :no2: .

Cheers:-Stuart (Thomas dad).

Hi there Philby not sure of the brand other than they were double spring with 120lb on the seat but this time my machinest has found some performance single springs he can machine in to the head and still give us around 110-120lb on the seats so we hope this will be the end of our problem. We beleive the reason it lasted this long is that it was only getting spring bind at around 6000rpm on the inner spring and was'nt real bad bind but just enough to hammer the lifters which would have taken the hardnest out of them and the rest is history.(For sale one cam and set of Isky lifters just run in HAHAHA)But as i said erlier we don't quit and i have already pulled the block down cleaned and checked every thing and started to put it back together just got to wait for the new cam & lifters and we will be back in action.

Cheers:- Stuart (Thomas dad).