1Uzfe Auto + 1984 Ke70 (86,oook's 2Nd Owner) Conversion...

tavnam

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats very sad to hear Dave...... :,( ...... that would off been helpful Dave but i just purchased a full S13 SR20DET steering, suspension (with standard struts and springs) and brake package for $650 (shipped from brisbane to melb) and I'm picking up sum R31 LCA's from the local wreckers tmorro for $60. So looks like i now have the front end i wanted!!! now to get it in and make sum engine mounts to suit.

Sounds like you are off too a good start!

there is talk that you should upgrade the mastercylinder with the sr20 brakes, but i never compared the piston size between ke70 and sr20det brake calipers to confirm this. There are a few easy options around if its required.

You gonna make some coilovers from the standard struts?

also a note, the LCA bolt diamter is different between ke70 and r31 (ke70 12mm, s13 14mm?). I just drilled out my cross member to 14mm. but note you only need to drill out one side of the cross member, as the bolt is tapered and the thread end of the bolt is the same as ke70. hope this makes sense, but it will once you start assembling. i used R31 bolts in mine. when i swapped back to ae86 stuff i had to machine up a spacer to take up this "drilled out" amount in the cross member.

In regaurds too the LCA's the cross member is a s13 1 soo id say it will be 14mm anyways. Been a Qualified boilermaker I'm really not too worried when it comes to customising things to work (engine mounts and such)... i more so just need info on what are the best and most cost effective options when it comes to upgrading things.... i.e. the brake booster and things like that... but I'm sure i can sort something as my mate owns a wrecker thats full of 80's and 90's cars....

I will set the car up with the standard strut and spring combo. but if a good reasonably priced set of front coil overs pops up ill buy a set....

WIll start looking for a suitable diff soon aswell... again, I'm thinking of going with a r31 diff with r33 brake upgrade. depending on price... I'm not on a 'budget' as such I'm just planning on doing other things this year with my money...

• 1 month later...

Ok so I've ordered a timing belt kit, water pump and rear seal. The motors had a service and the filter in the auto's been cleaned and new dex3 has been put in. The 4k has been pulled out of the rolla along with the interior. Dash is the only thing remaining inside the car along with the sound deadening, which is coming out as well. The radiator and aircon setup has been pulled out. The hole front end has been pulled off to make way for the new motor and accessories. And I'm about to go 'HAM' on the firewall to make room for the 1uz and auto!!! So it's all happening. I'm selling a lot of parts to fund this project as well so check out my sale threads in the parts section and cars for sale as well.

• 1 month later...

- Sooooo i havent posted in a while as i don't get alot of time to work on this thing....

- Last couple weekends has seen me working on it 5-8 hours on a saturday or sunday.

- So far i have completely removed the interior of everything. I attacked all the sound deadening with dry ice n took out a total of 18kg from the vehicles weight. Which will be put back in with bracing and body seam stitch welding.

- The last 2 weeks has seen me remove the doors, bonnet, boot, top rad support panel and also widen the radiator opening to accomadate my standard LS400 radiator which i got for free!!! (i can also slot the motor into the bay very easily)

- The engine bay has had the battery tray removed and i also removed a few other brackets and stuff i don't or wont need. I will just fab up new mounts etc.

- The engine bay, inner cabin, under body and boot has now been stitch welded for strength.

- I have marked out the area in the boot where i will be cutting the spare wheel well out along with the fuel tank float sensor hole. I'm going to replace it with flat sheet metal so ive got a flat floor to mount a fuel cell, surge tank and pumps too. Also under body bracing will be alot easier to fab up. .......... (and maybe a rear mount turbo)

- Next weekends job will include rust repair along the rear boot sill above the left tail light and the left lower body apron join. I will also be welding the fuel cap filler door into the body for a smoothed look.

- Also ill measure up, mark out and cut the firewall and trans tunnel to fit my 1uz and auto.

post-13855-0-30698600-1368407886_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-05542500-1368407895_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-48256100-1368407904_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-12017400-1368407912_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-53322900-1368407922_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Soooooo i haven't posted on this forum in a very long time and that's mostly because i haven't done much at all on the Rolla.... The main reasons i haven't been working on it are just your normal excuses; money, time, shed space, parts, ideas etc. etc.

Hoping to breath a new life into the project in the coming months and spend some time and money on the project...

Recently acquired a new AC/DC tig welder and a few other tools and such..... Looking to expand my collection soon with a new mig and tool box....

Some of the jobs i have recently completed are as follows...

- Ive now finished Seam Welding the entire body from front to rear to make the body more ridgid.

- Ive chopped the spare wheel well out and welded up that rear frame section.

- Completely removed all rear suspension components and chopped the pan-hard body mount out and welded the body up.

- Fixed a rust section above the Left rear tail light. and right down the bottom of the rear panel where it meets the LHRG

- Welded the fuel cap shut.... (but it pulled and warped the panel.... rookie mistake... will be fixed by panel beater mate)

- Separated rear wheel flares from inner gaurds and bashed the seams flat to flare the guards out

- Welded and re-drilled the S-13 front subframe mount holes and fitted it to the car. also removed the std engine mounts.

- Chopped the exhaust shields off the 1uzfe motor to reveal horribly designed exhaust manifolds.... will build custom manifolds

- Serviced the auto

- chopped more of the firewall and front floor pan out to make room to mount the motor as far back and as low as possible

- Cut a fair amount of metal out of the doors... will hole saw them next for even more weight loss.

- Acquired an R31 Auto Diff and removed all the standard mounting points. Runs very similar ratio to the original Celsior diff

Next step will be to mount the motor on sum custom tubular mounts i have thought up that will bring the 1uzfe motor down as low as possible. once that is mounted i will work out a custom trans mount that will also double as a body stiffening brace from B pillar to B pillar..

Also on the weekend i purchased a genuine 2 owner 1984 Ke70 Toyota Corolla Cs sedan in White with 164,500k's on the Clock. 1.3 litre 4k motor with 1 k50 5 speed, Full Service, A/C and FM radio.... Very Very neat little car... barely a dint on it and a 20 cent piece sized bit of surface rust on the right hand rear lower quater.... Just needs a good clean and a few parts from storage and she'll be road worthy and registered as a daily....

:D

Will try and update this thread more often.....

post-13855-0-07865500-1395103282_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-96549200-1395103291_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-39009900-1395103307_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-54568800-1395103329_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-72651200-1395103342_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-40336400-1395103356_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-59122600-1395103369_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-31008800-1395103389_thumb.jpg

post-13855-0-77823300-1395103409_thumb.jpg

Edited by tavnam

I love how stock she looks!

Yeah well apparently the guy who i bought it off had been using it to drive from home to the golf club n back every day for 15 years.... he only lived around the corner and kept it in very neat original condition... ive already degreased and pressure washed it twice n the paint has come up overrated just needs a polish!!!!

the whole interior needs a steam clean n it will be like new!!!! ive owned 7 ke's now (1 been a 1 owner 72,000k car) n this is by far the neatest and most well looked after!!!! can't wait to get it right n cruise in it.... Just ordered a set of 15x8" +0 offset black steelies for it.......

Edited by tavnam

hahaha nah the 1uzfe is definately going to be a daily when its done... i just payed the rego on the 1uz rolla ... hopefully by then ill have a hilux 4x4 aswell.... i have about 4 sets of genuine ke70 wheels 2 sets of steelies with centres and trims and 2 sets of alloys.... all have centre caps....

I am doing this same conversion but into a ke30 and i can fit the stock brake booster and have less room to play with in mine.

What diff ratio is the r31 diff you have i know that the stock celsior is about 3.9/1.

I will be running a xr6 rear diff in mine that has a 3.6/1 lsd head in it.

I am doing this same conversion but into a ke30 and i can fit the stock brake booster and have less room to play with in mine.

What diff ratio is the r31 diff you have i know that the stock celsior is about 3.9/1.

I will be running a xr6 rear diff in mine that has a 3.6/1 lsd head in it.

Agh very nice i could amagine the Ke30 engine bay would be a tad restricting... i havent worked out what booster i will use as that is the least of my worries at the moment... ill probably run a booster out of a modern 4x4 t/d ute as they seem to be fairly small no days but i do have a bit more room to work with.... the skyline diff is 3.8:1 and its 1410mm long of the top of my head so only a fraction longer then the strandard diff..... eventually i will turbo my 1uzfe n run E85 aswell. but thats a fair way off.