Blue Thing: The Daily / Motorkhana Hack (Now Efi)

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

Cheers coln72, a guy by the name of Bob who seems to know how to throw an MX-5 around pretty well still sells them, can grab a few more next time I see him if you want some? A bit pricey though, $2 each... ;)

Mik, I went for a scroll back through the photos I took from the day & I'm a little embarrassed to admit I don't have any of your '20. :( Were you parked in the main carpark area?

Have a few goodies headed my way via the mailman/woman, will post photos when they arrive & the future of the mighty 2AC shall become clear. :yes:

Edited by carbonboy

I seem to be spending so much time working on it & actually driving it, seems justifiable. :P Do it! :y:

Those plans, well: take the 3-rib bigport 4AGE on the left, pull it apart, check internals, replace/machine as needed, then stuff it back together with the bits on the right. Then add those carbys & get the bugger to start/run in Blue Thing. A big thankyou goes to azza91 for helping me out with these bits over a period of time, the first TRD anything I've ever owned as well. :)

post-5437-0-60446000-1364367805_thumb.jpg post-5437-0-20989400-1364367778_thumb.jpg

Planning to not go silly on compression ratio or camshaft choice, I just want a solid, standard-ish engine that can handle some enthusiastic driving. Some may laugh, but a 4A engine makes enough power to keep me happy. More work to motor means more money spent as well, unless it's needed for reliability I'll pass, things can get silly quite easily!

They almost didn't, I pulled up at home just as the postman walked back to his van after knocking on the front door & finding noone home. He proceeded to open the back door of the van & slung the bag in, it hit the wall separating the cabin from the cargo area before it hit the floor. Mr Postman got verbally torn a new arsehole by me then & there, his details taken & a formal complaint made to AusPost this morning. :rant:

Also, this arrived today courtesy of LittleRedSpirit. Who did a great job of making sure that even if Auspost played soccer with it, it would arrive unharmed. :y:

post-5437-0-10290000-1364455572_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got myself a little work area set up inside the tool-shed, the contents of which are now out in the enclosed verandah extension I built out of scrap building materials. Started stripping the engine down, so far all of the measurements/tolerances for the camshafts & lifters are within specs, just need to check the lifter bores once I have the valves out.

post-5437-0-29933300-1366012461_thumb.jpg

Need to acquire myself a ridge-reamer before I can remove the pistons/conrods, have the block cleaned out & work out what size rings/bearings I'll need, hopefully standard size will suffice.

post-5437-0-09797400-1366012550_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-77721500-1366012503_thumb.jpg

In the meantime I'll pull the cylinder head apart so everything can get a good cleaning, there's a bit of carbon buildup everywhere.

post-5437-0-63387500-1366012614_thumb.jpg

I've never put an engine together before (following a manual at the moment), so if anyone has any hints or tips, they would be greatly appreciated. :yes:

I've never put an engine together before (following a manual at the moment), so if anyone has any hints or tips, they would be greatly appreciated. :yes:

When you think everything, your about put in it is clean enough to put in. It isn't and it will need to be cleaned again.(Trav now gets me to clean all his parts before I assemble his 4AGTE, because when he thinks its right I make him do it again😂)

Triple check ALL of your measurements!!!

Don't over oil the bores or put any oil on the rings. I've found it makes the rings take longer to bed in and can make the rings carbon up quicker.

I usually only use moly assembly lube on valvetrain parts(camshafts, cam bearings, lifters, rockers and valve tips). I use wd-40 on the bores and a little on the piston skirts. And engine oil on the main, conrod bearings and gudgeon pins.

Hope that helps bro!!

Cheers Stu, that helps a lot! Any recommendations on a cleaning substance? I want something a little stronger than degreaser to remove all that carbon build-up on the head, the block I'm thinking I'll have to get dipped to clean out all the oil/coolant galleries properly?

Scrapped the idea of purchasing a ridge reamer, turns out the 'wear' in the bores was just a build-up of carbon at the top, this was taken care of with a scourer & some WD-40. Thank goodness, as I'd been reading some horror stories of people using them & things going badly!

Not sure if I'm being pedantic, but I'm thinking of getting a set of digital vernier caliperss that measure 1/1,000ths of a MM, mine only go to 1/100ths.

Edited by carbonboy