Simon's 1972 Rt80 Corona

SimonM

Nothing since last update. I've been busy with uni and my triumph project.

Definitely nothing happening for the next 4-5 weeks with exams coming up.

Took the triumph for a drive to work today. Lays rubber in 4th with ease ;) Lots of fun. Still need a few more safety things before it can go on the track though.

Sadly, it looks like I'll be selling the 'rona very soon :( I still don't want to see it go, but between the difficulty of finding engine parts locally and the fact that I'll need the shed space for a new project very soon, I just can't keep it :( :(

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting my uncle's '48 chev panel delivery van in July, so I'm keen for my first hotrod build :D

But yeah, need shed space for it and the corona is lowest priority at the moment...

Don't suppose you want another corona and a road trip to SA to get it? :P

I've reached an impass! :P

I've finally found a new complete re-conditioned head for it, but I'm picking it up from Sydney in July while I'm there picking up the Panelvan.

I want to have it out of the shed before the panelvan get's home, but I want to fix her up before I sell her or put her in storage.

Maybe the van will have to spend a week or so outside under a tarp :P

• 2 weeks later...

So today I pulled all the valve springs off and replaced them with 18R springs. I knew before hand that they were shorter/softer, but tried it anyway.

Run's a bit smoother now and can actually make it into top gear, but it has less power than a ride-on lawnmower. Definitely need to wait for this new head/valve train next month.

Other than that, nothing to update...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

anybody keen to buy this? Still haven't fixed the engine but should be able to supply a complete spare head for it. Need shed space as I have just acquired a 1948 Chev Panel Delivery and am about to get a VW beetle too hopefully.

Will make a sale thread once I have the new head and time and effort etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update: Didn't buy the beetle :(

Still got the 'rona

Thinking about just pulling the head off and paying to have the whole thing refurbished with new valve springs.

Also, maybe a silly question, but do you guys reckon the little 2R could handle a blower? A mate has an AMR500 supercharger for sale.. How hard to fit and how likely to blow up the engine?

Would need an electric fuel pump to handle it...

Would the clutch withstand the extra HP?

iv'e thought about doing it to mine for a while now, but don't want to get hassled from the cops haha, to be honest though, if your gonna do it, get a 12r, they just go better and have better ports, but you need 12r manifolds as they are different, i think it would handle it, but you never know, don't think anyone's hotted up a 2-12r before haha