Simon's 1972 Rt80 Corona

SimonM

• 3 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally getting a new head! :D Have also ordered brake pads for the triumph.

But this is the last I'll be spending on projects for a while as I wrote off my commodore last night :( got T-barred by a nissan patrol. No serious injuries, just bruises and a headache.

Waiting for insurance etc. but not likely to have spare cash for a while!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the damage, but it was impressive. Lots of extra camber on the wheel, guard pretty much gone, bonnet folded in half, windscreen broken (from twisting of shell, no impact), both front airbags went off... Engine smashed up by the patrol's bull bar...

was more interested in my girlfriend who was in the passenger seat than taking photos though.

Just paid the $800 excess on the insurance... gonna be expensive by the end of it all!

still got a headache and sore neck :(

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY!!! :wootjump:

Got the new head, pulled the valve springs off of it and put them on, turn key.... won't start.

Set tappets/valve clearances, turn key... Starts first shot!

Starts, runs and drives.

So get ready for more updates because I have a couple weeks off of work now :D

plans:

>Clean engine/engine bay

>new brake cylinders

>new exhaust

>register

>????

>profit!

PICTURES TIME!!!!!

New valve springs came with a bonus head :P

I might get the new head hot tanked and put it on, but it's running beautifully as is, so no rush.

post-18111-0-09270900-1387326608_thumb.jpg

this nifty valve spring compressor is great! much quicker and easier than big clap-style ones.

post-18111-0-48904300-1387326664_thumb.jpg

post-18111-0-49818900-1387326719_thumb.jpg

drove it straight out of the shed and washed it. Runs better than it ever did, apparently setting the valve clearance helped...

post-18111-0-52619200-1387326838_thumb.jpgpost-18111-0-95851200-1387327006_thumb.jpg

Also took the grill off and cleaned and painted it. Looks like new! (if you don't look too close!)

and painted the metal strip across the front of the bonnet because it was all rusty. looks much better.

post-18111-0-69946900-1387327081_thumb.jpg

does every brown one have the spot of rust in the lf guard and the dent near the grille? lol

haha, yeah, I think they all rust there. The water gets in through the aerial hole. Mine was repaired by a previous owner, looks like they did a decent job.

My ute also has the same dent in the front of the guard as a result of poor reversing skills! :P

looking good mate, if its a car i don't care about too much i just stuff a rag in the chamber so the valve can't open then hit a socket on the top of the spring, collets normally just pop out, does't hurt anything, but if you have a valve spring compressor thats easier haha

Yeah I'll need that grille one day! I need to mod the back of it so I can flip up my mesh headlight covers, they are on at the moment but because of the shape of the grille I can't open them. So I'll grab that one and hack it up one day!

Good to see you got yours sorted. Looks good after a wash!