Custom Ke 55 Ground Up Restoration.

MIKE KE55

Decided to restore a Ke 55 from the ground up and customise it along the way.

I've been sitting on this project for a year now. I purchased a 79 in typical fashion, bogged like pork dressed as lamb. She came with a five speed and an engine dumped in the bay. Her black interior was completely removed and stored in the cab along with a spare manifold, radiator and all the bits and bobs you want.

While her dash is seamless the rear arches and the usual suspects in bottom corners of the rear glass are present along with the expected rust in the front quarters and a kilo of dirt under each of them.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a year of consideration later I dove head first this last week in to it and kicked several goals.

I fired up the engine after fitting it too the 5 speed. I couldn't connect the exhaust as the manifold was a single hole type whereas the exhaust fitted to the rust bucket was a dual pipe configuration.

At this point I should mention that I purchased a $30 4K engine early on on the piece and it has the corresponding exhaust manifold to suit the installed exhaust.

So I pulled the engine and removed the manifold assembly, acid dipped the appropriate exhaust manifold, dipped the inlet manifold and some guards I'm modifying for the front.

Once I have the faces of them machined I will remount them. In the mean time I will dip the cover and sump as well.

I've also started a bonnet chop. I'm decreasing the width of the bonnet bulge to 40 cm. This corresponds to a dual headlight modification I'm about to embark on. I will customise the grill to suit with custom aluminium replacing chrome.

Now for the bonnet chop. I figured on a side by side lamp configuration. That said I gauged the distance between headlights and set the curve down distance 21cm from center. This allows me to chop and align the grill chrome accordingly. Meaning when the bonnet curves down the chrome of the grill will meet it having been chopped to suit the original factory spec.

I have has to customise toe subfamily to match the wider low profile portion of the bonnet. As yet I haven't cut the filler panels to complete the job. I'm waiting for a sheet metal folder to arrive. I will also be tiging everything on this project and presenting the final roadworthied Rolla in bare metal with clearcoat.

post-14325-0-18593500-1364726481_thumb.jpg