Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Custom Ke 55 Ground Up Restoration.

Featured Replies

Decided to restore a Ke 55 from the ground up and customise it along the way.

 

I've been sitting on this project for a year now. I purchased a 79 in typical fashion, bogged like pork dressed as lamb. She came with a five speed and an engine dumped in the bay. Her black interior was completely removed and stored in the cab along with a spare manifold, radiator and all the bits and bobs you want.

 

While her dash is seamless the rear arches and the usual suspects in bottom corners of the rear glass are present along with the expected rust in the front quarters and a kilo of dirt under each of them.

  • Replies 134
  • Views 186.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

So a year of consideration later I dove head first this last week in to it and kicked several goals.

 

I fired up the engine after fitting it too the 5 speed. I couldn't connect the exhaust as the manifold was a single hole type whereas the exhaust fitted to the rust bucket was a dual pipe configuration.

 

At this point I should mention that I purchased a $30 4K engine early on on the piece and it has the corresponding exhaust manifold to suit the installed exhaust.

 

So I pulled the engine and removed the manifold assembly, acid dipped the appropriate exhaust manifold, dipped the inlet manifold and some guards I'm modifying for the front.

 

Once I have the faces of them machined I will remount them. In the mean time I will dip the cover and sump as well.

 

I've also started a bonnet chop. I'm decreasing the width of the bonnet bulge to 40 cm. This corresponds to a dual headlight modification I'm about to embark on. I will customise the grill to suit with custom aluminium replacing chrome.

I've also started a bonnet chop. I'm decreasing the width of the bonnet bulge to 40 cm. This corresponds to a dual headlight modification I'm about to embark on. I will customise the grill to suit with custom aluminium replacing chrome.

Sounds tricky.. will need photos!

  • Author

Here she is after I've stripped her back doors and front fenders excluded.

post-14325-0-95866300-1364725294_thumb.jpg

post-14325-0-63006700-1364725392_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Now for the bonnet chop. I figured on a side by side lamp configuration. That said I gauged the distance between headlights and set the curve down distance 21cm from center. This allows me to chop and align the grill chrome accordingly. Meaning when the bonnet curves down the chrome of the grill will meet it having been chopped to suit the original factory spec.

  • Author

I have has to customise toe subfamily to match the wider low profile portion of the bonnet. As yet I haven't cut the filler panels to complete the job. I'm waiting for a sheet metal folder to arrive. I will also be tiging everything on this project and presenting the final roadworthied Rolla in bare metal with clearcoat.

post-14325-0-18593500-1364726481_thumb.jpg

  • Author

And I've also beat out the cleft in the front of the front quarter panel. I'm going for a more rx3 style front with aggressive lines and front panels to suit. I've also acid dipped this to clean it up.

post-14325-0-39678100-1364727000_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Once my English wheel arrives I will smooth this out.

 

  • Author

Here's the inlet manifold boiling in hydrochloric acid before a washdown in caustic the water. Stops flash rusting.

post-14325-0-74391100-1364727857_thumb.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.