Custom Ke 55 Ground Up Restoration.

MIKE KE55

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished work and was home by one then spent the next four hours with my mate the grinder.

Now I've cleaned up all the bodywork in and around the door cavities. I've also finished around the windscreen and the panel in between it and the bonnet.

I've been through three wire wheels now and I'd say I've one or two to go. After I finish of some patches I've the engine bay to contend with.

My bottom radiator support is cactus. Not the one under the radiator, the one under it.

I've also got rust pitting that is messing with my Bare metal clear coat.

I'm thinking of brazing for body filler now. I don't mind scars, just as long as they look tough, hehe.

I've spent the last couple of days off the tools. I found a local sandblaster and got a $200 quote to have the engine bay done. It would be cheaper and easier than doing it myself and yield better results too. I will also get a quote for the underneath of the car so I can completely derust her.

I've also been looking in to a homemade rotisseri. I'm thinking something to do with a block and tackle. We'll see.

Tee'd up one of the trucks from work for next week to fill up with my recycling hoard so I will have some money for a welder and air comp.

I

I've also been looking in to a homemade rotisseri. I'm thinking something to do with a block and tackle. We'll see.

Even though home made rotisseries can sometimes be a hassle (compared to the ones you could buy), I would still reccommend doing it. It makes so many things so much easier that it is well worth the trade off in time spent making one.

Here are a couple of pics of my car when I was working on it. I probably could have done it without the rotisserie, but it would have taken even longer.

IMG_1782.jpg

blastedunderside.jpg

And having your sandblasting done by a professional is a smart move. I did mine myself and regretted it. I spent twice as long cleaning up as I spent blasting.

Mark

It's funny you mention the time spent cleaning up, I spent five hours in the garage today cleaning up!

Your car and rotisserie look great, much better than a mattress.

Being my goal is a streetlegal ratrod I think I will have to invest in a engineer. But if it was permissable then I'd be more than happy to braze her up. Under the clearcoat I think it would look like a boss.

For the rotisserie I'm thinking either engine stands or a block and tackle with some subaru hubs welded to a bumper insert.

I have to cut out the sill completely from rear front tyre to rear bumper. So even a block and tackle off a mount that bolts to the door hinges or door latch might do me.

I stayed away from paint stripper because I used to run a paint stripping business with large dipping tanks. The thought of doing it without a tank depresses me. But now I can have the enginebay blasted I'm curious to find out if and how he could blast the underneath too.