Hoon Laws

Silverrr87

Soo is anyone else concerned about the new laws and the ability given to police to determine what is legal?

From what I've read there is :

Type 1: which is dangerous driving ie; burnouts, drifting, racing, high end speeding etc which have a 2 strike policy. 2 strikes and your car is sold or crushed.

Type 1 doesn't concern me, operate your car within the laws and your all good.

Type 2 : from what I can tell is illegal modifications. 4 strikes and same outcome

I'm mid build on my corolla and I am having evrything engineered along the way. But the look I'm doing is not a sleeper and is along the lines of an aggressive 70's race. This includes wider than standard dished wheels, this is not something I can get mod plated from what I can gather. Evrything else is far better than a standard corolla as respects to safety and handling.

So my concern is once I have finished my car. spending a small fortune doing so; mods and getting in engineered and on road. Can I drive it? Will evrytime I pull onto a street have to look over my shoulder in case I'm pulled up as a cop thinks I'm a hoon? I'm doing this build because I love cars. I love corollas and I enjoy the build. But at the end also if the time comes to sell it, it won't just be another 5k coupe with jelly beans. I can retrieve a portion of the money spent ( I'm fully aware a recoup of money is never going to Happen)

but who wants to pay good cash for a car they can't drive, without the fear they will lose it to the government.?

I've spent alot of time and money to get where I am and I have a lot to go. But if in the end the only place I can drive it without fear is a track, I may aswell have bought ksev or a Silvia gutted it and made it a trailer pony.

Am I mistaken or unjustified in my concerns?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Members dont see this ad

Make the car quiet and look tidy and you wont have a problem.

There are rules on wheel width and wheel track modifications which are quite clear (one of the few things that are clear), if you intentionally put on bigger wheels that you know are illegal, then you run the risk of being tagetted.

Unfortuately the government is playing fun police, and doesnt seem to be able to distinguish between hoons and car enthusiasts. Public perception etc.

Also the fact that modificatiosn are better than standard doesnt seem to come into it either (from a legal point of view) so you can't use that in your defense.

I belive you can do whatever mods you like, and get it engineered/regod as an individually constructed vehicle (like kit cars), but the costs involved here is astronomical. (not worth it unless you are building a car from scratch).

Rule 1.

Any modified car shall not resemble a thrashed midnight drift car.

Clause A (as in Ahh Shit Pulled over again.)

No illest merchandise.

No flat Black Rattle jobs

No Fluffy toys

No Hangrings

No dildos in the cabin

No lowering beyond legal limits.

Rims under steel gaurds with normal fitting tyres.

No pretend tofu livery

No Loud Pipes that protrude too far from the body

No rust or dents

Use High end parts and do excellent maintenance

Clause B: (as in Be...)

Quiet

Safe

Obiedient

Respectful

Registered

Insured

If you want to play on the street we don't want to hear about it. The best way to keep your car is to have it presented well enough that they feel your love for it when you are stopped. Be ready to explain how you've complied with the laws. I find if you speak in more specific and detailed terms than an officer can match they will often understand how hard you've tried and leave you alone. If they pop the bonnet and see you have modification approval they will most likely leave you alone.

Like Dave said, keep it quiet and tidy and don't be an idiot on public roads and I cannot see an issue. If they already know you and hassle you, a change of car may be the fresh start you need, but behave well above all else. Its ever more costly to go to court and fight charges if the Police decide to throw the book at you.

I am aware of the rules regarding wheel and track width. Before undergoing this build I made sure that whatever i did the car would be legit or at least 99.9%.

I figured if it was pulled up and who ever was looking it over would see the amount of work involved to get it where it is, that it had been done right and it had the appropriate paperwork and mod plates, that they may 'overlook' the wider wheels.

The fact that I've not under taken a build that would attract that much attention before, I'm probably being a bit naive about it. They would probably still fine me.

I may need to rethink the direction of my rolla and backtrack a bit so that the look of the car isn't hinging on it having wide deep wheels.

But really what car enthusiast wouldn't be willing to risk a defect fine over something like wheel width to Achieve the look they like? chance of car impoundment is something else though.

I guess I'm just gutted that the image I had of my end result is no longer achievable. Google image : teruhisainoue datsun. That styling of that coupe is what I'm doing. Tell me that won't get harassed as a hoons car?

Are you refering to this?

http://cdn.speedhunt...an-Sunny-06.jpg

if so thats very cool, but will actract attention.

Raise it to (100mm at the absolute minimal point), fit smaller flares, fit tyres that sit flush the edge of the wheel, not stretch, and get rid of the writing on the tyres.

Make sure the width and track changes suit the car (that car is miles to wide), and make sure the exhaust is quiet. And you will have yourself a car that will blend in.

That what you want to do if you mod a car, jump out for people that know what it is, but blend in with everyone else to a cop.

do all the above, and you can have 500hp under the bonnet and noone will look twice.

My brother just bought himself an R33 skyline, very clean. standrd R34 GTT wheels, looked very nice. (has a few general mods, exhuast, intercooler etc) but overall it was an under the radar car.

Within the first week he painted the wheels matt black, and put a plush toy hanging off the rear tow hook. around $25 worth of "mods"

In my oppinion those 2 mods have taken the car from 'clean car that wont get a 2nd look', to a definite target for the boys in blue. One faulse move (ie driving through the city at 3am), and he will get the book thrown at him i reckon.

Edited by ke70dave

Yeah I still think the laws aren't that fair, I don't have a street registered car anymore, well might do now soonish ;) The main thing is they leave it up to the officer to decide what they class as excess noise or if you spun the wheels at the lights on purpose or not when it was raining.

I got told if you ever are planning on doing stupid driving on the street dress half decent, have the car looking respectable and then when you get pulled over for suspicion they won't think so much it was you? haha

Rule 1.

Any modified car shall not resemble a thrashed midnight drift car.

Clause A (as in Ahh Shit Pulled over again.)

No illest merchandise.

No flat Black Rattle jobs

No Fluffy toys

No Hangrings

No dildos in the cabin

No lowering beyond legal limits.

Rims under steel gaurds with normal fitting tyres.

No pretend tofu livery

No Loud Pipes that protrude too far from the body

No rust or dents

Use High end parts and do excellent maintenance

Clause B: (as in Be...)

Quiet

Safe

Obiedient

Respectful

Registered

Insured

If you want to play on the street we don't want to hear about it. The best way to keep your car is to have it presented well enough that they feel your love for it when you are stopped. Be ready to explain how you've complied with the laws. I find if you speak in more specific and detailed terms than an officer can match they will often understand how hard you've tried and leave you alone. If they pop the bonnet and see you have modification approval they will most likely leave you alone.

Like Dave said, keep it quiet and tidy and don't be an idiot on public roads and I cannot see an issue. If they already know you and hassle you, a change of car may be the fresh start you need, but behave well above all else. Its ever more costly to go to court and fight charges if the Police decide to throw the book at you.

Red spirit: sorry only read you comment after I posted the last.

I have no intention of 'playing in the street'

I'm doing this build for the experience and joy/pain of the build itself. Something I can cross off my list at the end. I'm not even interested in tracking it. But I do want to be able to get up on a weekend, go get it from the shed and take a cruise.. Go for drive somewhere, surely you enjoy that feeling? I own other cars. But the satisfaction from taking a shape I love changing it to how I want it and then getting to enjoy is something different. I'm not going to spend 40+ on its and then thrash around the street like an idiot. I'm all for the laws removing that behaviour from the street as I said before.

I just wanted to build something different and My fear is - over fenders/wide wheels = automatic generalisation that that I'm a hoon.

And I have lost my licence before. In my work car, I spend alot of time driving - to the tune of 2000 ks a week. I've learnt the hard way not speed.

I've never been fined or had attention for hoon behaviour because I don't participate in it.

I'm just going to have to change my direction. Follow your advice and keep it inconspicuous

That's the one Dave. I'm in love with it, I have so many photos. I like his styling and I haven't found a ke55 c or ke35 like it.

I'm not talking about slapping some fenders and wheels on my car and off I go either. I'm doing/done a back to bare metal replace all old for new build to my car..

And side note back to the rules. A burnout is now defined as wilfully breaking traction. So if u put your foot down in the rain and the wheels break traction and a cop happens to see that. - type 1 strike 1.

I'd hope that would bee seen as unwillfully. I think it would be fairly easy to show you spun the wheels by mistake. Hillstart in my drover in the pouring rain (with new tyres) results in uncontrollable wheel spin if your not careful, if i got done for that, id fight it for sure.

On a side note,

How many people die of people going through red lights? compared to hooning? i reckon every 2nd time i am at lights someone goes through a red light.

If they changed it so that if you got caught going through a red light, 6 points $2000, and the car crushed the second time you did it. Think about how many cars would be crushed? and how accidents wouldn't happen cuase people stopped?

And how many voters you would piss off? can't do that now can we.

• Upvote 1

Personally I think the majority of people who are up in arms about it are generally the people who are ruining the scene anyway.

So your not worried they'll see your modded k sev with fenders mirrors and boot lip and drop you in the same basket as all the kids out there drifting ke70's? You've lost your licence before, so if that's a judgement that is been made as to whether or not you are a hoon or 'ruining the scene' as you put it, doesn't that concern u?

• Upvote 1

Break traction in a excel or say my work hiace you could probably argue it to be un wilful, if they noticed. Do it in a modified car, be it a corolla, commonwhore or skyline and I think it'd be a tough point to argue as they are already looking at it as a hoon's car...

I live on the beach. No chance of moving. Bad enough I have to enter the shit hole that is Brisbane and western Queensland on the regular.

Sorry if you are annoyed by me raising and asking questions. I thought it may be an issue that affects evrybody and was interested in opinions.