3K Flywheel On 5K

abbott

hello everyone, I am in the process of purchasing 5k for my ke25 and i have an issue that the engine doesn't come with a flywheel.

The question is will the flywheel from my 3k bolt up and just run a 3k clutch or do i need the bigger 5k flywheel? are the bolt patterns the same?

I know i could pull it apart and check myself but I want to get a clutch and all that before i pull my car apart because it gets me to work.

Cheers Tom

Members dont see this ad

I confirm Stuart's advice that 5K flywheel & clutch won't fit inside the K40/50 bell housing. It's a tight fit in there. It's normal to fit the 3K or 4K flywheel to the 5K in these circumstances. Even with the 3K or 4K flywheel, you have to be careful. Not all after market pressure plates are the same depth. I once did a 5K conversion, fitted the 4K flywheel and after running the engine, heard this ticking noise. Traced it to the bell housing. Removed gearbox again, and found the outer top edge of the pressure plate was just touching the bell housing. Removed the pressure plate and lined it up on a flat surface with two others I had, and found it was slightly higher. I think the after market originated from India. I put one of the other lower depth pressure plate on, ground the bell housing slightly for good measure, & the problem disappeared forever.

Cheers

Banjo

Edited by Banjo

My pleasure ! You'll luv your KE25 with the 5K in it. It is by far the cheapest & simplest way to breath new life back into an older early model Corollas that are a daily drive. 5Ks are getting harder to find, but I believe Toyota still used the 5K in their petrol industrial forklifts up to the early 2000s, and you can still get exchange reconditioned 5Ks from the engine reconditioning exchange companies like Repco & GEM etc.

When I first went looking for 5Ks years ago, I' thought I never find one. Now I've got two.

They go best when mated with a 5 speed gearbox from the KE70.

I've got a 4 speed behind one of mine, & a 5 speed behind the other, & there's no comparison when cruising.

There are two mods you should always do when when transplanting a 5K.

1. Upgrade the front brakes.

2. Replace the single timing chain with a duplex (2 row) one from a 3K enginge. The camshaft & crankshaft sprockets swap straight over. Always replace the timing chain tensioner at the same time. You can usually find new ones on ebay.

Also make sure that your 5K acquisition has an electronic distributor with internal ignitor module, & that no one has swapped it over for a points one during its previous life.

Cheers

Banjo