Lightened Flywheel For 3Tc

bruce

Going to replace my clutch, so while I'm at it I was thinking of taking the flywheel off and resurface and balance it. Then I might as well get it lightened, but by how much?

From here http://www.1stgencel...php?f=11&t=9444 stock 2T flywheel weights are:

2T-B 12.5 Kg

2TG 9.0 Kg

There's the Aluminum flywheels from Fidanza and Spec in the USA:

Fidanza 4.3 Kg (9.5 lb)

Spec 4.3 Kg (9.5 lb), another source said 14.0 lb

Then the high end flywheels by Kameari and Toda:

Kameari 4.4 Kg (Street)

3.7 Kg (Race)

Toda 3.5 Kg

It's for a road car, so probably don't need to go as light as a Fidanza. Though the 3TC has plenty of torque and I can cruise around in 5th gear at 60 Km/hr easily. Maybe machine a stock flywheel to a weight in the middle somewhere, which doesn't compromise the structure.

Has anybody had an aluminum flywheel in their 3TC/2TG, or a lighten stock one? Worthwhile investment?

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

I ended up getting the original flywheel lightened. Went to Tasmania Engine Reconditioning and they were pretty helpful. They've dealt with 2tg/3tc engines a bit and knew how much to lighten the flywheel.

On the bathroom scales the stock 3TC flywheel weighed around 11 Kg. It had 11 stamp on it. They said they can get it down to 14 lbs (~6Kg) for $230 or a bit over 12 lbs for $80 more. Here are the before and after photos:

post-926-0-95536900-1379649839_thumb.jpg

post-926-0-66581100-1379649884_thumb.jpg

post-926-0-22840500-1379649936_thumb.jpg

post-926-0-53996700-1379649981_thumb.jpg

I went with the 14 lbs and it came just under 6 Kg. They also balanced the clutch pressure plate. It was an RPM Clutch Industries one, and it was so out of balance they had to weld a piece of metal to it.

Crikey! id never considered that a clutch coudl be out of balance. i would have thought that would be the most important thing for a clutch manufacturer....

Tried the engine with that new clutch/flywheel setup yet?

Yeah I would of thought balancing would be one of their quality control measures during the manufacturing. They must have low tolerances for cheaper manufacturing costs. The kit was pretty cheap, bought it for $124 online. It's a Clutch Industries Heavy Duty RPM clutch. Not sure how well balanced the more expensive Exedy HD clutch would be. That was around $400

Here's a photo of the metal weight welded on:

post-926-0-88567300-1380252698_thumb.jpg

Haven't tried the setup yet. Still getting around to putting it back together.