Found: A Place That Restores Cracked Dashboards And Arm Rests

JiP

Hey guys, I was searching for stuff on my car one night when i came across this site that restores cracked dashboards and cracked arm rests. As I've looked everywhere for a good dash and havn't found one I was quite excited.

I looked at what else they do on the site and found they also do custom consoles, wood grain dashes, wood grain knobs and steering wheels.

If anyone wants a look its:

.DASHBOARD RESTORATIONS

I'm getting my dashboard done right now so i'll let you know how it turnd out if anyones interested.

Jon.

Members dont see this ad

not my info but a quote from toymods by Cool1

Guys, if you can supply your dash(TA22) they can restore it for $330+GST.

How they do the job:

First they remove the vinyl, then they put the dash on a TA22 dash frame, the dash gets sprayed with a stablizing material, then any cracks/missing material is filled with the same kind of foam. Once this is done the dash is put in a vacume to have the vinyl moulded on.

Not exactly cheap, but much better quality than the places that just bog up the cracks and vinyl over the top.

If you go onto the website they state that they don't do a cheap patch job because after the putty dries up it continues to crack all over again. Click Here For The Process They end up stripping away all the vinal and the foam, repair whatever structual defects it may have and then start creating it from scratch.

Now, I too was quoted $330, that is including the GST for my KE30. The price might not vary much, but i wouldn't be sure.

I came across an American company that Re-Creates almost all dashes from scratch and only costed $54.00 US. I was excited, cause even after i were to pay for postage it would come to around $100 AU. I sent them an e-mail asking if they'd do an Australian conversion?? Obviously they don't know how better off they'd be, cause i'd let everyone know to drum up bussiness for them. Cause they didn't reply to my e-mail. Their loss!!

Edited by JiP_01

Just a bit of warning guys. I got my ke30 dash restred at DASHBOARD RESTORATIONS and quite honestly the job was shithouse. The finish was poor, you could actually tell through the vinyl where their putty joined to the original dash. There was also dirt glued down under the vinyl. Not to mention that the recolouring paint is so thin u can see through it, and after i had the dash for a month the paint started to separate and crack!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i'm getting sick of writing this. My computer has crashed like 6 times. 4 when restarting and i have lost this a further 2 times cause my page automaticly starts loading f@$kING AVRIL LAVEIN!!!!!!!

After you read all this and see all the pictures i've added, think how frustrated you'd be if you were about to press "ADD REPLY" and before you could do that, 20 mins of work turns into AVRIL??

Here goes, number 4...

I've finally gotten my dash back from Dashboard Restorations. I spend all day yesterday installing it.

I took many pictures. Alot before, a durring and an after.

This first picture is of my first dashboard before i even begun removal.

post-1158-1143628520_thumb.jpg

These pictures are of the dashboard on the day before removal.

post-1158-1143628542_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628559_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628588_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628603_thumb.jpg

These pictures are of the cracked dashboard after they were removed.

post-1158-1143628621_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628641_thumb.jpg

These pictures are of the restored dashboard before installation.

post-1158-1143628663_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628679_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the dashboard durring installation.

post-1158-1143628698_thumb.jpg

And lastly, these pictures where taken today after the installation was complete. It was complete late last night but was too dark for photos.

post-1158-1143628744_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628773_thumb.jpg

post-1158-1143628808_thumb.jpg

Now the dash cost me $330.00 from Dashboard Restorations.

The company resoring these dashboards as been around for the past 17 years.

The guy also told me that it has a five (5) year warrenty. So if anything happens, it should be repaired for free. But i doubt anything will happen cause i'm sure that after 17 years they'd know how to do it properly.

I found a fairly good dash once at the wreckers. I was trying to remove it when i accidentally snapped it.

NOTE: If anyone is planning on removing their dash, make sure you've removed all the screws. There are some hidden screws behind the dash which are really hard to reach. After all the screws and nuts are removed it should slide out easily. If it doesn't, you've missed some.

Ok guys, good luck.

Jon.

P.S. Does anyone know how to close the Glove Box so it sits flat with the rest of the dash. It currently sits open abit.

Edited by JiP_01

i bet the wrecker one wouldnt have cost 330 :P

but that dash does look rather good :)

I've visited every wrecker south of brisbane, west towards Ipswich and even visited one beyond Ipswich. I've gone towards the Gold Coast too. Thats ateast 15 wreckers. Out of all the ones with corollas, mind you some had many, none had dashboards in good condition. Even that one i found had little chunks taken out of it on one area which i only saw after removal.

This was the best chance I had.

Jon.

Edited by JiP_01

yeah mine was re done as well about two years ago although its never seem the sun yet it looks as good as the day it left the factory. They re-wrapped it with the hard stocko style plastic vinyl stuff looks awsome i had a auto trimmer send it off for me cost $220.