Our 7k

SLOTH Snr

A couple of weeks ago I was down visiting the old girl and SlothSnr and I got it started again. The car had been sitting neglected for just over a year (had been busy with my old 86). We changed the oil, sprayed in some Start Ya Bastard, jumped the battery and she started! The engine was making a terrible noise (which I had heard once before, just before a rod slipped out from under a rocker) but I planned to take a look at that after I got it shipped up to Canberra.

A couple of days before it was to be shipped I got someone in Melbourne to start it, with no success. After replacing the battery though it started without any problems.

The car carrying company then picked it up and dropped it on a truck.

A couple of nights later I met the truckie on the side of the road at midnight to pick up the car.

When he tried to start it though it just wouldn't start. I applied some manual choke to the twin carbies and after a couple more tries it started... but sounded like it was about to explode. After idling for a little it was doing a bit better, but still sounding as rough as guts. We took it off the truck and I braved the <1km drive back to the house. Putting my foot down the car barely moved. The thing sounded like a helicopter! The brakes also barely worked (but without the ability to get much speed that wasn't an issue).

The next night I opened up the rocker cover to discover that once again the rod had slipped out... the same one as before!

I believe this is because the valve/spring is getting stuck and not opening all the way, meaning there isn't enough pressure on the rocker to hold in the rod.

post-539-0-19333500-1315989874_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-44147000-1315989902_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-48679100-1315989928_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-12931300-1315989950_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the 3k sump it's definately been modified ..

just wanting to know how they done it after being showed the difference from a good friend the other night the bolt holes line up on one side but just too narrow on other side .

Had the sump u got been cut along one side and a wider section welded on ?? To make sump holes wider ..

Also read in first post that guy built engine would rev to 7000 I thought these engines hated reving so high ?

Or have u done extra work to compensate the way u wanna drive it ?