Turbo Corolla Power Problems

terrytsa

Members dont see this ad

ok here is some more info. after having a flat battery it feels like the ecu has lost its programming the car seems to cut out sooner on the red line than it did before ... it has the TOMS ecu in it could my car be in some type of limp mode it still reaches high speeds but not like before.. The turbo seems to boost ok and I felt inside the turbine foe damage it all looks ok.

looking at other forums http://au.toyotaowne...gular-unleaded/

others have had the same issue as me ( car hits redline at 40kmh ) they claim its a problem with the petrol ...

well is any one out there going to give a little feedback with any ideas I don't think bad fuel could cause the car to redline quicker ..

it feels like something is blocked ( filter is clean ) but I am still able to reach good top end speeds on the motor way and maintain boost.

the problem is 1st and 2nd gear they redline much quicker than they did before

Edited by terrytsa

So are you actually reaching redline? Don't confuse redline with rev-limit and fuel-cut - redline is a specific rpm marked on the gauge (which would be ~6300rpm on a standard 7AFE cluster), and if you're hitting that at lower speeds than normal then you have a slipping clutch (wheel-spin would show the right speed but wouldn't "feel" fast enough).

If the engine is struggling to reach the marked redline rpm (and you feel it is hitting a wall at 40km/h, which would be ~4500rpm in 1st for a C52) then you have a fuel, air or ignition issue. You mentioned in another post that you're destroying spark plugs regularly, so there is definitely a problem there - are you using the right spark plugs for the turbo motor as they will be different to the NA ones, and a decent chance that most parts books won't list the 7AFTE. I'd be ringing Toyota and getting the proper spark plug specification from them (remember only 110 of these things were made WORLDWIDE, all in Australia, so the internet is going to be extremely empty of reliable information).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist
  • Upvote 1

Ian the car cuts out at 6.5 revs in first at 50 kmh now after removing the battery cable as was suggested to try. I have used 2 cans of injector cleaner in two tank fills could that have done anything

Diagnostics have been checked and no faults detected.

If file is to vague and pointless to answer then just say you don't know. Ian has given excellent advice, this site is suppose to help people with little knowledge too you know.

Ian how can I check my clutch ?

and yes I was reaching red line and cutting out at 40kmh now 50kmh.

the spark plug issue could be due to running too much boost (15 to 17 psi ) lowered now to (13 to 14) hard to get accurate reading on an dial gauge.

plugs I am using are NGK BKR5EYA in the car now.. and iridium NGK BKR6EIX before.. Should I try replacing the disi cap and leads ?

Edited by terrytsa

You're basically running double the factory boost, are you sure the stock ECU can adjust that much? Could just be that the ECU can't handle the boost and is leaning out up top (also are the injectors bigger to suit?), which could be causing the damage to your spark plugs (also causing pinging, which in turn retards the arse out of the timing, which in turn makes it feel like you're hitting rev-cut/brick wall)

Also, BKR5EYA/6EIX are the standard 7AFE spark plugs, which I highly doubt are the right plugs to be running for a turbo setup, especially with that much boost. Double check with Toyota (and someone knowledgeable at Toyota, since this is a very rare engine) as to what the turbo Sportivos run, and also consider looking at what people with 4AGZE/GTEs running similar boost levels are using for plugs - there's a good chance they're running another heat range cooler, plus gapping the plugs differently to stock.

• Upvote 1

The car is booked into Toyota tomorrow I will post what they say.. the ECU is a toms I pulled it out and checked. the injectors I have been told are the larger ones as were used in the gold turbo 's

I have not touched the timing and yes there is some ping when boost kicks in then it eases off.

Ok Toyota have diagnosed it as a clutch slipping, and Ian yes I am using the wrong spark plugs the ones needed are PK20R8 DENSO PLUGS about $18 each from Toyota.

The Pinging is prob from the wrong plugs I will put the right ones in an get the timing checked.

I was surprised that Toyota Knew and confirmed that is was the first turbo corolla prototype built I Australia in 1999 so they tested it for 2 years before the gold ones started selling.