Ke70 Cluster Upgrade - Quick Tutorial

Hey guys, i own a 4k ke70 CS (got the clock where the tacho should be) and went down to u-pull-it on the weekend (clutch went on the weekend, and i had to get a piece that holds the cable to the spring mechanism on the gearbox - i know - very detailed explanation). Anyway, stumbled across an AE71 instrument cluster ---> YOINK and $38.50 later its on its way back to my place! :)

Just to confirm - is this a PLUG and PLAY (ie is the tacho cable already in the existing wire harness meaning you can plug them in and bob's your uncle?), or do i have to join a cable for the tacho?

Question - how do i wind the km's back on it? (genuine question - not looking to do a dodgy on the car before i sell it or anything :lolcry: ). Cause this new one is showing 360,000 odd, and my lil cars only clocked up 230,000km. I guess it is something to do with where the speedo cable plugs in, but i can't find anything in the shed to fit in there..... Tried allan key set, but no luck!

Any recommendations chaps? Thanks! :P

Edited by turbo_rolla

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be able to unsrew the existing odometer and put yours in to keep the original km on your speedo

there is no simple way to wind them back - they are designed to wind forward only - hence the digits not clicking over as you reverse and popping the wheels to spin them usually causes minor damage that will make the digits stop or jam

The simple answer is yes you can swap them directly over, All the wiring they need is there. Secondly its easiest just to swap your original Speedo over, I think its just 2 bolts from memory. I think I have pics here from when I pulled mine apart somewhere, Will have a look when I get home later..

But yeah, You should be able to swap the digital clock and tacho in to your cluster and it should all work fine too..

^^ Ahaha, when i see ya next, ill prove that wrong if you like :P !

but I'm not about to go explaning that on the net.. But yes, Ruts has explained it well.

Remember, its a plug and play unit, and make sure you check all the bulbs before you put it back in !

you should be able to unsrew the existing odometer and put yours in to keep the original km on your speedo

Didnt think about that, so thanks Ruts! Will no doubt be easier than trying to wind it back in there! I'm tryin to get it done this weekend if i got some spare time, so i might post a few pics of it to show noobs like me what to do :P Thanks alot for your help guys! Should be interesting to see what sort of punishment i've been dishing out to the 4k :lolcry: Got a manifold gasket issue as well, so its gonna be a busy weekend! Thanks again! :)

Hey guys...completed the upgrade from clock to tacho....results are as follows:

From bland:

dscn45874kw.jpg

Comparison of the two:

dscn45984mp.jpg

to grand! :)

dscn46044nj.jpg

If anyone wants me to put a "tutorial" up for the swap (AE71 dash ---> Ke70) let me know as i have pics of the process. Figured its a pretty simple thing to do so people may not be interested though! If you are, let me know and i'll wack it together!

Oh, just one tip......check everything INCLUDING the speedo cable before ya screw the "covering" back into place. Not that i forgot or anything :P

Thanks for your assistance chaps!

Alrighty! Here goes nothing chaps! Like i said, its pretty easy, and you don't have to be too technically minded to get it done!

How to put a tacho from a Ke70 XX / Ke70 CSX / Ae71 CSX / Ae71 Spirit into your Ke70 S / SE / CS or Ae71 CS.

IT IS A DIRECT SWAP, with no modification required to the cluster/surrounds.

1. - obtain a new cluster as desired (Ke70 XX / Ke70 CSX / Ae71 CSX / Ae71 Spirit - These all have the tacho cluster). Got mine from u-pull-it in SA for $38.50. Wreckers will charge anything up to $60 for one of these.. if they know what it is !

2. Remove the things stopping your surround from coming out! To do this you'll need a Phillips head screw driver (one long handle, 1 short). Start by removing the screws from the "surround" of the cluster (i think there were 12 in total - 7 along the underside, 5 along the top). Also remove the knobs from the stereo, along with the flat nuts behind the stereo knobs. The cover should slip off now.

(see picture below – no need to take the air con vents out, but I did).

dscn4590a9xp.jpg

3) Remove the surround from your car. Make sure the indicator & headlight selector sticks are all in the down position, and the hazard light switch is sitting in the middle position (doesn't stay there, but it makes it easier). As most Ke70/Ae71's are 20+ years old now, an easy way of poppin this biarces out, is to get a friend to sit in the passenger seat, and get them to push up (with their knee) on the middle lower section of the dash (see Teds picture)

pushup.JPG

This causes the dash to be pushed up, and makes pulling the assembly out alot easier. You basically have to twist the bottom section of the black gauge faceure towards you, making sure the right hand side of the assembly doesn't scratch / chip the top of the steering wheel column plastic (who am i kidding, its going to, if its not done already :P ) - rotate it up, and the assembly will come out bottom up first, if that makes sense. After the 9th + time of doing it, you get pretty good at it :lolcry: Remember, it does take a bit of force to do, but don't snap the surround !

dscn45911me.jpg

4. Detach the cluster from the dash backing - simply unscrew the 4 screws - one in each corner of the cluster.

5. GENTLY pull the cluster out to wards you (bring the LHS towards you). There are 3 harness plugs, about the length of a double A battery. Reach your hand behind and undo the first harness. Then undo the second harness, along with the 3rd.

dscn45933ke.jpg

Next is the speedo cable. Can be tricky, and this is the thing stopping you from pulling it out any further! Aint really a job for big hands, so a little brother or sister is perfect if ya don't wanna scratch up your hands! :) Get ya fingers around the speedo cable (there's a white clips that keeps it in place), and wriggle and pull it a bit until it comes free. This should loosen up the cluster, and you then unclip the final harness!

Or, if you don't have / previously killed younger siblings, you can reach up from underneath the dash, & easily get your hand up from underneath, and feel for the cable. Make sure you gently undo the clip by squeezing both ends of the circular clip, which will release it from the back of the cluster. It should pop off now. Memo to self, that speedo cable can be moved backwards and fowards about 50 mm, to suit the length of your fat hand.

dscn45945gy.jpg

You should now be left with 3 harnesses plugs on 1 loom section & one speedo cable

6. IF YOU WANT TO SWAP ODOMETERS:

There are 4 clips on the cluster itself (2 on top, 2 on bottom). Use a flathead screwdriver or chisel (flat based tool) to push in the tabs to release the clear cover from the cluster.

dscn4596a6gd.jpg

The cover should now pop off, leaving you with this:

dscn45975kv.jpg

7. Gently take off the needle (I used a chisel to gently raise it up from underneath), unscrew the two screws (on the front) either side of the needle, and flip it over!

Unscrew the 2 screws on the back (either side of where the speedo cable connected to the cluster), and the odometer should pop out:

dscn46007ib.jpg

If you're planning to customize your cluster at any stage now is as good a time as any to do something! (I painted my needles red but decided to go against it).

Reverse the process to put yours back in!

8. Take it back out to your car, and plug in the harnesses. Start with the far right one, then then the next, then the speedo cable, and finally the one closest to you. This will be cramped, and you may be able to pull the speedo cable through SLIGHTLY, but make sure they go in properly, and that the speedo cable isn't loose at all.

9. The moment of truth – wack the keys in, and turn on the ignition…..you should get your “normal†warning lights like so:

dscn46038jw.jpg

10. turn it over, and the tacho should spring to life. Turn your lights on to make sure the bulbs in the new cluster are all fine….if not, swap them with a bulb from your old cluster. Finally, go for a drive and make sure the speedo is moving! Enjoy the sight of the tacho going to 4, 5, 6, 7000 rpm!!!! (and 8,000 rpm, if your cool enough :lolcry: )

If all this is working, you're just about finished! Just screw the surround back on, and bob's your uncle! Should look something like this :lolcry: :

dscn46042ji.jpg

Only problem I had was that the digital clock doesn't work, and I'm not sure why. Other than that, no problems.

Hope this is helpful to atleast one person out there! Pretty straight forward (hardest part is the speedo cable IMO).

Feel free to ask any questions/post feedback, advise of any mistakes!

Thanks Guys!

From Teddy: Dude, Great write up ! Ive added a few things, as ive done this too many times :lolcry: -> have a read of the few tips n hints ive added.. it gets easier each time you do it !

Edited by Teddy

^^ Ahaha, when i see ya next, ill prove that wrong if you like :P !

but I'm not about to go explaning that on the net.. But yes, Ruts has explained it well.

Remember, its a plug and play unit, and make sure you check all the bulbs before you put it back in !

I call your bluff and raise you a worked Twincam Motor!

I swapped just the tacho and digital clock into my original cluster when I was having problems.. That is the way it stayed, After my electrical issues were solved..

I grabbed a complete tachometer cluster from u-pull-it at Womma rd. for $38.50 too.

Didn't worry about the mileage, just did a straight swap, plugged it in, and everything worked.

Found a 5K electronic distributor there too for $24.50 . :-D

That dropped straight in and just worked as well.

A.

Yeah, first time i'd been there woteva! Went looking for a part of the clutch cable, and came home with the cluster.....also found a 5spd down there, but that'll have to wait for another day! Cluster was a good buy for $38.50 i reckon, and i got a few other small bits i was after for free so i was happy! :P

I got a five speed there as well,a clutch cable that was as new for $10,a good set of spark plug tubes and an excellent nick boot rubber for free.

A new clutch cable is usually about $90.00.

I haven't been to the Lonsdale U-pull-it yet but I am planning to go have a look soon.

A.

Thanks Tiger! Much appreciated! Hopefully it helps one or two people, but its not too hard a job so most people would be able to bluff their way through it! :) I wanna go down to the lonsdale site soon as well woteva cause i think from memory, the stock list shows a few more ke70's/AE71's down there! Might see if i can find a carb upgrade down there :P

Dude, Great write up ! Ive added a few things, as ive done this too many times :P -> have a read of the few tips n hints ive added.. it gets easier each time you do it !

I think I'm going to make this topic a sticky, and FAQ it ?

ill be back :)