Electrical Gremlin

Hey guys, got a prob with my KE70 (4kc, CS).

The problem is to do with my LHS indicator.

When i have the lights on and wack the indicator on for a LH turn, the headlights go out, as too the dash and centre console panel. If you tap them a bit, or push them forward slightly (towards high beam, but not quite) they go back on (but don't stay on - they're only back on when you tap it, or are holding it forward). Checked the fuses, made sure my earth for my stereo & battery was good, but no change. :lolcry: If i have the high beams on this DOES NOT happen.... :P

It will also (when the lights arent on) reset my radio when i indicate, but this only happens every now and then.

I'm thinking MAYBE something to do with the electrics in the indicator stalk itself, but not sure.

Has anyone else had this problem? If not, anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks guys! :)

Edited by turbo_rolla

Members dont see this ad

There's an earthing problem around the indicators, I'm thinking. Maybe an idea just to trace back the wires running off the indicators and see if there's a short somewhere via a test light/probe. Safest way I know.

Double check OTHER areas, like your Flasher Unit, Turn Signal Switch could be faulty, Instrumant Lamp Rheostat may need a little check over to see if it's faulty also... I can't think of anything else... but checking all them should give you a couple of busy hours in the afternoon :P

Hope this helps

Well, I've given you info based off the KE55 sedans... but the general theory should work for the KE70s too, not much difference in electrics (to my knowledge anyway)

That's no drama at all, dude :P Glad to be of some help

Your combination switch, is your indicator stalk, headlight switch, and I think windscreen wipers too.

It is attached around your steering column, and I think you may have to remove the steering wheel to dissemble it.

If you do pull it to bits, careful of losing springs, tiny ball bearings, and loose contacts, also take note where and how contacts fit when dismantling.

If you clean it up, it has some sort of lubricant on the contacts,which should also be replaced.

Good luck.

A.

could be the combo switch is has dirty contacts

Thats what i would of said, My ae82 does the same thing (accept only my headlights go out) and i couldnt be bothered to do anything about it cause i got around it by just puttin the indicator on slightly and not letting it click in, it does the job i will fix it when i get a new switch

had a similar thing happen recently to our ke16. the blinkers were playing up and the high beams refused to work. ended up that there was a heap of brass/copper dust through the combo switch from the horn button contacts.

compressed air and a bit of a cleanup fixed it.

Thanks guys! Checked it out today and its definately in the combo switch somewhere....there is a lil wire just near the indicator that i think is the cause (don't have a pic yet though). Will have a play around with it sometime shortly and see if it fixes it up!

got around it by just puttin the indicator on slightly and not letting it click in

I do the same trev :P You're right though, it works for the time being! Might have to do a group buy of combo switches :) I'll try the compressed air too felix, just incase it isnt that wire I'm talking about!

Thanks again :lolcry:

• 2 weeks later...

Whats with Corollas and strange electrical gremlins??

GIR has problems too. Not as serious as Turbo Rolla's, but still worth a mention, coz they are pretty strange...

Driving at night with the headlights on, and the switch flipped to make the driving lights come on with high-beam... all is good. It behaves as it should.

As soon as you switch the engine off... The driving lights come on!! So you have to switch them off when exiting the car.

I can also switch the car off at the ignition, and have the keys out of the barrel, and my driver's door open before the engine stops. ITS NOT pre-ignition, and it has always done it. Its just like a 2 or 3 second turbo timer.

Really Strange...

st.nick, you don't have a thermo fan with power taken from the coil?

my ke16 was wired like this when i got it. you could turn the car off and remove the keys before it stopped. the thermo fan acted as a generator, while it was spinning after the ignition was turned off.