Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5 Speed Confusing Speedo.

Featured Replies

Gday, I have a 1975 2 door ke30, it has a 3k-h and had a k40 which I only just swapped over for a k50, now this gearbox has made my speedo out. Any suggestions on the best way to solve this problem as its turning over quicker and will be racking up more k's then what I am really doing.

 

Any help is appreciated cheers.

You need to match the speedo gearing. There is an inner helical gear and an outer plastic gear. The inner is moderately complicated to change, the outer plastic gear (on the end of the rod the speedo cable slots into) simply pulls out of the speedo drive hole. Not sure if the k40 and k50 outer gears are identical size wise, but be aware they can be obtained with assorted teeth numbers to suit various diff ratios for the models they were originally fitted to.

That's odd as the gear ratios are almost exactly the same, and certainly 4th is, so its only the speedo drive gear that is screwing you around like Parrot said. One box must have been used in an auto and one in a manual, or maybe its a wagon g'box.

 

KE30-55 Auto had 4.3

KE30-55 Manual had 4.1

KE36 Manual had 4.5

KE38 Manual had 4.3

LoL !! How come I never noticed that!

 

So that only leaves a wagon with a manual box and a low diff, compared to Justin's 4speed in a sedan.

I've got a k40 from a ke70 in my ke20 with a ke55 4.1 diff. I've experienced no issues with the speedo.

Early ke30 4 speed speedo drives are different ratio to the late ke30/55 4 and 5 speeds. Went through this problem many years ago trying to find a new speedo drive for an early 4 speed, not sure why it was different, but it was,

 

cheers!

Edited by Clapped out

  • Author

You need to match the speedo gearing. There is an inner helical gear and an outer plastic gear. The inner is moderately complicated to change, the outer plastic gear (on the end of the rod the speedo cable slots into) simply pulls out of the speedo drive hole. Not sure if the k40 and k50 outer gears are identical size wise, but be aware they can be obtained with assorted teeth numbers to suit various diff ratios for the models they were originally fitted to.

 

soo, I have swapped the diff once before with the 4 speed and no change the the speedo, assuming the diff ratio was 4.1, I grabbed the speedo gear off the k40 and counted the teeth and both had the same amount of teeth 19. Now I think that the box I bought was out of a ke55 which may have had a different ratio differential, so is the inner speedo gear easy to change over, maybe the k40 inner speedo gear will fix the issue. L

  • Author

Early ke30 4 speed speedo drives are different ratio to the late ke30/55 4 and 5 speeds. Went through this problem many years ago trying to find a new speedo drive for an early 4 speed, not sure why it was different, but it was,

 

cheers!

 

so from what your saying and what I have, if I find a speedo gear with more than 19 teeth, it should slow down my speedo which is what I need. Anybody know if speedo gears have mire then 19 teeth or if its different internally.

 

Cheers

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.