Ke20 Suspension

dysolve

HI all

Last weekend while racing my ke20 in a motorkhana i found my bottom door sil's nearly touching the ground because my 20 now has more suspension travel then my hilux, does any body know a cheats why of stiffing up the rear/front suspension? The things like a boat, and after my heater box blew up the car was full of lovely green water so I thought I was in one of sydney's sharkcats... LOL

thanks David.

Members dont see this ad

Damn, my 20is basically standard suspension wise and it doesnt roll that much. Maybe I'm just used to it. Ive actually softened my rear springs.

You could cut a coil from your front springs for a cheap and nasty way of stiffening (I'm now running for cover from everyone for suggesting cut springs :) )

You could modify another front anti roll bar and run twin bars on the front to reduce the roll.

i am going to be putting a 1G-GTTE in to the 20 later on so I will have to do heaps of work to the suspension, and at the moment i just race the car in khanas and I just want a cheap and nasty fix to last a few months i don't want to spend money now just to rip it all out again in two or three months time,if I do not want to do the suspension change for the 1G now as I have no idea what to do untill the new engine is in the car. Anybody have any idea how much cheap shockies cost for a 20?

dude, don't f@$k around

do it the right way

suspension, brakes, diff, stiffening THEN engine.

with the 1ggte ke70 ive had so many issues coz A) my intercooler is 4" thick

and B) the rear hoses are against the back of the bay and ive had to put the radiator thru infront of the rail to mount the thermofan behind the radiator so it clears te pulleys.

these are BIG engines length wise, ive seen one in a ke30 here: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...tart=0&count=60

ive never read the whole thing so i don't know if it says anuything about handlng

but if you have a search here on rollaclub there is info from "emp?" about his 30 with 1g

says it isnt anyworse than his other engine he had in it, but this wasnt the 3k. soo hmm

but seriously, the ke70 is even a touch small for the engine

i havnt driven it properly yet but surprisely steering isnt too heavy. duno how it handles tho.

previous owner said great for power slides, sucky for tight drift work

so imagine that in a way smaller car, with 200kg less weight....

if you have the original factory rebuildable oil filled struts at the front you can dismantle them and experiment with thicker oils. you can use motorbike fork oil and hydraulic fluid of varying weights.

normally with after market shocks, the original strut innards are tossed when new inserts are put in. the original style ones are probably not that commonplace but some cars still have them.

Stick some decent shocks in the front and start off with about 200 lb springs and see how they feel. Get your rear springs reset by someone who knows what they're doing, and that will improve the back end somewhat.

I doubt that a 1gg will fit in a 20, and if it does, it will trash any semblance of balance that the car had. I've always thought a 2TG was a bit big for a 20, FWIW. Fitting a 1GG to do motorkhanas and other club sport is overkill, and will upset the balance of a good little car.

My 2c.

R

I want to get my ke20 handling well too so I'm interested in what you do as your car is actually on the road and you will probably beat me to it.

I was thinking about ordering a set of these.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...php/II=93/CA=18

A parts car i bought came with brand new gabriel shocks in boxes in the boot but I've been told they are pretty much stock replacement shocks.?

So far I have some pedders springs; also off a parts car, and when my mate measured up a custom swaybar for his ke20, I rang them up and asked for another copy to be made for me.

dude, don't f@$k around

do it the right way

suspension, brakes, diff, stiffening THEN engine.

:) :D :D

I can't agree more, or stress this point enough... That is THE most useful thing you can tell anyone who is building a performance car!!!

You'll NEVER be competitive in a car that doesn't go around corners... Unless you are a drag racer!!

Make it stop hard, and turn hard, BEFORE you make it go hard!!

I once did a motorkhana in the my stock engined, but stiff suspensioned KE30... Was 3rd in class to a Mini Special (basically a mini without a body), and an genuine Elfin Clubman, in a class of 6 cars, and 7th outright in a field of 25. Field included 2 Evos and a 400BHP Commodore, and Targa Cars.

My .02c

I want to get my ke20 handling well too so I'm interested in what you do as your car is actually on the road and you will probably beat me to it.

I was thinking about ordering a set of these.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...php/II=93/CA=18

A parts car i bought came with brand new gabriel shocks in boxes in the boot but I've been told they are pretty much stock replacement shocks.?

So far I have some pedders springs; also off a parts car, and when my mate measured up a custom swaybar for his ke20, I rang them up and asked for another copy to be made for me.

Why bother with the adjustable height kit? Get the correct spring to start with and you'll not have a problem. Unless you're going to be raising and lowering on a regular basis, or going really hard core, I can't see the point.

Gabriel shock should stay where they are, in the boot.

Don't look at doing a swaybar until you've sorted springs and shocks, or you'll end up chasing your tail if thing don't work properly.

I wrote up a blurb last night on another threa about how I consider suspension should be tackled if you can be bothered reading it. :)

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...ndpost&p=111888

Cheers

R

Will leave the gabriels in the boot :lolcry: I just thought the adjustables would be cool because I don't know which spring is the height i want. I will put those pedders ones in and see what they look like (the car is on axle stands atm).

The swaybar which got made isn't too different or thicker, I didn't have one at all on the car I got given. It just has a slightly different angle to help stop it hitting the body on bumps.