4Age Race Build. Gasket Kit? Main Bearings?

crunk81us

Hi Guys,

I have spent a lot of time and money so far on gathering all the bits i need for my new engine.

I wont go into the list of parts, but it is substantial, i have bought very high quality parts throughout and should have a redline above or around 9k rpm. (limited to 8500 for longevitys sake. hope to have a second tune done after running in for if i want to push a bit harder on race day ;)

2 questions i cannot find answers to.

1- full gasket kit.. do i need one? I have a trd .8mm HG, and oem manifold gaskets. The head is fully rebuilt. Are there any other gaskets i will need, or will gasket goo be fine or better or what? I don't want to spend all these dollars and have a leaky engine.

2- I have bought a set of ACL race bearings, (havent arrived yet) but as far as i can see they do not come with main/crank bearings?? is there a quality item i can use here? I can't find anything other than cheapish ebay stuff. maybe oem?

please don't flame me and tell me to search. I have. lots :)

And yes I know there are dedicated 4age sites, but they are not quite as helpful as the people i have come into contact with here and seem to ignore what might look like an already covered topic.

tia :)

Members dont see this ad

I Rebuilt a 3k from scratch everything new.. and of the few parts/gaskets that werent completely refurbished or replaced they shit themselves or leaked shortly after rebuild was complete.. used gasket goo etc.. for peace of mind especially if your going to push it i would hold back until you can get all new gaskets.

Unless your HG is in really good condition I would opt for a new one.

As for bearings my usual preference is ACL Race, then King and then normal ACL. i used king big end bearings in my 4A rods without a problem at high revs.

What is the bearing that you have? normally you need a set for the mains and a set for the big ends. thats it. make sure you have measured your crank to make sure you get either standard or undersize, depending if the crank has been ground or just polished.

-Phil

As for bearings my usual preference is ACL Race, then King and then normal ACL. i used king big end bearings in my 4A rods without a problem at high revs.

What is the bearing that you have? normally you need a set for the mains and a set for the big ends. thats it. make sure you have measured your crank to make sure you get either standard or undersize, depending if the crank has been ground or just polished.

-Phil

I have acl race rod bearings. king hey? I will have a search :)

I Rebuilt a 3k from scratch everything new.. and of the few parts/gaskets that werent completely refurbished or replaced they shit themselves or leaked shortly after rebuild was complete.. used gasket goo etc.. for peace of mind especially if your going to push it i would hold back until you can get all new gaskets.

Unless your HG is in really good condition I would opt for a new one.

got a new trd .8mm hg, realised i will def need crank seals etc as well. i think i will grab a complet oem kit (provided its not 11 billionty dollars)

Most gaskets you will require will be in a VRS kit, with the exception of the oil pump gasket (which should come with a new pump). I recommend talking to Sam from SQ Engineering for crank seals etc, he has genuine Toyota items in stock at decent prices.

I used Taiho bearings in my rebuild, nothing against ACL, they were just more readily available to me.

However you end up acquiring parts, if you're going to the effort of building a new engine, why would you put a secondhand gasket in it?

I used this brand back in the day.

http://www.ebay.com....=item3f3389a3c5

You should be able to buy the bottom end gaskets in a kit too.

Are you suggesting to reuse a head gasket? is it completely made of metal?

no i have a brand new one. I have a running engine in my car while i build my good engine with ALL new parts :)

Most gaskets you will require will be in a VRS kit, with the exception of the oil pump gasket (which should come with a new pump). I recommend talking to Sam from SQ Engineering for crank seals etc, he has genuine Toyota items in stock at decent prices.

I used Taiho bearings in my rebuild, nothing against ACL, they were just more readily available to me.

However you end up acquiring parts, if you're going to the effort of building a new engine, why would you put a secondhand gasket in it?

ALL brand new gaskets... I was trying ascertain which other gaskets i need and which i can use gasket goo for.. I have found a bottom end kit with main seals, pump seals etc. the head already has all new parts and gaskets. I think any others i should be able to use goo for.

Also found myself acl race mains as well as rod bearings.

for those interested my parts list (ordered and already have):

all going in a smallport..

camtech 290 degree intake and exhaust cams

hd valve springs

fully rebuilt, ported and port matched head and intake

toda cam pulleys (only used part in build.. in great condition though)

HKS (from memory) timing belt

12:1 cp pistons

spool rods

acl race bearings

arp head studs, rod bolts, flywheel bolts

lightweight flywheel 5 puck clutch

trd .8mm hg

ttt lightweight pulley

there will be other bits and pieces like water pump etc but thats the boring stuff ;)

all will be machined honed and balanced.

not totally decided but looking at microtech with race dash

will be running e85 and dependant on clearances and cc of heads etc, hoping to machine to close to 13:1 comp.

Also hoping it will stay a non interference engine thanks to the large valve recess in the cp pistons.

I would be surprised if you were able to keep it non-interference with a 13:1 comp ratio, from memory i had issues with valve-valve interference with those cams if you turned them over individually as well. something to keep in mind when dialing up the cams.

I'm not too fussed if it becomes an interference engine, would be nice if it didnt.. the cp pistons have large recesses in them for oversized valves and high lift cams. as my cams are only 8.6mm lift and the majority of my compression comes from the pistons.. i am keeping fingers crossed that it will be ok.

It'll be good to see what sort of power you get :)

yeah I know right ;) I can't wait :D

also trying to find a quad throttle setup, I have a complete silvertop intake, so i guess i might have to pay the crazy price from ttt for a small chunk of alloy ;)