Weak Point Of Ke70 Lsd

batmo

Borgys in a full weight Falcon are good for mid nine second passes. Given an e7 are half the weight it should be fine with a set of billet axels. FYI skyline, falcon and commo diffs are all pretty much the same internally all except a couple of different splines on axels.

The S366 with moo 3.8L will do easy 350rwkw but I don't think my car will get faster than 10s if I drag it. t56 and hard suspension = crapola 60ft but yeah, take your point about being similar based components with the falcon and commo diffs

E7? IS this the nick name for a KE70 for you more familiar guys ?

Ohhh I must be drunk. When you said Borgies are good for 9s I thought you were referring to my Borg warner based turbo lol!

Edited by batmo

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if its a circuit car then you're not going to enjoy a 400kw straight six in a ke70 as much as you might in a commodore. Keeping weight down don't mean shit if your engine is already a massive heavy 200kg plus unit. A heavier diff might balance the car out better. You can make it handle but will have to move the firewall to carry the weight in the correct places.

The thing about a ke70 is, you cannot just transfer over a bunch of commodore and ford knowledge to modifying one. Its a completely different thing. Its like you're feeding your cat fish food, just because you used to have a fish before the cat.

You should research what we do with them for a while. Individuality is great, however it would be nice to frame the discussion around the strengths of the car, what fits and what's known to work already. To me this means agility, light weight, balance and a confidence inspiring all around drive, usually with an inline 4 or possibly v6. Nowhere in this summary is a lot of power really part of the formula.

In my opinion, you would be best with 250-300hp at the wheels and linear torque. That's all the chassis needs. The fastest and most successful rally ke70 I know only dynoed at 100 and something horsepower, but it drove great. Less is more. You should open yourself up to the idea of researching hp per kg of engine, not hp per litre of engine.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

I think if its a circuit car then you're not going to enjoy a 400kw straight six in a ke70 as much as you might in a commodore. Keeping weight down don't mean shit if your engine is already a massive heavy 200kg plus unit. A heavier diff might balance the car out better. You can make it handle but will have to move the firewall to carry the weight in the correct places.

The thing about a ke70 is, you cannot just transfer over a bunch of commodore and ford knowledge to modifying one. Its a completely different thing. Its like you're feeding your cat fish food, just because you used to have a fish before the cat.

You should research what we do with them for a while. Individuality is great, however it would be nice to frame the discussion around the strengths of the car, what fits and what's known to work already. To me this means agility, light weight, balance and a confidence inspiring all around drive, usually with an inline 4 or possibly v6. Nowhere in this summary is a lot of power really part of the formula.

In my opinion, you would be best with 250-300hp at the wheels and linear torque. That's all the chassis needs. The fastest and most successful rally ke70 I know only dynoed at 100 and something horsepower, but it drove great. Less is more. You should open yourself up to the idea of researching hp per kg of engine, not hp per litre of engine.

Totally excellent points an train of thought there. Couldn't agree more. It's a turbo V6 hence the mention of moo haha. Firewall is pretty open already as I removed an LS1 conversion to fit the V6 in the hope of getting it back further over the front axle line.

Balance will be aided by a water to air intercooler system and a water resevoir. While extra weight may be ludicrous to guys thinking of circuit racing my aim is to have fun and trim fat as needed. Water res can be used as ballast of sorts too and be located anywhere in the cabin or boot. Boot floor has been removed and am fabbing a much lower one so c of g will be better. Just need this diff sorted

could you shed some light on T series plz?

Billet axles are definitely not out of the question and trying to keep unsprung weight down as well so a Hi Lux diff will be a good option but I think last resort

Your KE70's axle code is most likely an "S" code...

Vintagpublic.jpg

note the bottom line, far left "c/tr/a/tm" = color, trim, axle, trans. My axle code is S374.

You can look up axle codes here - http://www.celica-gt...tial_codes.html

The "S" code ring (crown) gear is 6.38" and is the predominant axle size in most E7 models (some 2TG powered GT models) were available with the larger "T" 6.7" ring(crown) gear, ALSO the AE86 GTS (Corolla model after the E7) came through with a "T" axle, and disc brakes

Diffswap3_zps6adfc46f.jpg

Here I'm swapping in a "T" assembly for the original "S" unit - seen on the ground.

The "T" housing/ring(crown) gear/assembly is the unit Weir Performance built their axle kit for.......

450_scturbo3uq2.jpg

Edited by oldeskewltoy

If it's a ke70 it wouldn't have an S series Diff stock, although some trim models (maybe the XX) came with an S. Most likely it's the run of the mill Borg Warner. Incidentally most people will argue the BW is far stronger when locked compared to the S.

Also OP, LSD options for the S are as rare as to be non-existent as the BW.

You could look at Tarago For series diffs. Plenty of LSD options (ma61, is200).

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Yeah, confirmed with the old owner it's an S series lsd. Will go an R31 bw78 diff and use a tru trac. Will run the car at low boost for a while until i start getting the handling under control so should help the bw78 live for a while

Your KE70's axle code is most likely an "S" code...

Vintagpublic.jpg

note the bottom line, far left "c/tr/a/tm" = color, trim, axle, trans. My axle code is S374.

You can look up axle codes here - http://www.celica-gt...tial_codes.html

The "S" code ring (crown) gear is 6.38" and is the predominant axle size in most E7 models (some 2TG powered GT models) were available with the larger "T" 6.7" ring(crown) gear, ALSO the AE86 GTS (Corolla model after the E7) came through with a "T" axle, and disc brakes

Diffswap3_zps6adfc46f.jpg

Here I'm swapping in a "T" assembly for the original "S" unit - seen on the ground.

The "T" housing/ring(crown) gear/assembly is the unit Weir Performance built their axle kit for.......

450_scturbo3uq2.jpg

Awesome info there. Appreciated!

100% sure its an S series? Count the bolts holding the center in, if its 8 its an S, if 10 its a T. I don't think I have heard of or know of anyone with an S series LSD. There are rumours they exist so its not out of the realm of possibility. Unless its just welded.