1979 Ke55 Coupe Restoration

Mike V

Hey all, I'm thinking about buying a ke55 coupe and then doing a full restoration. I'm just wondering if anyone else on here has done this and how much it set them back.

The ke55 I'm looking at buying requires new paint, new interior and an engine rebuild or swap if its necessary

Members dont see this ad

Its a how long is a piece of string question .

1;How much can you do your self?

2;budget how much can you spend on it?

3; Have you a shed that you can do it in ,tools to do the work.

4 Remember that the coupes are getting harder to find ,there for demand more money.

5 the old saying to build a great car, first start with a good car.(pay the extra for a good one to start not a rust bucket bondo bus)

There a lot of helpful guys on this forum.

I d say if you have the money to do it go for it.

Sadly a lot of projects end half finished in the for sale section,thru lack of planning and funds.

As far as how much it would cost depends on what and how far you go 100-50000 the skys the limit!!!!(do a budget)and try stick to it.

Welcome to rolla club Rob

What Rob says is dead right, you can make a pleasant daily much cheaper than a show car. Unless you're a panel-beater/welder/spray painter or have rally good mates who are, you will need a good body to start with.

Here's an overview of the project management side of it. A restoration would be just a bigger version of an engine swap.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/64432-how-to-tackle-that-engine-conversion/page__p__645057__hl__how%20that%20engine%20swap#entry645057

Couldn't agree more with parrot ..

Also the seller talks about it being "Pretty straight" & is in primer ready to paint, firstly why paint a car that is pretty straight, surely you would get it straight first ?? & secondly you would need to strip it back to bare metal as primer is very porous & will absorb moisture from the air causing the underneath metal to start to rust & also what is the primer covering ?? Rust / poor repairs / etc etc ???..

Edited by lexsmaz