Ke1X Steering Wheel Spline Depth... Different??

Hi all.

I've been having problems with my indicators so I took my wheel off to check my column switch.

I haven't got to the bottom of that problem but I now have a much bigger problem.

My steering wheel was lost during panel & paint so I replaced it with one off a 67/68 KE15.

I also used the column switch off the KE15 as mine was broken.

I didn't fit the wheel after the panel and paint so didn't give it a second thought.

Now after taking it off I found that the wheel/column switch don't push down far enough onto the shaft.

The wheel is only catching a couple mm of the spline...

I have her booked in for a show on the 19th of April and I thing the best solution is getting a 67 KE10 wheel and column switch.

Anyone have one they would sell or loan for a week??

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Jono. The wheel on it's own won't fix the problem. It's the height of the column switch that's the problem. Then because I've been driving her with this problem the splines in the wheel are damaged.

So I really need the switch and the wheel.

Is anyone able to measure the height of a KE10 (preferably 67) column switch for me?

For reference...Two different length steering shafts are to be found in KE1X cars.

Learnt this hard way after rebuilding a steering box new bearings etc I used a shoft shaft....

So ou need to have long shaft and wheel and indicator assy to suit or short and short stuff to suit.

Pain in the ass really..lol

But long and short shafts in steering boxes can be swapped EASY...As worm geear DOES fail in these items so good to be done keep cars steering safely.

I hope you park while sorting it out, if you've only got about half the splines gripping. I had an aftermarket wheel lose it's splines, while driving...not fun, wasn't going fast and managed to stop. Pulled it off and got back home with my big visegrip pliers locked on the shaft ( which is a totally weird feeling with no wheel in front of you). Back to the original.

There is quite a bit of force generated there to turn that shaft, which is why they have those huge steering wheels without power steering. It's a bad picture but you can see where it too only gripped about halfway on the splines.

post-3326-0-25916000-1428371582_thumb.jpg

Edited by CorollaNut68