Bigport 4Age Problems

smackdownz

Hey guys,got a new project and having a few problems getting my bigport 4age to run properly in my ae86. MAP sensor'd

cars undrivable at the moment, if i give the throttle a real quick hit and bring it up to say 2500rpm it misses and backfires and carrys on, if i move the throttle slowly to 2500 not a problem at all

idles like crap (see vid)

What ive tried;

Have statically timed (everything lines up, cam timing etc)

timing is at 10BTDC with diagnose bridged (timing is pretty erratic, 10degrees for 2-3 seconds then jumps to 15 then back to 10 etc etc..)

compression check 140-145 on all 4 cylinders

checked vac hoses

TPS adjusted and in range

Cleaned iscv/throttle body new gaskets everywhere

new dizzy cap

new plugs

new leads

all sparkplugs are sparking

Any ideas?

Edited by smackdownz

Members dont see this ad

Get the 4AGE diagnostic manual off the net, or send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a copy. Its 6Meg so I can't post it here.

It is the proper Toyota manual for their agent's workshops. Work your way through and sort out why #1 is not firing, or overfuelling.

Do you get any error codes?

(Don't thank me, thank Parrot, who gave it to me!)

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy at work.

Took injecters out and cleaned. cleaned plugs and no more black plug on cylinder one so that problem is fixed. altho seems to have not helped it running like crap still. I'm seriously at a loss to what it is...

also set idle again and tried another TPS but hasnt changed a thing still the exact problem i was having before, misses, idles crap, no power etc..

went thru the book and did all the tests to check coil/ignitor etc etc etc all in spec

any idea where to go now?

Edited by smackdownz

I suspect your idle circuit in the TPS is out. You cannot set ignition timing until your idle circuit in the TPS is closed, as the ECU will not go into diagnostic mode (regardless of whether the diagnostic light is flashing or not). The timing will jump around everywhere and just generally be way out.

How do i go about checking this, have followed the book the test the tps and all in spec. The car seems to want to run a lot better with timing say at 30is(unbridged) doesnt ping or anything just seems happier up there? But obviously somethings wrong. (yes cam timing and everything else is 100% correct)

• 3 months later...

hey guys , need some expert help , recently done a 4age smallport swap on my ae92 , the engines cranks up and runs but the problem i am facing is when i rev the engine it does not rev up (what i am trying to say is when i start the engine it starts fine but when i try to rev the engine it dies) . the map sensor is fine, the TPS is fine, fuel pump pressure is fine, fuel rail pressure is fine, injectors are working fine , need help can't figure out what the prb. is

Edited by ali123