Ta22 Struts In Ke20

SM Hunter

hi, iv got a KE20 shell that i though i'd just scrap but now iv gotten hold of a set of ta22 struts and ta22 diff with tailshaft, and i have soem spare K series engiens with gearboxes

soo what do i need to do to get the ta22 struts into a KE20? i'v got both ke20 control arms and ta22, ke20 LCA and half the Ta22 LCA, so in worst case senario i need to weld the celica LCA to the corollas. and will a K40 fit a TA22 tailshaft?

Edited by SM Hunter

Members dont see this ad

Thanks alot for answers, okay, so i could just weld up the hole in the steering arms then redrill a smaller hole, or somthing else, i needs some days to think about this one. ill take meassures of the rear axles when i get home! whats the best way to mount a rear axle from a car with normal springs into a KE20, just cut away all the linkage mounts and spring mounts and then weld on a square plate where the leafs are?

so i could just weld up the hole in the steering arms then redrill a smaller hole,

Noo... the hole is tapered isn't it, to fit a balljoint. We are talking about the tie-rod end here aren't we?? Same for the steering arm onto LCA hole too.

Then your Corolla steering arm probably won't fit the Celica strut, I know a KE70 steering arm won't fit an RA40 Celica strut the holes are too far apart.

..and using the RA40 Celica hub and brakes you can't fit 13" wheels on any more.

So there are a few problems that pop up.

Can you cut the leaf spring mounts off an old diff?? If not just copy them, a flat plate with triangle sides to hold the plate off the diff as it needs a hole in it to locate the spring pack bolt doesn't it??

I had to change the KE70 rear driveshaft U-joint & flange to put an RA60 diff into a KE70. Shortened the driveshaft 8mm too and balanced it, so it all got quite expensive.

I'm sure you'll work it out!!

Correct. The hole in the steering arm that accepts the ball joint pin is larger (and tapered) on the TA22 steering arms. Of course this is because the balljoint pin is larger in the TA22 than it is in a KE20 (which is also tapered).

The KE20 arms will not bolt to the bottom of the TA22 strut as the mounting holes are closer on the KE20 arms (80mm from memory).

I'm unclear what level of butchery may enable you to fit a TA22 balljoint into a KE20 lower control arm. If it was easy, everyone would be doing that rather than paying large sums trying to source TE27 steering arms which are a direct bolt in fit. So may not be practical. Or practicalities of adapting a TA22 control arm to a KE20 crossmember.

okay, so this is just a shell i have sitting arorund , not looking into spending any cash on this, so I'm thinking the easiest is to cut the corolla LCA in half then rewelding it with the celica and reinforcing it, that whay i will be able to dial in some camber aswell :hmm: if the driveshaft is 8mm too long I'm just moving the rear axle, i don't really care about 1cm, but ill meassure that when i get home...

yeah te27 steering arms would have been the best, but i have 2 other KE20's that is more important than this and i just can't afford it