1975 Ke30 Sedan

Peachey

Hey guys,

I own a 1975 KE30 Corolla sedan. Its basically standard apart from wheels.

Has some nasty rust in a few places aswell as a few dings around the place but its not too much trouble to fix considering I am a panel beater.

I will be doing a conversion to a 2002 BEAMS 3SGE Blacktop with 2004 model 6 speed box(and a few other goodies). I am just waiting for the engine to be checked out by someone because I can't inspect for myself before I buy. Hoping in will be here in the next 3-4 weeks, if not sooner.

I will be running a custom one piece 3" tailshaft, and a Hilux diff with true trac LSD centre and discs.

I will be doing a coilover conversion on the front but not yet decided on the brakes I will be using up front. Rear shocks/springs are still yet to be decided upon.

I am still trying to sort a pedal box setup to suit the engine so the brake booster wont hit the intake manifold. And still have few other little queries regarding fitment but I would like to have the motor before I can make any decisions in regards to these.

Obviously a custom crossmember is going to have to be fabrication. I will be putting together a rough guide crossmember myself and having a professional make the final product from that, although I have no idea who is best for this yet.

Fuel system is still a work in progress but I have a fair few different ideas for that and I will have to sort through them all and pick the most suitable.

Obviously this wont be the easiest conversion but I am just hoping that it isnt going to end up having more trouble then possible to fabricate(at a half reasonable price anyway), so I will be fitting the engine and drivetrain before anything else is touched and if all goes to plan it will then be removed again and the body will hit full pace.

The plans for the body are basically as follows:

- Strip car completely.

- Repair all rust, dings and any other bad spots.

- Remove feul filler(not a fan of the standard item and placement) and move behind the number plates(gotta sort getting the fuel to the tank from this point still)

- GT teardrop mirrors, or possibly some fender mirrors.

- Shave badges all round, bar the grille badge.

- Possibly remove all locks, but will decide if its worth it when the time comes. The boot lock has to go though.

- Flair the guards a little, specially at the rear to suit wider rims. I will also look into some very minor/subtle mini tubs while I am at it.

- Full respray in a nice cream white

Will be running some 15" stockers(looking maybe to Fords) but possibly altering these to suit and looking to maybe widen them as much as feasible and then these will be painted a metallic gun metal grey, with the polished dress rings and wrapped in some decent rubber with some thin lined red walls cut in.

I will be keeping basically the standard interior for the time being, obvious the dash will need some much more serious gauge work and the shifter etc will be different. But I would like to retain a near stock appearence. I will be putting new carpet though to match the standard cream trim. Also fitting a new wheel (hopefully a Nardi Deep Corn wheel), and a basic stereo(MP3 headunit, some basic but quality speakers, no subs though). Eventually I would like to have the seats re bolstered and retrimmed in the same off white vinyl. I am trying to locate a crack free dash but this hasn't proven overly successful so that will have to be sorted aswell.

Once all this is done(not overly fussed about interior yet though) the engine will start getting some go fast bits. Firstly I would like to fit a TRD short shifter, lightened fly wheel and new clutch.

I will also be upgrading to a Motec M400 with cam control and fly bye features, along with some quad TB's(this just may be necessary first up to fit the engine in).

Also eyeing off some nice TODA parts including, springs, high compression/overbore pistons and rods, and a couple of other bits that will be purchased once the bank balance allows them.

Basically its just a matter of the engine arriving, rego is coming up so I will be waiting for that, and then from that day the engine will be removed, and the car stripped, and stay at full flight. I want it done as quickly as possible, but I don't want to rush anything, and who knows what could go wrong, modifying cars always takes longer then expected.

Anyway, let us know what you think of some of the plans so far, and if you have any ideas on some of the undecided parts, or anything else you think I should do please post them up or PM me.

Regards,

Peachey

Members dont see this ad

No worries, pics should be up pretty soon, its been a little bit hard lately, I am working whenever there is light although I have a couple of weeks holidays starting this week so I will have some posted ASAP, also hopfeully get a fair bit done, sadly my engine hasn't hit down yet.

What do you mean by "what does it have?"

I am guessing somethign along the lines of this is what you were after. 210BHP,210nm(something around that), 11.5:1 CR, dual VVTi, 6 speed box. Is this the kind of stuff you meant?

Yeah I will be putting a fair bit of money into this corolla, but keep in mind, most work will be done by myself and with the help of family of friends so thats a big money saver to start.

Body work, respray, engine conversion are all basically free, apart from the parts that are required.

Interior will be virtually standard, but when I can find the right parts will be upgraded with better parts, along with a basic stereo system, Hilux diff, brakes(from other cars), coilover conversion gear for front and rear suspension upgrade and a few other bits which I will be making myself and/or fitting myself. Obviously this has been quite simplified but yes I love this car, and I have been wanting to do one for a very long time, but think of it this way, I could pump a hell of lot more into other cars with lesser results.

Basically to begin with, the only things that are really gonna be costing money is the parts, a little bit of fabrication of some parts I wont be able to do myself, basic retrim, and a few other odd little bits here and there.

And then once this is sorted, the money starts to dry up much more when it comes to starting to do things up.

Peachey

Is BEAMS a tuning company to jap cars like say Alpina is to BMW or Cosworth is to FORD?

I guess I was asking the difference between a standard 3SGE motor and the one you have found.

3S-GE beams comes in 2 form, Redtop and Blacktop. Red is from MR2 and Celica, it´s with VVT-i. Blacktop is from Altezza and it´s with Dual VVT-i, intake and exhaust variable valve timing intelligence. Beams comes from words Breakthrough Engine Advanced Mechanism System. Those are completely factory engines. Natural aspirated sceamers. Redtop 200hp and Blacktop 210hp. Japanese small horses thou :D

I have 195 @ 7800 in my Blacktop.

Edited by -A1-

Yikes! This one just grabbed my attention now!

Nice project! :( I'm subscribing to this one. So you're basically going semi-sleeper approach. Nothing over the top in looks but a crazy conversion. You have my utmost of respect, buddy... and welcome to RollaClub also. (Forgive the late reply)

:D

"whats the car goin to be used for??"

Well I want to be able to drive it on the road which is my main priority, but at the same time I want learn to race properly in it, and doing every track day I can, aswell as motorkhanas etc. I would love to be able to enter the car into tarmac rally, and even more so targa tassie, but that'd be after the whole car has been revised to suit, although I doubt it will happen due to rulings.

"I put beams to my carina 2004-2005 and it was really hard to find wirings. Now it´s done and works fine."

I am pretty sure I have seen your car, and I must say its an awesome beast if it is the one I am thinking of. Yeah I am gonna be in a little bit of a mess with the wiring, I have the standard loom coming with the engine but even then its still gonna be an effort. My brother is an electrician luckily and has wired a fair few cars aswell so that will hopefully help out. Although did you happen to find a decent wiring diagram by any chance?

"And titanium valve springs... or was it seats? "

its springs, actually it could be both. although the valve springs are going to be upgraded pretty quickly.

Peachey

And titanium valve springs... or was it seats? :(
valves, titanium valves

:D

automatic altezza have slightly different figures, 10hp less power and max torque comes in 4800, when in manual it comes in 6400 iirc. Rumours says that automatic model have different cams and even slightly different head, can´t confirm this yet.

Intake valvebuckets seems to have somekind of problems, I know 2 cases that cams have grind almost holes to top of the buckets. Buckets stays always in one position, won´t rotate as they should and cam hits always in same position :(

Edited by -A1-