Brighter Headlights

archontireq

hi guys.

after driving home in the pissing rain is tassie (yay for tassie weather) i decided i needed to increase the amount of light that my headlights supply. i think i could see more with them off.

so anyway, i see a few options i know of, but i have really only heard, but never tried these. :

1) use a lower gauge earth lead

2) brighter globes (how bright is the legal max?)

3) relay switch

i don't know of anymore options avaliable. labour is no worry, i am only limited to cost. if anybody knows any other ways or can even tell me how to do this i would be very greatful...

91 Toyota Paseo if that helps.

thanks

Members dont see this ad

you wernt using the high beams in the rain were you?

coz we all know it just reflects back and reduces your vision. same as in fog.

depending how dull they are, check the earth make sure its nice and clean, and if you want more light, go for better bulbs :D

i realise the reflection thing, I'm not THAT stupid...hmm.....no I'm not

anyway, the first port of call when i get time will be the earth. i might even put a bulkier one in. after that was the globes. can i just put brighter ones in and thats it or will i need more electronic crap, cable etc?

Put the brighter ones in, see if they work. If they don't you'll probably need the electronic shit that you need to add on, however, we've put brighter globes in mid-80s Falcons without any hassles...

Welcome to Rollaclub, by the way :D

Dan.

Put the brighter ones in, see if they work. If they don't you'll probably need the electronic shit that you need to add on, however, we've put brighter globes in mid-80s Falcons without any hassles...

Welcome to Rollaclub, by the way :)

Dan.

thanks.

problem 1 of 2 fixed. all that remains is aiming the lights and i will be set. thanks for the help. i got some of those new 'arctic blue' globes. they do the job just fine.

Most auto electricians have a little device that they put in front of your car and adjust your lights to suit, so they are spot on....Drop in on one and see what they can do for you.

If you put HEAPS more powerful globes you will need to run relays. But those blue globes should be ok. I have 50+H4 Globes in the front of my Corolla. They rule...But because the back of my car is lower than the front, they aim high, and my adjusting screws are out all the way :)

i think when "reduce size" was mentioned they meant go from 16 gauge to 8 gauge etc,

as the smaller the number the bigger the wire

of course, i'm sorry - i'm a regular electrician not an auto elec. I'm used to using millimetres squared to measure cable size.

i worked at an auto parts store for a while, and in wa (from memery) 65 watt is the the legal max. but autoteinca do a 85/115 and 115/135 watt in h4. warning we alway had people coming back with burned out wireing. the corolla that came back was a ke 55 and it cooked the switch in the steering collum. :lmao: messy