• 3 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:ninja: -Okay, I know this thread is old but I was at the wreckers today and had an idea.

Firstly are KE55 sedans and wagons the same length??

Well assuming that they are. If you were to remove the wheel well, back seat and petrol tank from the sedan, then replace them with the under car spare tire, fuel tank and foldable back seat from a wagon.

Assuming that they are the same length, it could work i think.

Jon.

I think the problem with that would be structural integrity, though you could probably work around it.

In the panel van/station wagon, the fuel tank is also located under the car as well as the spare wheel, so theoretically if you could put both of them under the caryou could have a lot of bootspace for a stereo install.

So cut out the floor of a station wagon in the rear and weld it into the floor of the sedan and problem/mounting points would be sold. Only issue is that on a panel van/station wagon, the fuel filler is located in the rear quarter panel.

So a custom tank relocating the filler to the back of the car would have to be used anyway.

Edited by Raven

:ninja: -So technically it should just slot right in?? I just wouldn't be sure about having my spare under the car. Some dipshit might come up late one nite and slash ur spare.

jon

Yep, filler is on the right side.

You'd have to somehow turn the tank around and then make a new filler neck to come up through the floor and sit behind the numberplate.

I'd even go for a recessed filler and a fuel filler door on the car to give it the smooth lines still.

Would look better than a great, big, dirty chrome fuel cap sitting there.

:ninja: -But thats just me. I Love chrome. Speaking of which when i was at the wreckers today i was looking at the chrome strips that go around the windscreens. I remember in a thread a while back people were argueing about the strips saying some are metal and others are plastic. Well there are many corollas at this wreckers and I couldn't find any ones with metal strips. ?????

I was trying to think of viable options for this; just came across it after JIP_01 mentioned it to me earlier today....

1) Custom drop tank. I've had this idea ever since I started getting into KE3x-5x models, I've always liked the idea of being able to improve the boot space and have the car looking tough as at the same time. Only problem with drop tanks that I've seen is if they are too deep, they end up looking like 'old-school rice'... in other words tacky. I've got a couple of pictures of a HK ute (dad's 'project' car, which isn't his, as confusing as that seems) thats right on the border of being too big. But its been custom fabricated, so heres proof it can be done; post-684-1150122185_thumb.jpg

post-684-1150122257_thumb.jpg

It can be done by any competent fabricator, whether its legal or not....

2) LPG - You could run a LPG tank underneath the car, as long as you put a 1/4" bash plate around it, so you can pass rego. In this case, it could be suitable to run two, or even three smaller LPG tanks, but keep in mind that LPG is a) not like petrol, so you will need to switch across (electrical) tanks when one runs out and fill them up seperately b) LPG tanks are reasonably strong, they can withstand quite a force without denting due to their cylinderical strength and c) would cost a fair bit to install

3) Run a custom plastic fuel tank, as found on the XD Falcons. You may be able to install a modified XD one, perhaps?

4) Do a Dan Special. Run your car off a jerry can, propped up by a brick in the engine bay. This should give you 20hp increase due to the dangerousness of the fuel vapours running around in a hot, sparky and downright dangerous environment. Dan says: "Arrr, she'll be right mate!

If Tiger blows up from my stupid ideas, its not my fault :thumbsup:

Sketch of the drop tank idea, note how far the tank goes underneath the car - KE55s have alot of room underneath once the spares been cut out...

post-684-1150178847_thumb.jpg

I've got a KE55 Sedan thats had the spare wheel well cut out, i'll take some photos of just how much room there actually is underneath it

Haha f@$ked up on the sketch so i turned it into exhaust :thumbsup: weird, huh...

If I were to do it (I thought of this, back when I got the ke55 and had plans for it as a project car), I would have a decent, clean wheel sitting in the corner of the boot, with a simple carpet cover over it. Another idea I toyed around with was making a box over the tyre, obviously with a lid, one that slides off.

But yeah, that was my idea...