Radiator/Cooling Help

Misael

Members dont see this ad

Hi Misael,

That is beautiful !   I'm sitting here at my desk, & have just watched your 2 videos, twice, while having a coffee.  I've now got to wipe my desk; not because I spilled my coffee; but because I've "droooled" so much over your car.  That is in incredibly good condition.  Orginal paint, & that dashboard top appears not to even have a crack in it.

Lots of very jealous guys here viewing your Rolla. Good luck with it, once you get it home, & put a spanner to it.  

Keep in touch.

Cheers Banjo

Hey Misael,

I stopped your video, & tried to read the mileage travelled on your car.  It looks like it is somewhere between 83-84K miles total.   As the meter only reads to 99,999 before it rolls over, do you think your 79 Rolla is still on it's first round of the meter ?

If it is, then by my arithmetic, your 41 year olde car, has only done approximately 2050 miles per year, or 3,300 klms per year.

If it is on the second time around, then those figures would still be, only 4,500 miles per year, or 7,200 klms per year.

That is truly remarkable.  

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

On 11/9/2020 at 2:28 PM, altezzaclub said:

WoW!  That is nice!  Definitely one to look after carefully.

Thank you my friend! She's a beauty!

12 hours ago, Banjo said:

Hey Misael,

I stopped your video, & tried to read the mileage travelled on your car.  It looks like it is somewhere between 83-84K miles total.   As the meter only reads to 99,999 before it rolls over, do you thing your 79 Rolla is still on it's first round of the meter ?

If it is, then by my arithmetic, your 41 year olde car, has only done approximately 2050 miles per year, or 3,300 klms per year.

If it is on the second time around, then those figures would still be, only 4,500 miles per year, or 7,200 klms per year.

That is truly remarkable.  

Cheers Banjo

Thank you as well bud! I'm glad you guys like it and enjoyed the video. Yes, you're right 83k miles. According to the gentleman I purchased it from those are original miles not turned over. It was his mother's groceries/errands car. Apparently his siblings were fighting over who was getting it so she decided it was best to sell it instead. I'm the lucky buyer!

• Upvote 1

Hi Misael,

Love it !

It was his mother's groceries/errands car. Apparently his siblings were fighting over who was getting it so she decided it was best to sell it instead. I'm the lucky buyer!

Invariably, behind every old car, still "percolating", there is a story.   Thanks for letting us know.

You certainly are a "lucky buyer".

Keep us up to date, on what you find with your routine servicing of the "cooling system".

Cheers Banjo 

On 11/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, Banjo said:

Hi Misael,

Love it !

Invariably, behind every old car, still "percolating", there is a story.   Thanks for letting us know.

You certainly are a "lucky buyer".

Keep us up to date, on what you find with your routine servicing of the "cooling system".

Cheers Banjo 

I'll definitely keep you guys up to date on everything. I've been so busy with our new home though haven't had a chance to do anything! What other things do you recommend to checkout on it? I'm really wanting to keep everything pretty much stock. The only thing I want to do is header and exhaust for now. I'll do a new carburetor later too but just not sure on which brand to go with. Also, not sure if to cat it or go catless on the exhaust. 

Hi Misael,

Also, not sure if to cat it or go catless on the exhaust. 

I'd definitely go "catless"  !

With a pussy cat in your exhaust system, it tends to attract lots of other cats  . . . . . . . . . . .  & dogs.

On top of that, the incessant meowing would drive you crazy !

Keep in touch

Cheers Banjo

Pretty strict there I think, from what I've read, although there are references to "whether you drive the car, in the cities like Phoenix & Tuson".  Maybe if you live out in the sticks, anything goes, same as in Australia.  I did read that old catalytic converters, are not to be sold, included in scrap metal.

Did spot this one on the web.

Are high flow CATs legal in Arizona?
Under 80k miles you are not legally allowed to remove or replace ANY cat on your car with anything but an OEM level cat. This means that yes, going from the oem 2 cat downpipe, to a single high flow cat, is just as illegal as being catless. You don't have to be from AZ, its a federal law.

Cheers Banjo

No catalytic is my original choice so glad you guys are backing it haha. So no cat it is!! 

My car is registered as a historic/classic vehicle so I don't need to have emissions performed on my car since it is not a daily driver. Therefore, I don't NEED to have a cat in my Rolla for emissions. 😉

That's good !   I can't imagine that Catalytic Converters were fitted by Toyota, back in 1979.  

I like that wording of Historic/Classic, in the same sentence.

I would regard our early Rollas, as classics, but never "historic".

I went to an all British Car show in Sydney a couple of years ago, & there certainly were some "historic" olde cars there.

image.png.d97dfd6d19ebeec10b232de73e7722ee.png

image.png.4878ee029ec8d29944005f71abfd96a6.png

image.png.0d2c32f5c4cdf07beb2fb07663f5d411.png

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 3:44 PM, Banjo said:

That's good !   I can't imagine that Catalytic Converters were fitted by Toyota, back in 1979.  

I like that wording of Historic/Classic, in the same sentence.

I would regard our early Rollas, as classics, but never "historic".

I went to an all British Car show in Sydney a couple of years ago, & there certainly were some "historic" olde cars there.

image.png.d97dfd6d19ebeec10b232de73e7722ee.png

image.png.4878ee029ec8d29944005f71abfd96a6.png

image.png.0d2c32f5c4cdf07beb2fb07663f5d411.png

Cheers Banjo 

Now these are historic! Very nice!

I can agree with you on our Corolla's being classic. I do wish my license plate said Classic Vehicle instead of Historic Vehicle. 

What are your thoughts on carburetors by the way? Would it be worth it to go for a Webber? I see that's the most commonly used carburetor. 

Hi Misael,

Is there any particular reason, you need to change the carburetor to a Webber ?  You pointed out early, that you wanted to keep it as original as possible.  For a car with 83-84k on it in 41 years, the wear & tear on the car mechanically, will be minimal.  However, simply, " time" can deteriorate alloys & metals, & a device like a dicast carby body can corrode inside, if left standing for years.

My suggestion, would be, to remove the carby, & dissemble completely, or give it to a professional, if you don't feel comfortable pulling it to pieces.  They will put it in a cleaning bath, & the whole unit will come back like new. If inspection after dissembling, indicates it is "passed it's prime", then by all means have a look at alternatives, & the Webber is a good one.

I would imagine, if this Rolla, has spent it's life in a dry climate like Arizona, that corrosion, is not a major issue, hopefully.

If you want a little more power out of the car, then there are several things we would suggest.

Change the oil & filter more regularly, for the first 10K.  Take it for a few long drives away from the city on highway roads, where you can open it up, & "let it breath".

Have the distributor professionally dissembled & cleaned.  (particularly under the plate where the advance springs & bob weights reside).

Drain & clean the fuel tank, & replace fuel filter.

The other thing, is to replace the exhaust muffler, if it is original.  It could well be the restrictive area to good through flow.

It is probably possible, that the head has never come off this engine, in 41 years. A valve grind & decoke, plus a new head gasket, will also be a treat for the engine.

You will be surprised how attention to all these little things accumulatively, could reawaken your little "olde" Rolla.

We wish you all the best with your new acquisition.  As I said before; there are a lot of people around the world, reading your post, that are very envious; yours truly included.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I think often the problem with carb swaps is that people usually get a Weber off something else and chuck it on and expect it to just work. Quite possibly it has wear and tear, and the Venturi and jet sizes are all wrong. 

Toyota put a lot of effort into getting it right with a compromise between emissions, driveability, economy, performance etc.  We come along years later and think we can magically transform it.  In reality we may improve one thing, but at the expense of everything else. Or just mess it up all together. Not saying don’t do it, but expect some tuning and dyno time to get it really good. And then of course, why stop there!

Edited by parrot
Autocorrect!

True!  Trade economy for performance and fit a Weber, but it won't do much if the exhaust is restrictive...  and then the stock cam won't be able to push the revs high enough to make the most of the bigger carb..  and higher compression will really get it going up top, and then port matching and sizing..

Its a punishing spiral once you're on it!

The thing about building an individual car is that Toyota built a giant compromise to try and suit everyone, but each of us can make the car much better for fewer things.  I hardly ever have another person in the car yet it seats 5, I'll never tow anything, or fill it to max load, so I can concentrate on making it light & nimble.  Decide what your car is for and lay out an overall plan. Weber sure, but what else will optimise it.