4a-c Project

hi i'm new to rolla club and found the site just after i got my first car, a 1983 corolla AE71 with a 4a-c and 5 speed. ive been lookin around for tips to boost the horsepower on the 4a-c for awhile and the most ive found out is "just get a 4a-ge". so i wanted to start a project on trying to double the horsepower on my 4a-c before i get my license so i have enough money to do it before i have to start paying insurance for it. So far i've been saving up for a new set of pacesetter headers and a straight pipe back to a ractive muffler and a paradise racing power pack for the 4a-c. I'm also gunna replace the radiator fan with an electric one and take out the a/c. i was just wondering what else i could do to achieve my goal of double the horsepower. I'm still pretty new to the engine and everything so any help will do.........

Members dont see this ad

I have the exact same car. So far I have found the original carb to be very restrictive. Replacing it with a weber or even a megasquirt injection would be very beneficial. The bad thing about 4ac motors is that the intake and exhaust are on the same side. This heats up the temperature of the air and you lose power. Since you are getting the header, i would wrap it while you were at it. Also, don't spend the money on a pace setter header. You could have one made for a fraction of the price that would work fine on that car. Double the power is gonna be very difficult with the way that engine is set up. To get that much power, you are gonna either wanna go with a turbo or nitrous. Either of these are gonna be pretty pricey. A good silver top goes for 600 dollars on ebay and it bolts in to the car. The power starts at 165 and that is without mods. I say save the money on all of the upgrades you wanna get and go with the newer motor. It is going to be way cheaper in the long run and i think much more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i currently have an AE82 4a-c and i am in the same boat of wanting more go from it,

how hard is it to re-wire in the silvertop, also how much would it cost (roughly) to get someone to do the whole conversion for you (not including cost of engine)? Has anyone had this done to a AE82?

hi, ive also joined up today as i want to know 1) what will fit into ae80 and what is the most worth while conv. to do. will the 4AGE fit in or is the 4AC the biigest i will get in there? does anyone know of some one in adelaide that knows rollas and could help me out. it currently has an athsmatic auto 2AC! thanks

if you used the 4age head, you would need to change to 4age pistons. probably would need the crank and rods to, as i think they are uprated.

I was running my blue top head on a 4a-fc block at one stage. About the only differences i could see was that the counter-balances between the cranks were different, i had to use the flywheel from the 4a-fc and the intake manifold support bracket didn't have a bolt hole on the block.

But, phastyotAE71, think of how much your spending on modding the 4a-c. That money could be used on a 4a-ge. If you was you i'd be spending money on things that could be transferred over to the 4a-ge. Like the exhuast (not including the extractors) for starters.

• 1 month later...

Here is my experience my mate and i both had

tercels one had 3ac and i fitted a 4ac in mine.

the biggest broblem i could find to air flow

was the air cleaner lid sits to close to the top

of the carby the secondary opens but can't get

enuf air in plus to small an air filter.My sulotion

after lots of looking was to fit a nissan bluebird rwd

air filter one the same diameter as the 4ac but is about

an inch higher take out the rubber sealing strip in your filter case

space up the bolt at the top of carb with a washer or to

so u can still screw the top on.u have now spaced the air

cleaner lid away from the carb and have a bigger air filter

pluse opened the case up all around the bottem of the lid

= lots more power and cheaper air filter then the toyota one :) give it a try worked on both of ours

david lawson has turboed the 4ac with some nice results on toymods. he has spent probaly 3 times the amount that a 4age would cost...

a early bigport head "should" fit in theroy because they had the same bottem end as a the 4ac, just twin cams, efi, twice as many valves....

• 2 weeks later...
david lawson has turboed the 4ac with some nice results on toymods. he has spent probaly 3 times the amount that a 4age would cost...

actually the motor set up cost about $1000 including EVERYTHING! brand new bottom end, exhaust, turbo, fabrication etc etc

it passes 4age cars like they are standing still

4agte is coming soon tho

but to do that I'm going to have to flog my parts all over rolla club and bump my warn level up