Worked 4k Vs 4age

Old-Skool-Rolla

Hey guys.

My name Nathan, some may know me, most wont :D

I am considering a conversion into a KE55 or similar.

I have been researching it for a while now, and have read the FAQ, and did a few searches, but i still have these questions.

I WAS going to do a 4AGTE but have been suggested against it, as the work needed. Now i have 2 decisions i would like to do.

1. A 4K with pretty well most of the stuff suggestd in the FAQ on how to work a K-series motor. Using a K50, or T50 g/box, and most likely the standard diff, "profesionall" wellded. Budget of say $1200.

2. A 4AGE (probably bigport) with a T50 g/box, and Again most likely the stock doff "professionaly" welded. Simple mods like pod, cams, advance timing, and exhaust system etc. Again with a budget of around $1200-$1400.

BOTH BUDGETS ARE MINUS THE INNITIAL PURCHASE OF THE CAR. everything i need to do, after i have bought a complete car.

I like the 4K option, as i read they will make good torque, but wont be a street warior, just to stun commo drivers. They sound PHAT :D from what i have heard, and will be a fun drive :D

I like the 4AGE option, as it is something a little "different" (i can't think of a single one with in 100Km of here) And they will obviously be quik with no mods.

I am leaning away from the 4A option as i have been told i will need to modify the crossmember/mounts, and i don't really have any knowledge of this yet.

I am leaning away from the 4K option as it is still a 25 odd year old motor, and essentially is a POS :D I am worried that even with a rebuild it wont last long. Whereas a 4A would last fine, as it is newer and "better"

The reason i am asking everyone, is not because i want to know what will give me instant "street cred" but which will be a better option overall. I don't mind a little hard work

I would personally prefer the 4A, but if it is the worst option, than maybe not.

Donor car would probably be a KE55 sedan or hardtop, or KE35 coupe like Rolla__boy's

Cheers for any help guys.

Nathan :D

Members dont see this ad

I'm really thinking of getting the car, then pulling out the 4K/3K, out in a bigport 4AGE, with T50, and weld the diff, then rebuild the 3/4K and well it, or buy anouther rolla and put it in, or something.

And then down the line when i get some moolah, i can go GTE, with a TD04 turbo, and GZE bottom end :D

It depends if you want to get it engineered etc.

It also depends where you buy the engine, you may find a written off rolla with a decent 4AGE in it for $500 and buy the whole car and have alot of the stuff you need.

If you intend to keep the car for a long time I would definately go the 4AGE, but if you just want to flog it around for a while and sell it off, just build a healthy 4K

can you buy a 4age, gearbox, extractors, radiator, fuel pump, surge tank, and get your diff "professionally" welded (whatever that means) for $1500? And then put it all in with custom engine mounts yourself?

What you talkin' 'bout Willis??? A 4A-GE (16-valve) will set you back about $800. A T50 with bellhousing is around $300. I don't know how much extractors would cost, but I'd budget about $500 for the entire exhaust system. You can use the standard KE30/55 radiator, you just need to find some hoses to fit between the motor and the radiator. A fuel pump will depend on what you want. VL Turbo fuel pumps are extremely popular, but as a result cost an absolute fortune. You should be able to pick up a decent pump (eg. Bosch) for about $200 maximum. A surge tank would be about another $200 (you'll get it for less than that). Of course, all your fuel lines will have to be converted from the standard KE30/55 ones to EFI-rated ones. Budget about another $300. If you intend to get this car registered, do NOT get the diff welded. It is illegal, plus it's not especially comfortable at low speed. From what I've suggested above, you get a total cost of approximately $2,300, so I'd recommend budgeting $3,000 minimum to be safe.

^^^ wow, thats great mate, thanks for that, only prob is i can get a motor for $350, bigport with ECU and anything else i need. but can't assure quality.

I thought about it long and hard, and i have decided to buy the car, rip out the 4K, strip it completely down, and rebuild the entire motor, attach a K50 box, and bobs your uncle.

I was really only doing it for the hands on experience, and i thouhgt a corolla and 4A as i know HEAPS about them. But rebuilding the 4K will be good, as it will give me experience in other motors, not just one i already know :D

Cheers for the guidance guys, and i will keep you posted on how it goes.

Oh and where the 4K a more common motor, or are the chances of finding a KE55 with one slim??