Which Has More Power 3 Or 4

HP or KW is only part of the power rating Torque needs to be taken into account too.

A 4K Should make more torque than a 3K as it has a larger displacment. so even if say the 3K and 4K had the same power output the 4K will go a little harder and have more pull as the toruqe is greater.

Members dont see this ad

Australia got the 3K-C engine, from memory didn't this produce less power than the other 3K variants?

But as has already been mentioned the 4K has over 100cc's more displacement than the 3K. I would say that the higher torque output and peak power at less rpm would be an advantage.

I have driven a Ke35 with a 3K and another one with a 4K, the 4K one did seem to have a bit more poke. The 4K one had a 5 speed, although according to my Toyota manual the ratios are the same in the K40 and K50 anyway.

Ah, i remember back in the good old days, only people with actual knowledge would post. A thread would be over in about 12 posts because the topic question was clearly and concisely answered.

Basically, a 3K isn't necessairly faster than a 4K and vice versa.

I have a mate who has a 3K KE30 and it is pretty slow.

My old 4K was slow when i first got it. Remove spaghetti, replace air filter, replace spark plugs, points, condenser and give it a good old tune, and she flew quite nicely.

Some motors are just quicker than others. Mileage, age, care, servicing etc has a lot more to do with how well an engine goes than the statistics on paper.

Edited by Mr Hardware

Hi,

OK so from what I get there roughly the same power out put just torque was increased. Thanks.

As the web page that quotes the 3K has more power never says if it was the K-c or another version of it.

I drove my KE70 around for a bit before I removed the 4K with K50 box on it and off the line heaps better than my KE30 with a 3K and K40 box. But I always though the K50 box has a lower first gear so I when I read the 3K put out more power put it down to this or the more torque it has.

But you are right in saying the polution gear kills the motor it is everywhere and a waste of power. So in my KE30 with none of the polution gear and a lighter car eg I have no side intrusion bars in doors and it makes them a LOT lighter. So I will report back on my findings.

But as is I run a stock 3K with 376,000KM on the clock and it doesnt blow smoke yet and starts easy BUT in the rocker cover it has a lot of by pass is starting to use oil and always pops the oil filler cap off due to the bypass gas. And the 4K that is replacing it has 100,00KM on it as it was rebuilt at 100,00 so in total it has 200,000 KM on it and has had new valves installed and the headd was slightly shaved and it will be going in with a new K50 box so should go a lot better.

Thanks

Cameron

I have a 3k rally motor with 82hp at the rear wheels.

Over in Finland there is a 4k that produces 180hp. (youch)

P.S. It also depends on what 4k you have. Their are many types with different pistons and power ratings. E.g 4k-eu's have buckets of torque, and the 4k-u has more power by a fair amount. (better then the standard 4k)

If in doubt check here

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit...K_Series/Blocks