July 19, 201016 yr comment_452897 Hi all, I've just bought myself an AE95 4WD Wagon which has just had a head gasket, water pump etc etc. but has a slight problem with the transmission. It's crunching into 2nd and 3rd which makes me assume its a synchro problem, but to talking to some of the other mechanics at my work, a couple of them have said that it is a design fault and that it can nt be fixed. I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and has fixed it? Also if anyone knows any good wreckers in the Sydney area? Just in case i need to replace the box. Thanks Report
August 15, 201016 yr comment_459586 It's crunching into 2nd and 3rd which makes me assume its a synchro problem Same with mine.... It wasn't so bad with the 4a-fe, but it really doesn't like changing at 8000rpm Yep, it's a synchro thing. I've heard that the gears are tough as anything as they are E series boxes - same series as celica and GZE powered corollas. I have also read that sloppy synchro is a fault with these boxes. I need to be really gentle on up-shifts and double clutch every down-shift unless my road speed is fairly low. I will be looking for a second hand box myself, and then rebuild my crunchy one. As for the price of a rebuild, I'm a bit scared to find out....... I shall watch this thread with interest...... Report
August 15, 201016 yr comment_459617 Never had any such problems with mine with a 20v beside it. For sale btw :P http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40690 Edited August 15, 201016 yr by Instigator Report
August 15, 201016 yr comment_459631 Never had any such problems with mine with a 20v beside it. For sale btw :P http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40690 Thanks instigator, I'm happy for ya.... Don't know if it's a design flaw or maybe the previous owners of mine and DKAE95's were smashing gears at any rpm with no thought of the poor little synchromesh working away. I'm not suggesting that my 20v broke the gearbox, it was sloppy before. I think I have a habit of not breaking gearboxes, and some of my friends think it's a wank to double-clutch on downshifts. My friend had a ST162 Celica which I think has an E series box and it had the same crunch...... is it a design flaw or weakness - early synchro failure? Report
August 15, 201016 yr comment_459727 My friend had a ST162 Celica which I think has an E series box and it had the same crunch...... is it a design flaw or weakness - early synchro failure? NA Celicas (except supposedly some of the last ST202s) have S-series boxes, not E-series. E-series (in various forms) came out in supercharged Corollas and MR2s (with the 4AGZE), turbo Celicas (ST165/185/205 with the AWD) and V6 Camrys. Report
August 19, 201016 yr comment_460737 OK, so the E-series should be pretty tough if it's only in the turbo & sc'd cars and it should be worth re-building. But what about the synchro problem? Like DKAE95 asked, what do you do when it goes all crunchy? replace it? Report
August 19, 201016 yr comment_460745 I have struck this problem before many times. If it's what i think it is, there are a couple of things you can try. It comes from the synchro cone polishing the synchro hub, then the cone can't grab the hub to mesh the gears. I've been told it's to do with the quality of the gear oil that causes this. You could try changing the oil, but i have found this to only last a week or 2 before the problem returns. The only other way is to strip the gearbox and sand blast the synchro hub surface, this puts a rough surface on the hub so the cone can grab it better. And while you have it apart change the cones. If you have ever heard of using valve grinding paste on the cones and the hubs, it's the same principle!! Report
November 20, 201015 yr comment_483433 Snds like TRD ke70 has the answer. I've had my AE95 for 4 years... it's got over 35K on it & never had the prob' you're talking about Report
November 25, 201015 yr comment_484352 Mine AE95 does it as well only from 2 to 3 not downshifting... If I'm am gentle its cool, but if i shift quick its ugly. I like idea of fixing the cones but i am either too lazy or still getting over pulling it apart in feb of this year. I'm running Nulon smooth shift gear oil in mine I'm going to check the oil levels to see if its right. Rod Report
February 16, 201115 yr comment_503623 I take it one has to lower the whole engine and gear box out, then remove the engine from gearbox in order to get to the synchro's :hmm: Big job Edited January 17, 201214 yr by JedzWagn Report
February 16, 201115 yr comment_503626 Will have to make sure I take note of the gearbox of the 95 I am looking at. Report
January 16, 201214 yr comment_578050 Thread revival - Will have to eat my words here. Well kind of.. I now own 3 of these wagons and the original one mentioned earlier still doesn't have this crunching synchro problem, but the most recent one did... Had a few more thousand km's on it. Couldn't handle shifting at high revs from 3rd to 4th or back down again.. ended up losing the whole clutch function in Thredbo of all places :bash: Limped it all the way back to Melbourne thanks to my credit card, old man's 4x4 and a trailer, now the synchro's work... but the clutch is slipping. Will eventually pull this motor and gearbox and fit a 4agze but currently working on a 7agze so... have to focus on one problem at a time. :rolls: Will post with photo's when I pull the mashed one ..hopefully get some feedback going and find some more answers.. TRD KE70 sounds like he might've been on to something. Found some interesting info here: http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/236060-toyota-gearbox-thread.html Edited January 17, 201214 yr by JedzWagn Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now