Failed: 48 In A 50 Zone

Chet

ok, here is the story, i was going for my final assessment drive for my learners, i was going down a quiet-ish street sitting at a comfortable 48km/h in a 50km/h zone, and this commonwhore started to speed up behind me and was tailgating me, -unintimidated by the driver behind i continued down the road then adjusted my speed to 25 as i was approaching a school zone, the driver turned off.

Towards the end of the lesson , i was thinking i did good when he asked me how i though i went, but he explained that i broke the law by holding up traffic, "i was going too slow". Infuriated i rebuted his opinion but he stood strong telling me that i should have sped up to eliminate the threat or proximity of the driver behind. confused i asked him if that would be breaking the law more-so because i would be exeeding the limit?.. he did not have an anwer. anway $100 dollars down for me, and $100 up i think he is just greedy for green. i am extreemely pissed off by this and this has pissed off all my friends and family. i am thinking of reporting him tomorrow. what are your views on this? was he in the right to fail me (this was the only "law" i 'broke') or was i in the right to dispute it?

thanks alot,

Chet

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be reporting him as you did the right thing.

I hate people on power trips that "think" they know what they are on about.

I would do the complaint in writing and demand a response, and either get a pass or a credit for your next test.

You must not have bribed the turd to pass you and he got angry and failed you. Next he will ask you to drift into turns and demonstrate your donut ability :D

errrm

whats the limit in school zones? 40?

you can be booked for holding up traffic if driving too far below the limit.

if you were doing 25 in a 40 thats 37.5% under the limit.

which is the equivalent of doing just over 60 in a 100 limit....

sorry to burst your bubble but when they fail you they usually have a reason, even if it is stupid and makes no sense

hey, i failed 3 times, twice i shouldnt have

I don't agree.

A school zone requires you to go 25 if children are present. If there were children present, then yes, he should've been doing 25.

If there weren't children present, he should've been doing whatever the speed limit was, which would have been 50 I gather.

Report him.

meh you may aswell report him, even if you have no luck. Atleast ask for a free test next time, worth a try. AnD In YOU NEXT TEST if you really paranoid bring a voice recorder :D , now When ever i get pulled over by cops i pull my phone out and press the voice recorder. Make sure they don't see you with the phone otherwise, they will try an book you for using a phone while driving. So if they try and cheecky shit (which some do), i will have somthing to back me up in court.

You never know, people may have reported him before, so another complaint might just get the ball rolling, for him to get the sack.

Edited by johnny

its 40 in a school zone... you did to much under

One thing us australians, ur, queenslands have to understand is that in austr.., ur, queensland is that a schoolzone is generally 20k's under the limit. Where as this is in adelaide so the road rules for school zones could pretty well be different. You could also say region to region. School zones on the sunshine coast are at most times 20k's under the limit between the times of 7:30am to 9:00am and then 3:30pm to 4:30pm whereas in toowoomba its 7:30am to 4:30pm.......

I'd rebuke the fail. Laying claims that you were driving to the conditions of the road (posted limits, etc), you also felt it was nessary to slow down a little due to the tailgater - better braking distance (longer available time to react, etc), throw a wobbly in by saying most cars from the manufacturers have incorrectly calibrated speedos and that you thought it would have been safer to drive at 48k's incase the speedo read slower then what the car was travelling at....

But when you go for the test again...... do it with some one else :D

Hey Chet,

firstly I'm gathering you are a young bloke just starting out,and the test dude is that old he should have given up this job years ago and thinks he knows it all.

I'm originally from adelaide (the southern suburbs) and from memory at school zone it is 25 kmh.tho in queensland its 40 kmh.

i can't for the life of me understand why he chose to use the argument of speeding up to avoid the tailgater (tailgating or following too close is illegal in the first place),so what he is saying is if every time someone is too close to your rear end speed up and i ask what happens if that tailgater speeds up behind you?

do you then speed up more(where would it end....in a dangerous situation is where).

in my mind he needs to be reported wether technically he is right or wrong because he sure is hell wrong in the eyes of the law if you speed up and do over the posted speed limit to get away from some one too close and get caught by the police.

good luck for next time,and for sure don't ever use or recommend that dude again

cheers

Teza.....age 41yrs

Dude.... regardless of your speed, the guy INSTRUCTED you too speed up when you're being tailgated... like its written in the rule book somewhere! I just rang up a mate of mine who is an instructor, and he assures me that in queensland at least, there is NO such rule requiring you to do that. Also, he informs me that most of the basic rules have been nationally standardised so unless the dude can find some CURRENT written evidence of the law existing you're well within your rights to dispute the fail.

Do it do it do it... rock the boat dude we get enough shit heaped on us AFTER we get our licences... don't let your spirit get crushed before you even taste the sweet freedom of the road.

Jesus that was rather vitriolic wasn't it....

Yeh the speed limit in Adelaide ar 25kmh school zones. It's bullshit that you should speed up when being tailgated, i do the opposite just to piss off the bastard tailgating me. I think i remember my driving instructor told me to tap the brakes when someone is tailgating you as it gets them to slow down behind you. We have cops treating us like shit we don't need the driving instructors joining in on the act. Definately report him an if they don't listen or nothing happens theres nothing a good egging won't fix. Good luck with your next test, you shoulda gone logbook :D

Cheers

Edited by Beau-Jangles