Opinions On A 2tg/3tc Hybrid?

Killswitch

Hey all, just curious as to what people think about these engines? I don't know a great lot about them, have searched a bit here and elsewhere but its a bit hard to search for them due to their title. They seem to be pretty popular with the celica crowd and can make around 160hp relatively easy (correct me if I'm wrong!) but less people have them in corollas. Is there a reason for this? Weight?

I'm considering putting one in my KE70 as things are available and relatively cheap...! But just thought I'd get some opinions on:

a) the 'hybrid' motor itself - how good is it etc

b) whether or not its suitable for a KE70

Personally I can't see why it wouldn't me a reasonable candidate, better than the 4K!

Anyway, any input appreciated :D

Cheers

Danno

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason you see them in celicas and not corollas is that its a straight drop in swap for a celica. For a corolla its an engine conversion so people usually go for a better base engine.

There is information out there. I did lots of research when I was considering doing one.

Nah didn't mean at the wheels meant at the flywheel, I'd love to be able to stretch the budget to attempt that :D

I'll search the old toymods forums for some further info, have serached the new-uns and turned some stuff up. Seem like pretty capable engines really, respond quite well to the usual, cam, carb, exhaust, compression mods.

The reason I'm contemplating this is I have access to a TE72 for SFA, and access to a 2TG head for what I consider a reasonable price (not sure if it is or not though?) Maybe a 4AGE is a better option but extra cubes and still DOHC, even if only 8 valve, has got to count for evening it up a little. Thought this would be worth considering as well.

Will go search a bit more and then get back here with some more specific questions about revs, carbs, cams, etc.

Anywho, cheers all! Please add anything more, even a general firsthand summary would be appreciated.

Thanks

My 2T-G which is reasonable, but not wild dyno'd up on a hard dyno at 109hp ATW. about 140 ish at the fly with a 30% reduction. I believe there is easily another 20 in it if we went looking. I know someone with 135hp ATW with a hybrid. That's about 165 fly, but it's also a torque monster. Anything is achieveable with the right knowhow and, of course, cash. :D

My 2T-G which is reasonable, but not wild dyno'd up on a hard dyno at 109hp ATW. about 140 ish at the fly with a 30% reduction. I believe there is easily another 20 in it if we went looking. I know someone with 135hp ATW with a hybrid. That's about 165 fly, but it's also a torque monster. Anything is achieveable with the right knowhow and, of course, cash. :S

That sounds pretty close to what I'd like to aim for, something thats torquey yet has some top end. That last bit has me a bit worriedthough , the 'cash' bit. I have the money, and I'm willing to do things right however if theres an equally safe but cheaper route I'll take it ;) . I fear to ask, but... how much has gone into yours to get that figure? Or the hybrid for that matter cause that's more relevant.

I was hoping to just strip the bottom end down, give it new rings and bearings and then just play with the head, cams, carbs etc a set of pistons might make this a bit more expensive excercise.

And on that note, what're the stock twin solex's like? (anyone, not specifically Redwarf)

Toymods appears to be down at the moment, all of today in fact... :D Shoulda saved those search results last week!

Cheers

Somewhere around here is an excellent article on building a hybrid, and exactly what you have to use. I'll have a better look for it later, as I'm a bit busy at the mo. :D

The engine in my 55 was built in Tassy, so I know bugger all about it. It's a bit Cammy, reasonable porting job and a pair or 40 DCOEs.

The engine for my 25 is really the unknown quantity. Basically it sounds angry. But that project is on the back burner for a bit.

Unfortunately most of my knowledge is in K motors, and I'm just getting the hang of Ts.

As for Solexs, if there isn't a distance record for throwing them, there should be. DCOE's and DHLA's are far better units.

R

you are talking about a 2t with 3t crank etc to make a 1.8? i have one, hasnt been put into car yet (no time and want to do brakes etc first) i bought mine built already, i just lucked out when i found this 2t that all the work was already done. I know what was been done to it but not the intricate details of how and costs. (waiting on reciepts, spelling?)

also is this the link you were talking about?

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Inform..._tech_notes.htm

Redwarf the 2t in your 25 has alot more work done i take it? i have heard of 2tg's that can make 160rwhp. lots of work and money tho

sorry wrong link, this was the one i was thinking of

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/4883/2tg-tune.html

Edited by Retrospekt

If I go ahead it will be a 3T-C block with a 2T-G head, not the 3T innards in the 2T block.

I've a question when it comes to this, will manifolds swap across between 3T and 2T heads? After some searching it appears exhaust will be intake won't, is this correct?

Retrospekt that geocities link is pretty ace! Summary of pretty much all requirements.

Any opinions on flycutting the toyota pistons versus spending large on aftermarket pistons?

So many thoughts, yet I don't want to ask all these stupid questions! :)

Unless i'm mistaken the extractors that got welded to the exhuast system in my old T-18 was used for both the 3t-c motor and 2t-g motor but for some reason the twin carby setup on the 2t-g wouldn't, for the life of me, fit to the 3t-c.

But anywhat something else to throw in the pot - 2t-g head, 3t block and 4y crank.