Setting Up The Diff In Hal

demuire

In my uber excitedness about getting this diff I thought I'd start a thread, sort of like a diary of the stuff I'm doing to the diff to get it setup for Hal...

Photos of diff and brakes

Here is a pic of the diff as a whole:

06260001-vi.jpg

And the brakes:

06270001-vi.jpg

First things first, will be stripping the diff to make sure it's the correct diff...

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the diff is completely stripped down now. One of the bolts broke, will have to borrow and easyout or something to get it out I think. Also one of the springs in the drum setup is broken, will have to source another spring. Will probably get new wheel bearings, rebuild calipers and get new pads and shoes, maybe new discs while I'm at it but not sure - will measure old discs and see how they are.

The old center must've been out of an auto RA28, it's a 3.9:1. Had a few broken bits in it :) Lots of shiny bits and chunky bits in the oil, mmm!

Doug: Was speaking to Peter Moll yesterday, he mentioned that he was at Lou's and there was a KE15 Sprinter with a TRD LSD in it (or maybe Lou mentioned it to Peter...), in the stock Corolla housing? Must be a REALLY old TRD LSD, I don't think they make them for Corollas anymore...

• 2 months later...

Diff is back, started to reassemble it last night:

PICT0690-vi.jpg

PICT0692-vi.jpg

Does anyone have access to a Bluebird TRX? Clever me forgot to take a photo of the drum brake setup before I took it apart, and now I can't remember how to put it back together... I know roughly how it goes together but can't remember which way the springs are meant to sit, and where the adjuster thing is supposed to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos:

PICT0743-vi.jpg

PICT0741-vi.jpg

Left on the todo list before next weekend (assuming everything goes well):

- put oil in diff

- connect up brake lines

- maybe make new brake lines, the current ones go rather close to the bumpstops, shouldn't hit but if they do it'll be a bad bad thing

- bleed brakes

- replace gearbox

- make plate to cover old shifter hole in transmission tunnel

- put new tailshaft in (when I get it back)

- install rear swaybar

And at some point in time...

- fabricate some sort of handbrake mechanism...

Edited by demuire

Heh... Have just thought about something - these brakes are going to be a cow to bleed. First the hydraulic handbrake, then the fact that the bleed nipple is well below the highest point in the line...

Haha, have also just realised that my rear brakes are now bigger than my fronts! Fronts are slotted vented 272mm, rears are solid 280mm! Makes me wonder... Will my rims still fit???

Edited by demuire