Dear Spelling Fairy

Dear Spelling Fairy,

It has come to my attention lately that you have been giving me a helping hand.

I think this is very generous, but there are a few things i would like to ask you.

When i add replays to various posts, i use slang. Here are some words i instead of the real thing...

ure - your

2 - two

by - buy

gimi - give me

hello - sup / hey / helo / gday

orig - original

saw - sore

tacko - tacho

betta - better

atleast - at least

etc.

I am now assuming you would like me to use no slang / chopped words, but instead the Real Mc-Coy. Now that i have 'ie spell', i check all my posts for mistakes. Lately, i have not changed the slang words, but the spelling fairy has.

Sorry if you (the spelling fairy) has had no sleep lately, but the user typing this will eventually learn :)

From

Teddy

p.s - and some times i just cannot spell a word for crap, so i use either ie spell, or i don't use that word at all ; if there is a mistake, well, sorry.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Teddy,

Okay, some of those I can understand like "ure" and "2" and "orig" and "betta" = "better" (and what's wrong with "hello"?). Those ones are fine, and the spelling fairy can leave alone...

But umm... "by" = "buy"? and "saw" = "sore"? Maybe I'm just an old maid, but that looks more to me like a spelling boo-boo than a slang...

abbreviations are ok when you're say, text messaging and have limited space, or on irc when you want to get a reply in fast, but when writing on internet forums it's generally considered good ettiquette to make your text as legible as possible, so other people don't get a massive headache when trying to read what you have to say

couldnt agree more jamie...

sometimes i have to read the post 2 or 3 times just to understand what they are trying to say......

its not like it takes a lot longer to type the whole word anyway...

we all sound like spelling nazi's......

hahaha......but as nick has said to me and everyone. its not just us that look at the forum, the general public also view this board.

which is a good reason to keep the slang and FULLY SICK wog interepretations out of here....unless of course it just needs to be said :)

we are educated people.....hehehe.....lets show the public that we can spell....