New Corolla/auris

ancullen

While browsing the TRD Japan site, I found an advertisement for their new Auris parts range - that is the vehicle that will be called Corolla upon release in Australia. It looks pretty cool, as you can see:

06-auris_f.jpg

As for model numbers, it turns out Japan get an NZ151 and ZR152. Then when I returned back to the TRD main page, there was another advertisement, this time for the TRD versions of the Corolla Axio and Corolla Fielder. The Axio is the sedan version of the new Corolla, and the Fielder is the wagon:

06corolla.jpg

The model numbers are NZE141 and NZE142.

The vehicle that really surprised me is the Blade. It's an Auris with different head and tail lights, as well as twin exhausts, as pictured below:

image_blade.jpg

The really interesting bit is the model number - AZE154. If I remember my Toyota coding properly (and I do), then AZ refers to the vehicle being powered by one of the AZ family of motors, which last time I checked only included the 2.0L 1AZ-FE, 2.4L 2AZ-FE, and 2.4L Atkinson-cycle 2AZ-FXE (only used in hybrids). And having now checked the Toyota Japan website, it turns out they're using the 2.4L 2AZ-FE. So the Blade should go alright, so at least it's got something going for it, cause it looks like shit. And for all you fellow code lovers, here's the model codes so far for the new Corollas (and all the other models):

NZE141 - Corolla Axio 2WD 1.5L

NZE141G - Corolla Fielder 2WD 1.5L

ZRE142 - Corolla Axio 2WD 1.8L

ZRE142G - Corolla Fielder 2WD 1.8L

NZE144 - Corolla Axio 4WD 1.5L

NZE144G - Corolla Fielder 4WD 1.5L

ZRE144 - Corolla Axio 4WD 1.8L

ZRE144G - Corolla Fielder 4WD 1.8L

NZE151H - Auris 2WD 1.5L

ZRE152H - Auris 2WD 1.8L

NZE154H - Auris 4WD 1.5L

ZRE154H - Auris 4WD 1.8L

AZE154H - Blade 4WD 2.4L

AZE156H - Blade 2WD 2.4L

I'm sure any of you that bothered to read through that will notice that Toyota have gone weird on their coding sequence. For instance the Corolla Axio & Fielder use different numbers to differentiate between engine capacity on the 2WD models, but for the 4WD variants the numbers stay the same even though the engine changes. Also, the letter at the end of the number sequence seems to differentiate betweent the Axio and Fielder variants, but the Auris and Blade use the same letter - although this makes sense as they use the same body. Finally, the Blade 4WD shares it's number with the Auris 4WD, but the 2WD goes for a higher number (156 versus 154). My theory for the reasoning behind this is there is meant to be a three door model in the near future. It would make sense if the three door 1.5L 2WD model was NZE150H, the 3DR 1.8L 2WD was ZRE153H, and the 3DR 2.4L 2WD was AZE155H - and any 4WD variants would be **E154H or **157H.

Finally, please remember that there will be plenty more model codes to come, as Toyota base certain Scion models on the Corolla/Auris platform, so numbers are similar. Also, there is meant to be a Corolla GT4 with a 2.5L turbo petrol motor coming along. Initially I thought it would use a turbo'd 2AZ-FE, then rumours came out that the ZR-series engine would have capacities of up to 3.0L, indicating something like a 4ZR-FTE. With the release of the Blade with a 2AZ-FE, I'm more inclined to think that the 3.0L ZR-series rumour is false, and we can expect the GT4 to have a 2AZ-FTE.

Members dont see this ad

EDIT: Just noticed that the Corolla Axio has very different rear doors to the Auris/Blade, and also has a very different A-pillar. The doors I'm willing to overlook, but the A-pillar being different is very odd, as most car companies only change the rear end between the hatch and sedan variants. It could be that Toyota did want to make the car look completely different, but my guess is that the 'new' Corolla Axio/Fielder is actually just a slight restyle of the current version (ZZE124).

And I was just looking at the picture and noticed that the Axio/Fielder has four stud wheels, while the Auris/Blade has gone to five studs. I'd bet copious amounts of money on the Axio/Fielder being a re-engined, restyled version of the current model.

Shit, looks like you've put a bit of research into that mate! :) Love the look of the Auris (first pic), don't mind the axio, but not a huge fan of the blade! :D Though, the blade should go alright like ya said, using the 2.4L & 4wd! Would love to see a corolla GT4 come out though! i owned one of the last turbo corollas (AE112R sportivos), and that was sweet, but could've done with 4wd! Hmmmmmm :D

It'd be nice to get a Blade and swap an Auris front clip onto it. Leave the rear lights as they're kinda cool and different. I don't know how tough the 4WD system is (not that we'll find out over here), but we could test it with a nice GT28 hanging off the motor.