Sam_Q

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jib: It's hard to say how long it took, I planned out the driveline a year ago and bought my 2 bikes then. I also chopped up one of the frames and welded in a cro-mo pipe in the rear fork section. But the progress in the pics is about 6 working days worth. For me this is unusually quick, I am usually a very slow working but I did heaps of progress every day. I have many more days yet worth of work in it yet.

Dan: yes I have always prefered a scooter over a pocketbike, no vibrations going into strange places, good control, excellent over bumps, I can bunny hop!!, easy to bail from, you don't look weird using one (well maybe a little less!) and easier to work on. I used my pocketbikes and they were ok but I still thought they felt awkward to use and a big one; my frame won't suddenly rip in half with a small amount of load. I want to weigh it soon and see how it compared to a pocketbike also.

• 2 weeks later...

054.jpg

The section of the pipe I never liked, I thought this would be bad for it so I wanted to replace it.

055.jpg

So I started to make up a new expansion section.

056.jpg

Lining it up.

057.jpg

One end welded in and marking out where to cut.

058.jpg

The nasty step in the old pipe that I thought wasn't helping.

059.jpg

All welded up.

060.jpg

Bolted on and painted.

061.jpg

How it is now.

Edited by Sam_Q

looks like I am going to sell off all my old cag engine parts and not use them ever again, because I have this.....

062.jpg

a F1 Balata rep 40cc engine thats rated at 7hp standard. I also got a rep 19mm Dell'orto carb (original 14mm), different pipe and 2 x tripple stage reeds. It should tottaly haul arse

the engine mount was no good to me in that position so I wanted to see if I could reverse it so it faced down. I took the head off and while I was at it I took the bore off to see how it was made and why it made so much power.

Heres with the head off and the piston at BDC:

063.jpg

the ports are absolutley huge in this thing, the exhaust ports take up like 1/3 of the whole diameter and there are 4 transfer ports and 1 boost port.

Heres another pic of the bore with the barrel removed:

064.jpg

and of the V stack reed system, its very large, very close ot the piston and most suprisingly it has had some aditional hand porting beween the intake and the transfer ports. I have never seen such quality in a 2 stroke and it came out of China which is downright scary.

065.jpg

and yes I did manage to reverse the head. I have designed most of the new frame and I will have to do some major chopping to make it fit. I hope to do it this weekend.

yeah people have thought about that before but the problem is the ratio, I right now have a 6 tooth front sprocket and a 68 at the rear, you just can't have that sort of gearing with a belt, besides you lose more power. I didnt believe it at first but i have seen the graph of losses.

I managed to do a real good days work, which I was quite happy with seeing that day was meant of been 38 degrees.

Heres what I started with, engine out, top support bracket bent up:

066.jpg

067.jpg

With the top part chopped off, it wasnt easy doing this when it was so hard to line up and worked so well.

I made up a U shape out of cro-mo steel and I wanted to max out my clearences. So I decided to keep grinding it down till it only just cleared the wheel, heres how it looked when it was the right height and dead level:

068.jpg

069.jpg

New section tack welded in and looking good

070.jpg

Engine roughly in place without thrid bearing sprocket support, notice the curved rear pipe that I used to clear the wheel and have the side supports lower.

071.jpg

072.jpg

ends of the bars shortened and chopped vertical, new U suport welded in for the front engine mount (also Cro-Mo steel), chain in place for basic alinment checks and also some of the pipe ground down on both sides to lower the engine even further.

073.jpg

Front engine mounts in but not welded so I can get the alingment right. I later used some spacers at the front to get the heights right.

074.jpg

075.jpg

Front section welded on properly (so to speak),front mounts tack welded on and one of the two rear engine mounts welded in.

Thats all I have done right now and I will need to grind more of the pipe away to clear the engine and then weld a plate in to cover the hole. The other rear mount needs to be made but that should be real easy now the alinment is all good (I think!!!)

it looks like I will be temporarily be using the pipe in the stock position and mount the fuel tank off the side, I do plan on modifying it the same as my last pipe but I want it to just run first and then maybe experiment with pipe mods before reshaping it into an elaborate shape to suit the frame.

I also plan to make my own stainless steel fuel tank, should look and work great.