Early Model Corrolla Brake Upgrades

YKE 20T

This is probably nowhere near as sophisticated as what others are talking about, but in my case I have merely used the front discs from a 72 to replace the front drums on my 69. Bolts right into place and lets you stop even in the rain, lol. Getting pretty hard to find pads for it on this side of the water though.

Members dont see this ad

I have started to convert to magna discs on KE30 hubs for a KE2X. I have mounted the discs, just have to machine the front part of the hub and make a couple of rings for the centre of the disc and for the wheel mounting spigot. For calipers I am going to try and use VR or VS Commodore calipers.

This will give me a 266 x 24mm disc and fairly big calipers, leave the standard struts in place and change the stud pattern to 4 x 114.3.

So far so good, my only concern is clearance between the back face of the wheel and the caliper.

Cheers, Ian

Ok I'v been chasing some parts for the front suspension/brake up grade for my KE70.

Have read through some tech but some of the details are a bit sketchy.

What I'm after is:

Year modle of the Corona XT130 for the struts?

Year modle of the Hilux for the LN106 calipers? 2wd or4wd?

Year modle of the Mitsubish Starion for the master cylinder? and

can that be substuited for one from a R32 GTST Skyline NON ABS?

Do i need different LCA's if so what from?

Just want to make sure i get the right partsfrom the right car

Also has any one had trouble getting the struts? I sent an email to a wreckers and they said they could not sell them to me if they are going to be used for a conversion? This dude must be telepathic cause i only asked for a price that's it. But he did say to give him a ring

Cheers Dan

My brother had custom brackets made up to fit vr commodore brakes, he also had commodore disk machined to make corolla bearing fit in them(they had to insert sleaves to make the bearings fit). the machining of the disks wasnt that cheap , about 500, but there was quite abit of trial and error to make the bearings fit properly. All looks good now. The brakes are huge for the car but he does have a sr20 in his, and like someone said earlier there is now such thing as overkill on brakes

• 1 month later...
Brakes are about the most important thing on the car as far as safety goes, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as overkill on brakes. I'd rather spend thousands on brakes and KNOW that my car will pull up, than be a tight ass and hope for the best as I come screaming into a corner

Hi all,

i used RA60 celica struts and brakes on my KE30, they fit easy but you have to use celica steeing arm on corolla control arm so that its a bolt on fit. The problem then is positive camber . i actually got the standard ke30 steering arms illongated 3mm by an engineer so that when all bolted up i now have negetive camber. bolt hole spacing on ke30 and RA60 steering arms are 3mm out. my ke30 stops well considering they are 255mm rotors but have large single piston caliper. ive got an fj20 turbo motor making around 300hp ( wheels ) and it stops well.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

i used RA60 celica struts and brakes on my KE30, they fit easy but you have to use celica steeing arm on corolla control arm so that its a bolt on fit. The problem then is positive camber . i actually got the standard ke30 steering arms illongated 3mm by an engineer so that when all bolted up i now have negetive camber. bolt hole spacing on ke30 and RA60 steering arms are 3mm out. my ke30 stops well considering they are 255mm rotors but have large single piston caliper. ive got an fj20 turbo motor making around 300hp ( wheels ) and it stops well.

RA60 celica brakes on to KE30 . Corolla steering arm bolt holes are 3mm in compared to celica, i got an engineer to put some sleeves in 3mm out or you can use celica steering arm for bolt on fit, only problem is positive camber.

post-3596-1181311895_thumb.jpg

post-3596-1181312030_thumb.jpg

post-3596-1181312142_thumb.jpg

post-3596-1181312492_thumb.jpg