Kexx Gearbox Extention Housings

Raven

Well, story goes as most of you know, a "so-called" family friend decided to scrap my good gearbox (without telling me) and make some $$$ off of it (though he says it was stolen) and now I was left with the task of finding myself another gearbox.

So, I now have myself a gearbox. Its a KE70 K40 but I don't want to cut a new shifter hole in my KE36 panel van.

So my question to all you experts out there, can I put a KE30/55 K40 gearbox extension housing on my KE70 gearbox or will I be required to get a whole KE30/55 K40 box?

My main concern is that the shifter linkages wont line-up which I was told by a wrecker friend of mine as he seems to think that they wont line-up.

If someone can give me some accurate information about this little dilemma of mine, I will kindly spend some time to add it to the FAQ.

Cheers in advance.

Raven

Edited by Raven

Members dont see this ad
Well, story goes as most of you know, a "so-called" family friend decided to scrap my good gearbox (without telling me) and make some $$$ off of it (though he says it was stolen) and now I was left with the task of finding myself another gearbox.

So, I now have myself a gearbox. Its a KE70 K40 but I don't want to cut a new shifter hole in my KE36 panel van.

So my question to all you experts out there, can I put a KE30/55 K40 gearbox extension housing on my KE70 gearbox or will I be required to get a whole KE30/55 K40 box?

My main concern is that the shifter linkages wont line-up which I was told by a wrecker friend of mine as he seems to think that they wont line-up.

If someone can give me some accurate information about this little dilemma of mine, I will kindly spend some time to add it to the FAQ.

Cheers in advance.

Raven

As far as i am aware if you change the ext housing to one that has a different shifter location then NO the linkages will not line up.

Hey Raven, PM ke30chris.

I sold him a ke55 extension housing about 6 months ago to do this very thing. He was tols it is possible.

I don't know wheather he had any luck with it, so give him a yell and find out. He may be able to tell you mods that need to be done to make it work. :D

I "think" the ke10 and later 20/30 boxes can interchange the extension housings from what Stewart Ford said on the oldcorollas group. Not sure about the 70 boxes. Think the later 70 boxes have a different bolt pattern or the shift rods sit at a different height or something?

Been a few years since I looked at them side by side. I do have a ke10 4sp box, 3 ke30 4sp boxes and a ke70 5speed, but they are all sitting in a trailer at my parents place. If I go out there this weekend I might have a look if I remember.

Probably the best thing would be to search the oldcorollas group for Stewarts postings on extension housings.

Edited by Felix

After an argument with Stewart Ford about putting my KE55 5 speed extension housing on a KE70 5 speed and putting it into my KE35, I went outside and swapped them, put the KE70 box with KE55 extension housing in my coupe and went for a drive. Then came inside and told him that it worked fine.

If I was you, I would try and change the extension housing and see for yourself if it works. I KNOW that it works with the 5 speeds, so maybe it will work with the 4 speeds

After an argument with Stewart Ford about putting my KE55 5 speed extension housing on a KE70 5 speed and putting it into my KE35, I went outside and swapped them, put the KE70 box with KE55 extension housing in my coupe and went for a drive. Then came inside and told him that it worked fine.

If I was you, I would try and change the extension housing and see for yourself if it works. I KNOW that it works with the 5 speeds, so maybe it will work with the 4 speeds

But isn't the only difference there the ext housing length and not the shifter position.

But isn't the only difference there the ext housing length and not the shifter position.

nope, sorry, the extension housings are both the same length and yes the shifter position is different between the 55 5speed and 70 5speed housings, the 55 shifter position is "so to speak" more foward towards the bell housing opposed to the 70. i too have done this before but only with the 5 speed box.