Vent Issues

Hi,

A few small bits need assembling on my KE15 sprinter and I am jsut looking for advice.

The rear drivers side vent on my sprinter was removed when car was repainted and now needs reinstalling. The back of the vent pictured below has 3 pins in the corners (see photo below):

post-1811-1176617382_thumb.jpg

Now the holes in the car look like this:

post-1811-1176617674_thumb.jpg

So I am wondering HOW do I stick this in. As in factory how did they do it as the top holes are a lot bigger than the pins but the bottom hole has like a rubber goo in it that makes the fit tight so just curious how people have put these in?

Also the pins on the back of the grill are similar to the ones on the back of badges so it might be a similar way to fixing the grill in place to installing a badge?

Also the front of the grill some of its black paint has come off. What do people think would be the best way to go abotu repainting this item as the chrome is still good.

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

I'm not sure how helpful this info will be, but most external garnishes and badges I've seen have little nylon plugs on the pins... they're like a one-way bung with tiny slanted prongs which slide in ok then pop out once they're in place to hold the garnish on...

Failing that, a drop of good ol' sikaflex works a treat :y: I've yet to have any sikaflexed bits fall off.

Cameron I think you are missing some clips.

The one on mine was siliconed in place, also I drilled a hole and added a self tapping screw so I wouldn't lose it. As you may realise, they are extremely difficult to come by if it happened to fall off.

thanks for those fast reply''s.

As upon further inspection one of the pins on the grill (closest in photo. rear pin is missing clip) have one of those locking things see pic below:

post-1811-1176639284_thumb.jpg

But the metal clip has rusted up. So looks like i need a heap of these. Does anyone know where i can obtain some of these locking devices in Ipswich?

Or further a field? As they look to be a rare item them self the clip.

But I also had an idea to further secure the vent ill replace the standard rubber seal with double sided foam tape seal it and stick it and locking pins and I'm right id think.

Cheers

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88