Striped Interior Ae71

Emerson

I am about to start striping the interior of my AE71 and was wondering according to the law how much interior trim can be taken out before the car is deemed illegal or unsafe. I will probably be taking out the rear seats, centre console and all interior carpet.

Members dont see this ad

To remove the rear seats you need a mod plate, if you can see the inside of the doors expect a defect, If you remove the carpet wires must be covered by other means, Sound deadening can be removed but normal driving becomes a ear ache.

Haha, that's pretty harsh, but I do agree to a certain extent. To me, *E7*'s look best when they're granny spec and still have all the standard stuff in the interior - so it looks stock. Maybe i'm just a massive fan of the sleeper look, but yeah, I prefer it not stripped...

---dens

If you must know the reason I am striping out the interior is quite simple, The Power to Weight Ratio. because i am on my P's and am allowed no engine mods the only other alternative to make my car more lively is to make it lighter. Following this I plan to install disc brakes all round and fit D2 coilovers. :S ANd by the way I don't want a "granny spec car" deNs!

Edited by Emerson

is it going to make much difference? and if you want a little rocket ship why not find something else to spend the money on like a ae82 twincam or something that comes stock with some power? I'm not having a go, just asking

Edited by smacko84

I have seen big inprovements in other striped cars and i don't want a rocket ship just a car that goes a bit harder than mine does at the moment. in reply to those people that think I should save my money and buy a better car later on I had the money and the opportunity to buy a "better car" when I bought my rolla and if i wanted a different car i would have bought a different car. This is the car I want!!! sure it might not be the fastest or the best looking but its MINE and I like it!!!

understandable, so whats the plan for the car? an engine conversion later on? i wanted mine to be a bit punchier also but funds are/were low and i have bigger and better plans than my little rolla, as it is only my daily/ A to B car.

What i did and i noticed the difference, a mate was wrecking his ae82 which had an auto 4AC, so i ripped it out and my engine and changed over most of the stuff from mine like the carby, water pump, starter and all that sorta stuff and put it on the ae82 4AC and i did all the gaskets and seals, then we put it back in. As it was an auto and a granny car it hadnt been thrashed and had half the k's on it, not a huge power increase or whatever but its now more reliable and i can feel the difference. It took the weekend and a little help from the old man and my mate but for about $250 it was worth it i think. Now i know i can push it a bit more when driving it.

just thought i'd share what i did...

You would probably save more weight by leaving the spare at home. What is weight of the car? The interior bits might save 25 kilo. Run it near empty and bump the tyres up to 34 psi.

But i reckon you might be wasting your time and effort mate as to make the weight loss worthwhile the car will get defected. If the compliance plate says five seats, the cops expect seating and seatbelts for five. And don't say they wont pic you , those P plates are a magnet to cops eyes. Especially if you are "going a little harder".

Not having a go but learn to drive in a granny car, then let loose in something that is capable of doing what you want to try. Rollas are great beasts, but they are not speed demons and the handling can be suss. Cheap to run, cheap to insure, reliable, and a shitload of parts around.

Smelly

because i am on my P's and am allowed no engine mods

I was under this impression too for a while. But my mate has a heavily modified datsun 1200 coupe race car and it is road registered. He is also on his P's but is too lazy to get the exemption. He was talking to a highway patrol officer and my mate asked the question about driving his car around. The copper said that it is ok to drive with all the engine mods as long as he carries the papers around stating the modifications and that it is non turbo etc.

This is in NSW and i would definately trust my mate about this as he has been driving his car on the road (not as a daily driver as his parents wouldnt allow it). Best thing to do if you know one, Talk to a copper and ask about it.

Hope This Helps

Jake

D2 = Rubbish, End of story. Same with G3. Not from my own experiance but ive seen way to many pictures of D2/G3 gear folding under and snapping inserts cleanly in half to even try them.

Edited by AE70

Well it all depends on the thickness of the stripes, and what colour they are.

lol.. i don't know if you were being sarcastic because emerson

didnt spell stripping right, or just misinterpreted it.