Tamika The Celica

ancullen

Here's my new ride I'll be picking up this Sunday. It's a 1974 TA22 Celica. It has a 13T motor, which is essentially just a redesignated 3T with slightly lower compression (apparently out of a Toyota commercial vehicle of some kind).

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

It's got a 13T motor, which is essentially just a redesignated 3T with slightly lower compression (apparently out of a Toyota commercial vehicle of some kind). This means it's got 85mm bore, 78mm stroke, 1770cc capacity, single cam, 2-valves & pushrods. However, I went and picked this up last night:

post-397-1182296232_thumb.jpg

post-397-1182296237_thumb.jpg

post-397-1182296241_thumb.jpg

It's a 2T-GEU head (if you couldn't tell from the sticker on the front). This will be bolted onto the 13T bottom, with higher compression, bigger bore pistons (about 88mm instead of 85mm), giving me a twincam engine with 1897cc. With bigger cams & valves, extractors and exhaust I'm hoping to get it close to 200hp at the engine, or roughly 110kW at the wheels. It would be plenty of grunt for this car, as it's not intended to be super quick, but just a nicely modified street classic.

It will also get some nice rims (probably 15x7's, possibly as big as 15x8's), a completely new paint job, and various other modifications. Hopefully this vehicle will be ready for the 2008 Rejex Rally, held on the first weekend in August, which means there'll need to be a lot of work over the next twelve months. So please visit this page a lot and check for updates, because if I know a lot of people are interested, I'll be keener to get the car finished. As a result of getting this vehicle, my AE71 project won't be started until this one is finished, so I'll just stick to enjoying the KE55 for racing. :jamie:

Edited by ancullen

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this car also comes with a bolt-in alloy cage, which isn't fitted at the moment, but apparently bolts onto standard mounting points. There will also be HEAPS of spares coming with the car, and the current owner (until Sunday) has another TA22 for parts and another that he's building into a race car.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I've bid on twin Solex carbs & a standard Toyota 2T-G manifold to suit the twin-cam head. Whilst a few people have poo-pooed Solex carbs, they will do the trick until I can afford Dellortos or Webers, and either of those carbs will bolt onto the standard manifold anyway.

Damn, I just found this: 2T-GEU EFI Setup on eBay. I'm almost tempted, but would prefer carbs. The only thing that's annoying me is that it's only a bit more expensive than the carb setup I'm buying. But then again, if I want to put wilder cams in the engine I'd have to change ECU's, and I don't really want to do that. Carbs FTW!

Have just been outbid on the twin Solex setup. I'm trying to decide if it's worth bidding more and paying up to $400 for that setup, or paying $350 for a standard 2T-GEU EFI setup. EFI is apparently better (more reliable, more power potential), but if I want to modify the engine at all I'd have to buy a programmable ECU and bigger injectors. With carbies I can change the jets in the Solex's, or spend the money (less than a programmable ECU) on brand new Webers.

Standard EFI setup + Microtech + injectors = about $2,300-2,500

Standard Solex intake manifold (with 40mm Solex's) + Webers = $1,600-1,700

Looking at it like this I think I'll just have to bid more for the Solex's.

There ya go, i knew the engine i had out the back was around 1800cc.....lol...

I have a 13T out the back in the shed.....i've had thoughts about putting it in the ke55 but they are a bloody heavy engine, and i'd only be picking up an extra 250cc and crossflow head.......meh too much effort involved. :jamie:

I agree. The 2T-G head is HUGE, and quite heavy. Apparently a 4A-GE is 23kg lighter than a 2T-G, but with the added benefit of two extra valves. And Toyota didn't even worry about going to an alloy block for the 4A-GE as it wouldn't have saved enough weight to warrant the extra expense and inherent weakness (suck on that Honda B-series owners :jamie: ).

Nice Celica I just looked at the efi you were looking at to buy and it has ended someone used buy it now and its gone just incase you hadnt seen that. But nice celica will it be a rcaecar because that would look awesome flying around hidden valley :jamie:

The Celica won't be a race car, just a nicely tuned classic street car. As for the EFI setup, I'm not worried. I think I'd be better off buying a brand new intake manifold and some good second-hand Dellortos or Webers. I have placed a higher bid on the Solex's, but won't be bidding again.

This one won't be staying white. It has bog in the roof and the driver's side guard, so we'll be welding metal in there and painting the whole car (including engine bay, interior, etc). I like the idea of a metallic blue or blue-green (like one of the colours available on the Mazda6), but Alisson likes black, which would be sweet with all the chrome bits.

personally i think that 2tg's are over rated, the same performance can come from a good ported 2tc, especially if it has been ported correctly.

if your after a side draft manifold for a 2tg you can have for $80 plus shipping in good nick, and un modified

personally i think that 2tg's are over rated, the same performance can come from a good ported 2tc, especially if it has been ported correctly.

if your after a side draft manifold for a 2tg you can have for $80 plus shipping in good nick, and un modified

I've won the twin Solex's (BUGGER), but thanks for the offer.