Tally

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... What can I say? Cars... You hope for the best but they end up biting you in the ass... lol

Yesterday...

I just put the spring on the gearbox and adjusted the accelerator cable. It was getting lodged in the hose thingy that goes from the rocker cover to the carby.

So I moved the hose back and put a hose clamp on it. All better.

Now the pedal doesn’t get stuck and the engine won’t rev by itself.

Did a few other things as well, but I forgot lol.

Today....

Got to my uncles place at about 11:30.Got to work right away.

Well there really wasn’t much left to do actually. I just jacked the car up and tried to put the exhaust on as best as I could.

Then it was time. Time to grab the battery and crank it over.

I said lets do it. So we grabbed it and hooked it up!

We chucked in some water to fill the radiator up and double checked everything.

1. 2... And it started!!!!! Big Grin on my face you could imagine!!! :lolcry:

VIDEO:

post-1732-1195384836_thumb.jpgpost-1732-1195384925_thumb.jpg

But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The engine was leaking!!! Leaking water!!!!!! I was like "Oh No!!!"

There was water coming out of the exhaust flange. 1.

I didn’t hook it up tightly as it was hard to get in there with a ratchet, even with an extension.

My uncle is a Panel Beater so he doesn’t have much experience with engines.

I guess he is learning at about the same pace as I am.

My dad knows a fair bit though, but he’s too busy.

So I asked my uncle, "That can’t be good! What’s wrong?" He said, "Tell me and we will both know!"

He didn’t have a clue either.

But we both suspected it to be a blown head gasket after we checked the dip-stick.

The water was mixing with the oil!!! arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what I need!!!

The timing is way out as well!!! The engine would not idle!!! My other uncle had to keep his foot on the accelerator. It idled with the choke way out but still.

So went up to our mates place and told him about it and he said yea blown head gasket. Peace of cake to change.

My uncle first said to me to get it done by a workshop.

But I disagreed as I don’t want to spend heaps of money on this engine as:

1. Its crap

2. Its temporary

3. They are so easy to work on.

4. People on rollaclub rebuild them themselves!!! In their backyards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that’s were I stand now....

At least it’s coming together any way...

I suspected that it had a blown head gasket as the car the engine came from was overheating wildly when she dropped it off to our place...

Had no coolant in it what so ever. So I hope the rings are still ok...

Anyways guys, going to get a head gasket and some sealant this week so should be ok.

If anyone n Adelaide can lend a hand please give me a buzz on 0421758655

VIDEO:

Cheers

Tally

Don't need sealant dude. They're a mono-torque gasket. Get yourself a decent torque wrench if you don't already have one, because you're gonna need it.

1. Its as easy as undoing the inlet/exhaust manifold and pulling it away from the motor.

2. Undo Rocker cover.

3. Remove rocker gear.

3. poke 8 holes in a piece of cardboard and label the pushrods 1-8 from front to rear so you don't get them mixed up.

4. undo the head bolts in sequence. the sequence to tighten them up is on the back of the cardboard that comes with your head gasket.

5. remove the dizzy. near the dizzy, there should be a slot to stick a screwdriver in to lightly tap and seperate the head from the block.

6. clean head and block with a scraper, be careful to cut into any surface areas (can also clean the top of the pistons this way).

Installation reverse of removal procedure. Except you then have to adjust the valve clearance. You can do this with a cold motor, but its preferably to do it while the motor is hot.

Timing can be adjusted by sticking a screwdriver in the oil pump hole and turning the oil pump to get the key way in the right position.

I think thats is. If I've missed anything, someone point it out.

Oh, while you're at it, replace the rocker cover gasket and always use a new inlet/exhaust manifold gasket. If you want a gasket that sits between the inlet and exhaust manifold, you'll have to get that from Toyota.

Good luck!

Edited by Raven

Thanks Raven for the fast reply!!! ok I'm not sure about the sealant. My mate said its the type of stuff that makes it easy to take off if I ever need to check something inside the head. Starts with a P.

Thanks for the info man will do!!!

Cheers

Tally

Possible, but its not very often that the heads crack on these motors though but if it got hot enough then it could've cracked it.

If I'd had the motor out of the 25 already, I would offer you the head for $25, but it isnt out yet and I gotta by an engine crane next month.

and while your doing that, get it cracked tested. Its worth it, because if it is cracked you will have to remove it again, which is gonna be a bummer.

You can spray head gaskets with Hylomar, a sticky semi dried sealant, which fills in minute inconsistencies in the gasket and head surface. Doesnt harm either surface, consider it a bit of insurance, if you're really pedantic

For the tappet adjustment - Feeler gauges, 10mm spanner, flatblade screwdriver

TDC = Top Dead Centre. That means piston one on compression stroke with the crank pulley on the ) mark against the timing cover marks for the timing.

Edited by Raven

well went and got a new headgasket and manifold gasket during the week.

more problems....

Just going to cut a long story short and let the pics do some of the talking.

Undid rocker

post-1732-1195904869_thumb.jpg

Undid rocker arms and shaft. Took out pushrods.

post-1732-1195904911_thumb.jpg

Undid manifold:

post-1732-1195904974_thumb.jpg

Took off head:

post-1732-1195905026_thumb.jpg

The gasket was rooted but the head was also.

In the cylinder closest to the front, the water way had corrded right next to the cylinder. I think that was the casue. Ill let you guys decide as I have no idea if its ok or not. Look bad to me but.

post-1732-1195905148_thumb.jpg post-1732-1195905183_thumb.jpg

post-1732-1195905219_thumb.jpg post-1732-1195905244_thumb.jpg

post-1732-1195905289_thumb.jpg post-1732-1195905334_thumb.jpg

Took the head off the old engine but taht one was so far goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 17 years of sitting sure does a lot of damage.. sorri don't have a pic but it was all rusted and corroded. and the top of the pistons were covered in ash.

So looks like I'm up for a new head. Will put a ad up in the parts trader.

Cheers guys :P

Tally

Looks like I'm up for a new head.