Philbeys Ke16 2 Door Wagon.

philbey

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, I'm going to call you right now, after I write this post! My KE10 starter fitted under my headers so I forgot all about it. Solenoid is close though and will probably get fried, so yeh, I'm keen. Plus that strommy is rattling around in my car and pissing me off! haha.

Here's 2 pics from a few weeks back, motor is actually in now. Do I look excited haha.

post-2873-1231568128_thumb.jpg

post-2873-1231568180_thumb.jpg

Those pics are a tad old. Motor is in the car now. Went in easy enough.

I painted the rocker, same blue as the block. Lovely. Scratched the crap out of it getting the throttle cables sorted though.... Repaint time!

Cables worked perfectly, the idle screw setup is a bit dodgy but will suffice.

BUT - I had the worst thing ever happened. Took the dizzy off, dropped the screw, heard a clang of it falling on sheetmetal.... Hmm. Did it land on the crossmember? No. Did it land on the car stand base?.... Still no..... Sounded like thin sheet metal....... hmmm. Like the same gauge sheet they make sumps out of!

Damn thing went straight down the dizzy hole and past the drive gear and landed in the bloody sump. Didnt actually take long to pull it off, just jack the engine up.

I ripped out my baffle as well, one of the silver solder joints cracked off, and I decided I don't like the design. When I get a Mig welder, I'll try a different design with a vertical baffle on the spare sump I've got.

Also tried mounting my Fuel Reg, pain in the arse. I think I'll just zip tie it in to get a test fire happening!

Pic with the motor in, went to my mate Jimmy's and got myself a nice correct size pulley. Lovely..... Also scored a clutch cable and another window seal to replace my crappy aftermarket one that just wont sit right.

The sandwich plate between the box was off my Auto 3K, so I had to drill a clutch hole In Situ.... Damn.

Pic of the extractors over the cross member as well. Beautiful fit. These HM's are a treat.

post-2873-1231798715_thumb.jpg

post-2873-1231798731_thumb.jpg

gotta love all the little dramas that go along with swapping K motors.

its a beautiful thing.

this lil bad boy is gona haul ass once its on the road again.

I'm about to start building a 4k for my wags.

nothing special, just something with abit more play than the ol' leaky/rattley 3k.

keep the picks coming.

cheers, scott

Yeh the drama wouldn't be so prevalent if I had just straight swapped a running motor! Or if I were able to just cut corners and do things dodgy, I'd be done by now too.

I made sure I did everything on the build properly, the next motor I want to dabble with is a Porsche 3 Litre so I want to get some practise first!

Plus I came off night shift on thursday night, had 3 hours sleep, got on a plane home and worked on the car.... Brain Fade.

More pics soon.

So I juiced it up and connected the battery terminals and let out the smoke! Alternator wire had split slightly and earthed on the crossmember. See pic.

Fixed that and had issues getting low voltage to the starter. After rooting around for a while I realised it was the Kill switch from the old automatic shifter... :yak:

The car is cranking fine now... with the plugs out (Read This). Only just turns over with the plugs in though!

For interest, I stuck a comp tester on it, looking at around 200psi, although I don't have much faith in Dad's calibrated instruments. I'll chase a 5k reduction starter this week, buy one brand new if I have to and jam that in. Just want to hear it fire up!

post-2873-1232239032_thumb.jpg

Edited by philbey

Found other pics on the camera.

This is my "just get it started" setup. Note the fuel pressure regulator zip tied to a rad hose, thats temporary until I get time to make a little bracket for it. Just going to mount on the front of the manifold. Very little room around the place.

Tach is wired onto the scuttle as well so I can set idle's and so on without jumping in and out of the cockpit.

The whole engine bay looks filthy but I can't be bothered painting it all up. The motor is a bit of a diamond in the rough, especially when I get the high gloss blue rocker cover on there as well! I just whacked a crappy one on there because I've already had to repaint the good one after I scratched it up getting throttle cables sorted....

post-2873-1232241592_thumb.jpg

Sounds almost like an exact replica of the dramas that happened to mine! Starter died, new starter went in then a wire shorted and sent the rest up in smoke. If anything else follows suit, make sure you have a spare welsh plug on hand once it is running :yak:

Hopefully she'll be up and running without any other dramas once the new starter arrives. Be good to see some videos of it driving :y:

Looks good :loo:

-Alex

Speaking of running, it IS!

No new starter, I got a couple of new terminals for the battery, stripped back to some clean copper, cleaned up the posts and BANG she started firing first crank! I had to give it a couple of pumps on the throttle and it just fired right up!!!@#!@#!@ Yeah!

Ryan, that starter is a goer, hope that stromberg does well for you.

Mucked with the timing, seems to run nice on about 15 deg. Any less and it wasn't revving nicely. Got my tacho wired up, can't seem to get the idle lower than about 2000 revs. I haven't done any initial setup on the Dells yet, that's probably while its high.

It's dieselling hard on shutdown, probably timing not 100%. Also, no heat shield between the carbs and headers, and the fuel reg is on top of the thermostat! Fix that next and I need to get a fan, that should solve that.

Next step though, I'll take it for a few laps on the street to break the motor in and bed the rings. I fly to work tomorrow for 10 days though, I'm going to have bad withdrawals.

Also I reckon I might run twin 8 inch thermofans on the front, should fit perfectly.

...make sure you have a spare welsh plug on hand once it is running :yak:

AHhh don't say that damnit! haha.

howley snap 200psi :loo: thats like 12 or 13:1?? like to hear this thing when its running :y:

My calcs came up with over 12:1 but when I gave all the measurements to the engine builder his program came back with about 11.5:1. Yeh it's pretty high, but I'll run premium. I have a bit of overlap on the cam too, so that drops comp.

I don't think there is a simple direct relationship between Comp value and Cylinder pressure, duration will change cylinder pressure etc. Some factory stuff is about that, I think my 911 3.0 litre is about the same value.

Next step though, I'll take it for a few laps on the street to break the motor in and bed the rings. I fly to work tomorrow for 10 days though, I'm going to have bad withdrawals.

Arent you just running headers? there goes the neighbourhood... :yak:

Good luck at work, that would be the worst thing knowing you're soooo close.

Scott.