Driving Lights

Are driving lights illegal??

I got pulled over, well actually, I drove into the supermarket, and when I got out of the car he approached me (the same policeman who pulled me over a couple of weeks ago re the pssshht noise) and he said my car with the driving lights on was illegal unless I was in a hazardous situation.

I drive with them on at night time because it widens my field of vision, I drive mainly in the hills and with them on I can see the footpaths, cyclists and small animals (cats, dogs, koalas, possums, kangaroos etc.,) they're standard globes (that came with the car) and they're not brighter than my headlights, they just give me an extra 1-2 feet sideways.

The policeman said to me "I won't write you a ticket this time"

I was so ticked off! But it got me thinking, are they illegal??

Lesley

Members dont see this ad

Are they driving lights or fog lights?

Not sure of the law in other states, but i'm pretty sure that fog lights must be wired thru the parking light circuit, and driving lights must be thru the high beam circuit.

Fog light can be mounted below the headlight level, and driving lights (i think) must not be lower then head light level.

Were you driving with them on all the time?

To answer you question, no i don't think there illegal, if you were using them right.

a work colleague of my missus got a fine for driving with the fog lights on.

she was in her brothers car for the first time, and didn't have much idea on the light switches. she had her parkers on and the fog lights.

on a related note, i will flash anyone driving with their fog lights that i reckon are too bright. they're almost as annoying as driving past a 4x4 cos of how low i am :P

No problem with them..

They are fog lights, and I reckon you'll find that they work when your park lights are on. (as sammo said) There is no sensible reason that anyone would fit 'driving' lights that low, as they'd be useless!!

They are factory fit, so tell the officer to go f@$k himself (I do not condone such activities)!! Maybe they could be angled down a little if he is complaining about glare, and inform him that you are actually 'preventing' accidents, because you are making yourself more noticeable to other traffic!!

Cops aren't traffic inspectors, as much as they'd like to think they are... And they don't know the exact ins and outs of every roadworthy bylaw in existance. If you have more trouble, get the car inspected by a traffic inspector!! See what they have to say!!

*I hate opinionated cops who think that they are judge, jury and prosecutor!! They give nice cops a shithouse reputation!!*

Edited by st.nick

They are factory fit, so tell the officer to go f@$k himself (I do not condone such activities)!! Maybe they could be angled down a little if he is complaining about glare, and inform him that you are actually 'preventing' accidents, because you are making yourself more noticeable to other traffic!!

Cops aren't traffic inspectors, as much as they'd like to think they are... And they don't know the exact ins and outs of every roadworthy bylaw in existance. If you have more trouble, get the car inspected by a traffic inspector!! See what they have to say!!

Yes but, if driving with them on, and it ISN'T foggy, then yes its an offence. I think you'll find you can drive with them on if its foggy, smokey etc etc, read bad visability.

I very much doubt the 'I was preventing an accident' excuse will stand up in court!

ok I went to the police station and I asked them, pretty much stating what I said above, they said "unless it's foggy, or inclement weather you can't have them on when you have your low beam on" so I said, well can I get brighter head lights and he said sure! I said "well that's pretty stupid I'm going to figure out a way to get around it, oh, just out of interest, how much is the fine??" he looked it up in his book and he said $150.00, so I said, oh, maybe it's not worth it then!! he laughed, and said no probably not :D he also gave me the telephone number of the traffic inspector so I can ring and ask for more information .... :)

how stupid is that! I can put much brighter headlights on (which I don't particularly want) just to get that extra wideness each side...when I have perfectly good driving lights!

Lesley :)

Down here in Vic, I've never had an issue using the ones on my Commodore. Even during the day. In other states, such as the ACT they see it as a BIG no no though. Just throw some 90/100 watt headlight globes in, as you said, nothing can be done about those :D

Down here in Vic, I've never had an issue using the ones on my Commodore. Even during the day. In other states, such as the ACT they see it as a BIG no no though. Just throw some 90/100 watt headlight globes in, as you said, nothing can be done about those :D

Unless you have plastic headlight covers, They can go cloudy in a few hours with upgraded bulbs.

Down here in Vic, I've never had an issue using the ones on my Commodore. Even during the day. In other states, such as the ACT they see it as a BIG no no though. Just throw some 90/100 watt headlight globes in, as you said, nothing can be done about those :cool:

Unless their out of alignment.

Unless you have plastic headlight covers, They can go cloudy in a few hours with upgraded bulbs.

In some cases also burn the wiring out.

But for me. I've been fined a whole 15 bucks for driving with fog-lights on once and giving a "turn them off, now, please" once.... That was before i swapped over to the clear lens and after that nothing.

Except late one night when i high beamed a cop car :P "why so many lights???", "cause i do a lot of night-time country driving", "ok, have a safe one." and that was that :party: