Rotorolla

kangaroosa

Well its always been a dream of mine to own a Rotary powered car. Since I can't bare to part company with my Corolla and I already have a Daily car. I have talked to an engineer and I will be able to do a 12A N/A conversion. A 13B is out of the question due to new strict Vicroads laws introduced at the start of the year.

So I am picking up this little gem (see below) on Saturday for $1000.

Ausrotary

Part of motivation is that i am sick of fixing and breaking my 5K on alternating weekends. I have had nothing but drama's with it. Two weeks ago i converted back to solid lifters and a 297 grind Cam. Just this past Sunday the engine fell in a screaming heap, sounding like the crank bearings have grown legs and left my engine. Not bad for an engine that was rebuilt <15,000kms ago.

So the plan is to pull the 5K out and fix whatever needs fixing, and then sell it. Depending on offers, I may sell my twin DHLA 40's complete with manifold and linkages seperately. Maybe put my 4K back in so i can get it around to have structual welding to the chassis and whatever else the engineer requests.

Its so good to finally have some progress after years and years of yearning for a Rotary.

Time to clear out the back shed and start filling it with rotary goodness. :)

Edited by kangaroosa

Members dont see this ad

Not $395 keen for a plate containing all letters? You should think yourself lucky, we pay $2200 for that privilege in Queensland.

I've always had a soft spot for rotors but i don't think i could hack up my KE10 to do it. Good luck with it...

This is my brothers weekender running a ported 12A turbo....

post-1914-1190723960.jpg

Edited by mattress

myself and another guy was thinking of doing this to a t-18, but we figured without some serious work or a turbo a 12a would pull its weight around all that well, but in a lighter car it would be a wepone i would think .also where considering a 13b n/a, as you have stated thats out of the question in your state :)

Yep, its going in my Yellow KE30 2 door. The same one in my signature.

Havent really decided what kind of work i will do to the motor as yet. I was just concentrating on getting all the parts, and getting them fitted and 99% complete. Then i was just going to remove the engine and get the porting done as the final stage.

So the rolla will be parked for quite some time i expect.

Picked up the RX7 today. Havent managed to crank it over yet, as the Immobiliser wont play ball.

Maybe its got something to do with the door and bonnet being a real mess.

I'll have to track down the plunger/sensors amongst the buckled metal and make sure they are compressed.

Best of all, the 12A comes complete with a sidedraft weber and extractors which i didnt realise it had.

post-336-1191078844_thumb.jpg

post-336-1191079011_thumb.jpg

post-336-1191079077_thumb.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa

hey man, always liked the idea of rotory engines, just didnt like any of the cars that they came in, i think youve got a great deal, for 1000$ its awesome, and you will be able to sell of most of the rest of the Rx7 in parts, i hear rx7 parts are very expensive so you might get away with a "free" engine :)

just a quick Q, rotary's have their engine mounts at the front I'm pretty sure, how are you gonna go about putting that into a corolla? can you mount it to the radiator support thing? maybe I'm talking crap....

Yeah everthing up until s4/5 turbo motors had the engine mounts off the front cover. For ease of putting a s4/5 motor in an older mazda you can put a different front cover on and use the front mounts, but not back the other way.

Normally the difference in cross members is, say in a 929/rx4: 929 - cross member bolts in the same as a corolla in line with the LCA's. RX4 - bolts in above the front sway bar mounts.

FYI Kangaroosa - Thats actually a 48/51 IDA manifold with a 90o adapter for the side draft. So if you take the carby and 90o bit off you can wack an IDA straight on. :)

Yeah everthing up until s4/5 turbo motors had the engine mounts off the front cover. For ease of putting a s4/5 motor in an older mazda you can put a different front cover on and use the front mounts, but not back the other way.

Normally the difference in cross members is, say in a 929/rx4: 929 - cross member bolts in the same as a corolla in line with the LCA's. RX4 - bolts in above the front sway bar mounts.

FYI Kangaroosa - Thats actually a 48/51 IDA manifold with a 90o adapter for the side draft. So if you take the carby and 90o bit off you can wack an IDA straight on. :)

Seems like you know alot more about these engines than myself. I may have to PM you soon to pick your brains on a few things.

Is there any benefit in switching to an IDA weber over a sidedraft? I have seen 20B's with twin IDA's, but i would imagine 1 will be plenty on a 12A.

KE70DAVE - I havent really thought about how i will tackle the engine mounts. Still debating whether i take it to a pro and get them to do it whilst the chassis is getting beefed up. But yes, the engine mounts are on the front of the engine which doesnt make it any easier.

I finally got around to starting the engine yesterday. The immobiliser was giving me the run around, but I got the better of it.

It runs like a charm. Once it started, it just purred along without skipping a beat. No signs of blowing smoke or running hot, which is a relief considering it has been sitting for 8 months without being driven or even started.

I have just been informed that if i were to go the bridgeport route, It may be capable of 150rwkw. Thats only double and a little bit more than what i have currently. :) But for the first few months atleast, the engine will be untouched as its in better condition than i was expecting.

Edited by kangaroosa

No Worries mate. :D Happy to help.

I may love my K rolla's, but I'm still a mazdabator at heart!! :)

An IDA will give you a little bit more, but the sidey will be fine for now. IDA would use more fuel too though, mines got 235 main jets!! :) Which is about a 2.3-3mm hole!!!

Depending on how far everything sits back, you may be surprised how close the front mounts of the 12a will get to the k cross member!! It may be just a case of making some little spacer brackets to adapt the engine to the stock cross member.

Edited by Taz_Rx

Thats a very good point about the engine sitting further back (possibly). I have been pondering the whole setup for a few days now. Trying to sort out how i will tackle it all. First things first though....and thats stripping the RX7 and getting rid of the shell.

Best of all i just purchased a 1/2" Sidchrome Rattle Gun and 3/8" Stubby Air wrench, Snap On Impact sockets (metric and imperial), An engine crane and stand in one. My brother has got 2 welders so theres no excuse for me sitting on my bum anymore. :no: